U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 7,000 times
Talking Employment in Playa del Carmen

I am considering moving to Playa del Carmen with my wife. We are 50 years old. I wonder if I am able to find employment. My qualifications: Master of Business Administration, Project Management, IT Implementation, Business Process Planning. Languages English, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, German. Interested in a job for 1 year in Play del Carmen.

Any reflections from readers? Is this possible or should I just stay at home and continue being a short time tourist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 05:29 PM

3,163 posts, read 7,462,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riikar View Post
I am considering moving to Playa del Carmen with my wife. We are 50 years old. I wonder if I am able to find employment. My qualifications: Master of Business Administration, Project Management, IT Implementation, Business Process Planning. Languages English, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, German. Interested in a job for 1 year in Play del Carmen.

Any reflections from readers? Is this possible or should I just stay at home and continue being a short time tourist?
You should give it a shot, I have a friend from Norway whose passion is scuba diving, that brought him to Playa and was able to find a job, maybe it'd be better to go as a tourist and do some research, get contacts, etc.

Best of luck!

Old 03-06-2009, 06:22 PM

4,657 posts, read 5,228,285 times
Quote:

Most likely you'll be selling time shares. Every time we went there a lot of the "hustlers" in the actual resorts were American.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 6,196 times
Default Also Interested

Quote:

Riikar- Hello. I have also been considering moving to Playa del Carmen with my wife. I have been an IT project manager for approximately 10 years, working primarily with a Higher Ed institution in NYC. Besides the IT work, I write articles for magazines, newspapers, websites, etc. on the side. I am looking to escape the East Coast craziness, and either start a technology-based business in Playa del Carmen, or find employment at a university, hospital, etc. Have you had any luck? Do you have any advice? Please let me know what you've come across in your research.
Thanks!

Old 04-17-2010, 01:00 AM

1 posts, read 5,899 times
Default Job in Playa Del Carmen

For two years i have been pondering a move to the greatest place on earth:Playa Del Carmen!Our family have been vacationing there for 6 years! The people,the Night life,the Beach etc...

I have a great background in High Fashion Optical.I love my industry.
The Fashion Industry is my forte.Sunglasses sales is not only a big deal
in the US, abroad must be equally as exciting.I'm very proficient in my
Job field and again, i absolutely love what i do!

My extensive experience includes Customer Service,Graphic Design and
Photography with my AA Degree in Graphic Art.

I am on here hoping to meet that Perfect connection to achieve the Dream!

David V

Old 04-19-2010, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 5,874 times
With so many talented people in this discussion, I am sure the only thing you need is someone to start an IT business there. Many hotels have Crap web sites and also turisitic services like diving shops etc. I am a Mexican living in Norway an I am considering to open a web design store in Playa del Carmen. Someone want to join?? I also work for a norwegian IT company.
mod edit: user e-mail removed use DM instead

Last edited by Travelling fella; 04-23-2010 at 08:35 AM..

Old 08-25-2011, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,008 times
hello to every one, i am thinking to move to playa del carmen, I Am mexican citizen, and US.. I have been working in sales, and telecommunications, for the last 20 years, satellite, cable tv, internet digital catv, and fiberoptics, also thinkig in getting a sub-contract job, installing!! if any one has any advise for me, would be appreciated!!! SERGIO........

Old 09-07-2011, 07:14 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,496,515 times
All of you may be highly educated and experts in your fields, but you need to read up on the immigration laws of Mexico. I'm not an expert - but I can assure you that getting a FM-2 visa that allows you to work in this country is damned difficult. And expensive. Basically, you have to prove you have skills that a Mexican citizen cannot provide.

Further, expect to earn FAR less money than you currently make.

Most expats with successful careers here do one of two things. They telecommute for a company based in another country, or they open their own business (then understand they will be hiring Mexicans for the vast majority of their work force).

Sorry to kill the dream, but not every country has as open a border as the US.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
but not every country has as open a border as the US.
Sorry, are you for real? US having open borders ... which ones?

Old 09-16-2012, 01:31 PM

306 posts, read 252,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
All of you may be highly educated and experts in your fields, but you need to read up on the immigration laws of Mexico. I'm not an expert - but I can assure you that getting a FM-2 visa that allows you to work in this country is damned difficult. And expensive. Basically, you have to prove you have skills that a Mexican citizen cannot provide.

Further, expect to earn FAR less money than you currently make.

Most expats with successful careers here do one of two things. They telecommute for a company based in another country, or they open their own business (then understand they will be hiring Mexicans for the vast majority of their work force).

Sorry to kill the dream, but not every country has as open a border as the US.
Work visa is easy to obtain and only a couple hundred dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico