Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 10:54 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times

Advertisements

Having lived in Mexico City did visit many of the places.

Santa Fe is nice but built with the mindset of the "cart before the horse".

They had big plans which is okay if implemented properly.

Read the link and the "Criticisim" part.

Transportation is the key word with the population of the city and the need to move the masses.

The Metro does a terriffic job with all the LINEAS thruout the city. Busses of different sizes also contribute. Traffic is the pitts.

I lived there during the earthquake period in 1985 and saw the destruction of the bldgs and the rubble of the TV station with the two bodies still inside.

Regards to the Malls...I lived next to the Plaza Satelite which is very assessable and Perisur being via Metro Linea 3 after Universidad exit a small bus will take you to the entrance out at the street. Very beautiful mall...nicer looking then Satelite.

I would say the key word is transportation. Metro will take you anywhere in the city (very cheap) the only need would be the walking distance to it or taking a small bus/taxi to and from the metro which many do utilize.

I see Mexico City as the future Soylent Green.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 09:10 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,191,553 times
Back to Vallarta (actually Bucerias) for a two-week work trip! I'd dreaded coming because of the weather, it being the rainy season (and reportedly very HOT). Surprisingly, the weather has not been bad at all! A couple of those steamy hot days but otherwise it's been quite pleasant and only rained a little in the afternoons - the big rains and thunder storms mostly at night. I really never thought I could live here year-round but after this trip I just might have changed my mind! Not too many bugs either and that is a real relief!

Hardly any tourists this time of year, which is actually quite nice although a trip to the tile store in Vallarta showed a bustling town filled with lots of local activity. Occasionally we'll see a small group of ATV'ers making their way into the countryside (normally these groups average 25-30 on those noisy machines). Everything around us is SO green (startlingly green) from all the rain --- and NO dust, which is a joy. Our car has actually stayed clean!

I'm hoping for all the hotel and restaurant workers that the up-coming tourist season will be much better this year, after a disastrously bad one last season.

So soon we'll return to the TN mountains and impatiently wait until November when we make our winter trek back here. A Canadian friend says that's what they do each May; go back home and count the days til it's time to return to paradise once again.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:39 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post

Back to Vallarta (actually Bucerias) for a two-week work trip! I'd dreaded coming because of the weather, it being the rainy season (and reportedly very HOT). Surprisingly, the weather has not been bad at all! A couple of those steamy hot days but otherwise it's been quite pleasant and only rained a little in the afternoons - the big rains and thunder storms mostly at night. I really never thought I could live here year-round but after this trip I just might have changed my mind! Not too many bugs either and that is a real relief!
Geckos! They're a Vallarta resident's best friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal

Everything around us is SO green (startlingly green) from all the rain
That was always my favorite thing about the rainy season. So lush!

Don't forget to try the fish tacos at Marisma!

Now you've got me looking at travel rates for the Christmas holiday. I really miss it there and would so love to show it to my husband. Yanno, maybe we'll look into buying a time share.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:51 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,191,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Geckos! They're a Vallarta resident's best friend. That was always my favorite thing about the rainy season. So lush!

Don't forget to try the fish tacos at Marisma!

Now you've got me looking at travel rates for the Christmas holiday. I really miss it there and would so love to show it to my husband. Yanno, maybe we'll look into buying a time share.
Never been to 'Marisma'.... In Vallarta?? We rarely head that way anymore because there've been so many new stores, banks and retail built on and off 200. With friends we just discovered a brand new open air restaurant in Bucerias called 'El Recuerdo'. Great prices -- camerones empanizada with rice and salad for only 75 pesos! What a deal, plus they have camerones burritos for 25 pesos - muy delicioso.. In old town Vallarta we had breakfast the other day (on our tile trip) at famous 'Memo's'; wonderful eggs benedict or florentine w/fruit on the side for around 55 pesos.. So many wonderful and diverse places to shop and eat..

As to time-shares -- first time buyers pay through the nose but there are lots of re-sales available on several sites.

Buena suerte! Hope you can persuade your husband to visit - once a person visits Vallarta, they *always* come back..

Old 08-22-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post

Never been to 'Marisma'.... In Vallarta?? We rarely head that way anymore because there've been so many new stores, banks and retail built on and off 200. With friends we just discovered a brand new open air restaurant in Bucerias called 'El Recuerdo'. Great prices -- camerones empanizada with rice and salad for only 75 pesos! What a deal, plus they have camerones burritos for 25 pesos - muy delicioso.. In old town Vallarta we had breakfast the other day (on our tile trip) at famous 'Memo's'; wonderful eggs benedict or florentine w/fruit on the side for around 55 pesos.. So many wonderful and diverse places to shop and eat..
Again, jealous. Stop rubbing it in, k? Yes, Marisma is in old Vallarta. I think I posted a map somewhere in this thread. If you ever do get back to that area, I highly recommend it. It's just a street taco stand, but it really shouldn't be missed. Best. Fish. Tacos. EVER.
Quote:

As to time-shares -- first time buyers pay through the nose but there are lots of re-sales available on several sites.
Yeah, I kind of said the part about buying a time share in jest, as I know first-hand what a racket it is, since I was one of the OPCs who roped people into going to the presentations at the resort I worked at. But I do know the benefits, as that's how I ended up in Vallarta in the first place -- I went with a friend to stay at her mother's time share there, where she goes every year for what would now be more than 20 years.
Quote:

Buena suerte! Hope you can persuade your husband to visit - once a person visits Vallarta, they *always* come back..
Muchisimas gracias, amiga.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:05 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
This is the best thread I have read here yet. Didn't realize there was a forum for Mexico here.
My wife and I are frequest visitors of Mexico. Once to Cancun, once to Playa Del Carmen and 4 times to Puerto Vallarta. We fell in love with PVR and go nowhere else now. In fact, we are leaving on 10/10 for our 5th visit. Belgian waffles at Andale's! Can't wait!
Thanks for the PVR stories.

I dream of being able to move there. Has anyone that is not retired and not extremely wealthy moved to PVR and successfully made a go of it?

Where do you find home listings or rentals for normal people? I don't need to, nor can I afford, a mansion on the beach.
Craigslist has the occasional one: Aralias area Condo (http://pv.en.craigslist.com.mx/reo/1385719750.html - broken link) but they are far and few between. I know all Vallartians don't live in mansions!
Louis, my favorite bartender, tells me there are very affordable places in PVR. Just can't seem to find any places that are in English on the web to look!
I am learning Spanish. But I have a long way to go....

Million de gracias!

Old 09-24-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

This is the best thread I have read here yet. Didn't realize there was a forum for Mexico here.
My wife and I are frequest visitors of Mexico. Once to Cancun, once to Playa Del Carmen and 4 times to Puerto Vallarta. We fell in love with PVR and go nowhere else now. In fact, we are leaving on 10/10 for our 5th visit. Belgian waffles at Andale's! Can't wait!
Thanks for the PVR stories.

I dream of being able to move there. Has anyone that is not retired and not extremely wealthy moved to PVR and successfully made a go of it?

Where do you find home listings or rentals for normal people? I don't need to, nor can I afford, a mansion on the beach.
Craigslist has the occasional one: Aralias area Condo (http://pv.en.craigslist.com.mx/reo/1385719750.html - broken link) but they are far and few between. I know all Vallartians don't live in mansions!
Louis, my favorite bartender, tells me there are very affordable places in PVR. Just can't seem to find any places that are in English on the web to look!
I am learning Spanish. But I have a long way to go....

Million de gracias!
Welcome!

What's your definition of "affordable"? There aren't a lot of listings on these sites, but even an out-of-date ad might lead you to another place the person knows or has heard about.

Puerto Vallarta Classified Ads - Home and Condo Rentals

Puerto Vallarta´s Only Daily English Newspaper Vallartatoday.com

Puerto Vallarta Vacation Rentals

The Puerto Vallarta Scene - PUERTO VALLARTA REAL ESTATE & COMMERCIAL FORUMS

Good luck!

Old 09-26-2009, 11:31 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,046,013 times
Hi Everyone, I was reading several of these posts and there was one that jumped out to me about a poster not realizing there was a forum on Mexico and having questions for expats about buying in Mexico.

I myself am in Panama, but started a thread over on the general real estate forum so it would be easier for North Americans to realize it's a big world out there and provide a Q&A venue to expats living either permanently or part-time in a Latin American and/or Caribbean country. There are a lot of wonderful Latin American countries, so I thought all of us expats living in Latin American countries could help others decide which country would be a better fit for them - or whether they even wanted to relocate. With the high cost of living and other issues going on in other countries, especially NA, I felt that if expats shall we say came together to provide information to others, that it would be beneficial to people looking for a higher quality of life.

So while you have your own thread here and it's great I would love to have some of you post why 'Mexico' was your choice for buying a primary or second home, so NA could ask questions in order to make an informed decision. Please do not take me wrong: I am not trying to disrupt or take away from this wonderful thread you have here; just that a lot of people have a hard time finding the threads or, like the other poster commented, didn't even realize there was a thread like this on Mexico. My son's paternal relatives are from Mexico and it is a beautiful country, with wonderful people.

Anway, if you are so inclined, I would love to have you pop over to the other one, in addition to the one you already have here, and share your experiences and help other NA (possibly future expats) evaluate Mexico. As of now, people are only asking about Panama and that was not my intent when I started the thread - it was to provide an 'easy' place for people in NA to get info on all of the Latin American countries from an 'expat' point of view to help them make an informed decision. Thanks for listening - from one expat to another and you have a wonderful thread here! Q&A For Current Expats & People Considering Relocating to Latin American/Caribbean Countries

Old 09-26-2009, 01:10 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Welcome!

What's your definition of "affordable"?
Thanks Jill!
Affordable i.e. I would have to find a way to make money in Mexico. I don't mind working!

I don't have enough money to sit on my butt and watch the waves roll in on Los Muertos Beach for the rest of my life. lol
I could probably pay rent for a year before I'd be out of money. According to Luis I could rent a nice place for $400/month or a dump for $250. lol
Of course it won't be on a beach, and it might be small, but nice enough.

Agree c21 that there are other great places, Belize being another.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:31 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,046,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Thanks Jill!
Affordable i.e. I would have to find a way to make money in Mexico. I don't mind working!

I don't have enough money to sit on my butt and watch the waves roll in on Los Muertos Beach for the rest of my life. lol
I could probably pay rent for a year before I'd be out of money. According to Luis I could rent a nice place for $400/month or a dump for $250. lol
Of course it won't be on a beach, and it might be small, but nice enough.

Agree c21 that there are other great places, Belize being another.
Big world out there! That's why I'm hoping all of us expats in LA countries can help others determine if and where in LA would be a good fit for them. With my son being of Mexican decent, he seems fairly determined to go to Mexico after college but Mama's being selfish LOL the whole guilt trip - "but Mama is here"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico