Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 7,534 times

Advertisements

There are 4 variations of cost of living north is the most expensive, central about average and the botton is low in cost of living. Big cities has the advantages of having all services, and electronics cheaper. If you live on a small town or rural area is a lot cheaper except transportation and technology. Try to live in a small town but a big city is close by within one hour or so and so will get all the advantages. The average cost per month in the mid-range in Leon (1 million pop.) in central Mexico is about 700 dollars including rent on the first person, and about 200 dollars per additional person. Take considerations that the first month is the most expensive and quality of life you want such as driving a car or taking trips raises the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 05:16 PM

2 posts, read 7,255 times
Considering moving to masmoyloa Mexico. We are a family of 5, and recently I have been contacted for possible employment opportunity in substance abuse field, management. I would want my 3 children in private schools, and a 3 bedroom house. How much would we need per month in salary?

Old 02-21-2014, 05:17 PM

2 posts, read 7,255 times
excuse me for my spelling

Old 02-22-2014, 12:15 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,884,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aari View Post
Considering moving to masmoyloa Mexico. We are a family of 5, and recently I have been contacted for possible employment opportunity in substance abuse field, management. I would want my 3 children in private schools, and a 3 bedroom house. How much would we need per month in salary?
Probably close to what you spend in the US. Do you send your kids to private school now? That will be quite expensive because I am guessing you will want an English first school which never comes cheap. Housing might be a little cheaper than where you are now, depends on your current location, but that is an expensive part of Mexico. Its near, but not in Puerto Vallarta so you will probably do a lot of driving and cars are more expensive in Mexico.

All that being said I am sure a lot of people back home will be quite jealous of your new surroundings.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:50 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
Old thread but still worth while reading as to the current comparisons etc.

Was at Calimex (large grocery chain that I believe is related to Vons of Calif whose parent company is Safeway) go figure.

Any way needed an item that I was not able to find. One of the floor workers found it for me and of course it was labeled in Spanish was why I did not recognize the product. On reading the pkg saw that it was made in the US by a US owned Company and that applies to many items here thus a person could feel at home.

I could name a list of items but it would take too much on this thread. I was in the Grocery Trade in Calif for 23 yrs so know the industry real well being a business owner most of that time.

As the US/Peso exchange rate rises so does the cost of any item accordingly....some a wee bit and others way too much as I have seen lately.....I see as gouging the locals.

The US dollar still goes far enough to make it worth while living here...close to the border from Ensenada as I see it.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:01 AM

20 posts, read 43,839 times
It all depends on where and how you live. I lived in Paamul, a resort just south of Playa Del Carmen for 2 years and it was relatively expensive. Anywhere along the coast is nothing but tourists and therefore, high prices.

The further inland you get the cheaper things get. The mountains are beautiful, we chose Cordoba. We are buying 1,250 meters of nice, flat sugar cane field at the base of the mountains for $19,324.00. Utilities, that's septic, water and electric installed are right at $3,000.00. The home plans we gave the contractor are forthcoming but should ring in around $40,000.00 and that is a nice house.

Bear in mind, we have sold my place in Paamul which gives us $58,800.00 to start construction. I'll add another $20-30 thousand to get exactly what we want. We have a great contractor and the stones from the river are what he uses to build the home, so no cost for the bricks. This is the picture we gave him to work from.

A back view, again, it will be stone, not stucco. The room that extends will be a cover open patio.

This fireplace will be on the back of the house, facing the back yard.

As I said, I want even the well will look good, the pipes and pump will be hidden, the bucket is purely for looks. Texas has $200,000.00 homes with a crappy looking well.

You can buy a cheaper, much cheaper house in one of the villages already built, but this is exactly what we want, even the well will look good. Make sure all services are available such as phone and internet, there are many small villages close to large towns that everything is available.

The mercado where the locals shop are incredibly abundant. Grapes are 15 pesos for 2 kilos. A huge bag of lemons 10 pesos. The produce is fresh, cheap and not genetically modified.

Look at the prices on this pottery, that's pesos and they are big.

Don't believe the bribes thing. I've lived here for 2 years and driven an American plated vehicle all over and in and out of Mexico twice and never paid a bribe. Buy a scooter and the gas is all good.

Last edited by Andreas_Montoya; 09-28-2014 at 03:32 AM..

Old 09-15-2015, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,367 times
I live in P.V. and just walked back from across the street where Sayrianas is. I picked up a quart of fresh pork stew, litre of vodka, six pack light beer, and pack of marlboro lights. 10.25$us. thats cheap, you cant get close to that in the US. exchange was 16.75 today which is strong but still doesnt really effect prices here. BTW ,we are having an Independence day party, thats not all for me,lol.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:37 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
Default Omg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian kight View Post
I live in P.V. and just walked back from across the street where Sayrianas is. I picked up a quart of fresh pork stew, litre of vodka, six pack light beer, and pack of marlboro lights. 10.25$us. thats cheap, you cant get close to that in the US. exchange was 16.75 today which is strong but still doesnt really effect prices here. BTW ,we are having an Independence day party, thats not all for me,lol.
Do you actually need all that alcool and cigarettes? think of your health, man!
and wodka in Mexico where they have excellent home brands? did you ever try rasilla, local cooked tequila?

Old 09-16-2015, 02:05 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,884,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian kight View Post
Sure you did. Liter of vodka costs close to $10 alone. Did you pay for the other items and steal the vodka?

Old 09-17-2015, 06:57 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
I'd like to expatriate (or at least snowbird) in PV. The beaches are maybe not as nice as in Yucatan, but the scenery largely makes up for that. However I did find comparatively more expensive than Cancun. Your feedback ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico