Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 11,283 times

Advertisements

Any tips to save money?

Thank ye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 12:29 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,834,468 times
Very hard question to answer.

Depends on Income and old Bills to pay before or making while here.

As far as utilities etc they are very reasonable as long as the person does not go overboard.

Rent is resonable (mexican standards) while a person could build or buy a residence.

Basically depends on the financial resources to begin with in the US bank or maybe from SS only.

Suppose it would be possible to just rent a furnished home and live off the SS with NO extra bills...cheaper then a Motel.

I have my own home here and get $1000 a month of SS which takes care of my needs. (i'm single and retired)

Steve

Old 08-02-2009, 09:13 AM

6 posts, read 46,217 times
Is your home paid for, Steve?

Old 08-02-2009, 11:02 AM

Yep!!... I retired in 1996 after quitting business...bought my lot 2 yrs pryer in 1994. Built a bi-level 1450 sq ft house with a small two car garage and store room underneath in front.

Did all the woodwork myself without any hired help. In Mexico they use a lot of concrete blocks and red brick...this I contracted out. As to the woodwork, the floor above my garage...stairs...interior sub wall...roof with asbestes shingles...all done by me solo. Not bragging...only showing that a person can do wonders if able. The garage floor and inside the basic house is all cement foundation with a tile overlay. Today...anything heavier then a hammer is almost out of reach for me...age and health.

I paid cash for everything as I went and have no bills or mortgage to contend with other then my daily living expenses. As I stated, a person can live comfortably with the basics and not live high on the hog.
Some done here want a large beach front home in a gated community of Americans...to me a theft bait area. I'm the only American in this sub division...Mexican neighbors...never bothered...on a slope about 1/3 of a mile above the ocean with a beautiful view. My total outlay was $40,000 at first and has more then doubled in value with the inflation factor. Costs today will be higher of course. I do believe it is cheaper to build a persons own home then to buy and pay someone else a profit just for building. It will depend on a persons taste and desires...to me all the ritzy effect is not needed here in Mexico.

I am one person and SS is my only income...so a couple on same could live nicely if they can rent or maybe buy/build a small home.

Buenas Suerte (good luck)... Steve

PS: there is a NICE (four plex) condo unit for rent above me with a large sign out front...has been for a while (probably do not advertise)

Old 08-02-2009, 12:14 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,787,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Yep!!... I retired in 1996 after quitting business...bought my lot 2 yrs pryer in 1994. Built a bi-level 1450 sq ft house with a small two car garage and store room underneath in front.

Did all the woodwork myself without any hired help. In Mexico they use a lot of concrete blocks and red brick...this I contracted out. As to the woodwork, the floor above my garage...stairs...interior sub wall...roof with asbestes shingles...all done by me solo. Not bragging...only showing that a person can do wonders if able. The garage floor and inside the basic house is all cement foundation with a tile overlay. Today...anything heavier then a hammer is almost out of reach for me...age and health.

I paid cash for everything as I went and have no bills or mortgage to contend with other then my daily living expenses. As I stated, a person can live comfortably with the basics and not live high on the hog.
Some done here want a large beach front home in a gated community of Americans...to me a theft bait area. I'm the only American in this sub division...Mexican neighbors...never bothered...on a slope about 1/3 of a mile above the ocean with a beautiful view. My total outlay was $40,000 at first and has more then doubled in value with the inflation factor. Costs today will be higher of course. I do believe it is cheaper to build a persons own home then to buy and pay someone else a profit just for building. It will depend on a persons taste and desires...to me all the ritzy effect is not needed here in Mexico.

I am one person and SS is my only income...so a couple on same could live nicely if they can rent or maybe buy/build a small home.

Buenas Suerte (good luck)... Steve

PS: there is a NICE (four plex) condo unit for rent above me with a large sign out front...has been for a while (probably do not advertise)
I am researching Mexico for possible retirement on a limited budget. Where are you located in Mexico? Thanks!

Old 08-02-2009, 01:23 PM

I am in Baja 10 miles south of Rosarito...29 miles from the border for my medical (VA) needs etc.

Do buy most of my grocery needs in San Ysidro/Chula Vista...cross the border 2-3 times a month for the PO Box mail. My home is a retired vacation home and not a Legal residence thus crossing the border often. To be a Legal resident...would have to have a FM2/FM3 resident permit with all the requirements etc.

There are many Americans spending anywhere from $150,000 to $1.3 million on a beach house...depending on the style of home and location. Below me is a new enclosed gated group of homes starting at $350,000 at the gate...middle at $550,000...facing the beach $1.2 million. In my opinion...lot of money for a place in Mexico. To each his own and pocketbook I suppose. These homes are nice but still very close in wall to wall construction.

The Condos I referred to earliar has a sign (For Lease) as of this morning while it was For Rent way back. Old Rent was $500 a month at one time...today don't know.

I can only give my personal perspective...not being pro or con with Mexico.

Do not believe we need to live in a Shangra La... Utopian lifestyle.

Basics are fine as I will not be able to take things with me when the time comes.

Steve

Old 08-02-2009, 05:32 PM

6 posts, read 46,217 times
My husband and I want to live a simplier life, but we will need internet; would like to have satellite tv, but as far as the home goes, the more simple it is, the better we will like it; 1 bedroom, a computer/library room, a bathroom, and a nice sized kitchen would serve our purposes very well.

I thought to own land, Steve, you had to be a Mexican citizen, or have a Mexican friend be the owner, which still isn't assured the home will stay yours one that Mexican dies; his/her family would all have to sign off. Am I wrong? Or, is your situation a little different?

I just started reading about living in Mexico so I could be very wrong. And, renting would be fine, except you never know if you'll have to leave because they rent to someone else, etc.

Thanks!

Tammy

Old 08-02-2009, 06:27 PM

Understand where your from in the south.

That would a far place from Baja, Mexico.

Less humid and rain is something we do not have here.

Family has to be considered...age...medical needs etc.

Still, there are many Americans in my area.

E-Mail me for any precise info if desired.

Steve

Old 08-06-2009, 02:52 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,596,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I am in Baja 10 miles south of Rosarito...29 miles from the border for my medical (VA) needs etc.

Basics are fine as I will not be able to take things with me when the time comes.

Steve
I've read that there are a lot of retired Americans and Canadians in San Miguel de Allende

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 12-09-2012 at 11:26 PM..

Old 08-06-2009, 03:54 PM

Allende?...just north/west of Queretaro. I'm an American and a former canuck but that place is off the normal path. Went by but never went thru the place. Do not know what the attraction it may have over any other small Mexican town. Basically they are all the same. Most Americans do not speak any Spanish except for a few words to get along with...that is the way I see it here in Baja. When I lived in Mexico City it was cold turkey immersion but I still got along real fine with a few friends that spoke a few words of English.

As a retired senior person I Iook at any possible medical needs that may arise so am close to US services as my Spanish is limited.

Read your profile...young hispanic single student...maybe your just researching for info for a school class paper.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico