Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 01:26 PM

54 posts, read 208,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Mexico is becoming far too dangerous a place to travel to and in. The Drug cartels are taking over the country

And, it is getting worse by the day
Do you realize Mexico is a somewhat large spot of land? I live in the Yucatan, and I can tell you that we have experienced none of the well-publicized events that have happened up near the border. Your statement is like saying that because Detroit is unsafe, the US is far too dangerous a place to travel to and in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 01:40 PM

144 posts, read 330,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
oh come on, you really believe that? have you been in Mexico? more than 12 americans die every day because of violence, what can you tell us about that? is America dangerous? or the entire world is dangerous?

United States Crime Rates 1960 - 2007

What about all the innocent people that was killed, maimed, tortured by the American army during the dark bush years, or the vietnam war or all that, in that case America is more a threat to the world than Mexico by far.

being honest with you I believe you hold some grudge against Mexico because of illegal immigration from our country to yours, but you have to understand that illegal immigration is as much a problem created by the American government and system than the Mexican one, you should be as angry with Americans as with Mexicans because of this, but where's the outrage against American corruption, or abuses towards other weaker countries?

And believe me, you should be thankful that Mexico is the neighboor of the United States instead of China, India, Pakistan, etc, you think Mexico is dangerous? you should go to a really dangerous place like Pakistan
Actually, I HAVE been to Pakistan--but that is another story! I have also lived in Mexico for nigh onto 20 years. They say that "figures don't lie, but, liars figure." There are a variety of problemitas with statistics related to Mexico--to begin with, there is an extreme reluctance on the part of many Mexicans to report a crime e.g., kidnappings, robberies, etc.. Then, we have a situation such as "el pozelero de Theo" who disposed of bodies by soaking them in drums full of acid--no body, no homicide. I have attached a link for crime stats for the US and Mexico.

Murders (per capita) statistics - countries compared - NationMaster

Old 07-18-2009, 08:24 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Default U.S. passport holders, says it all!

Quote:
Been to Mexico MANY, MANY times

And yes - I believe travel in Mexico is becoming too dangerous - hence ONE of the reasons why tourism in Mexico is down - people are just becoming afraid to go there
With only 25% of Americans holding passports, and subtract those that need them for business travel, that tells the whole story!

Americans have well-earned the reputation of being the least adventuresome travelers on this planet.

OK, then why aren't they traveling to other parts of Latin America, like Central or South America, in lieu of "dangerous" Mexico?

When I mention that I recently took a trip to El Salvador (which I've come to love) or to Ecuador, how many mis-informed idiots will give me a shocked look on their faces, sputtering: But it's SO dangerous! Aren't you afraid of being kidnapped?

What can you say!!! I've given up expending the energy and words to try and correct their views, it's utterly hopeless!

Now, I just tell them: Whenever I arrive in El Salvador, I hire two body-guards to trail me 24 hours a day, and I even have them sleep my room at night, so I can sleep in peace without fears of being kidnapped in the middle of the night.

Even in the U.S, Americans are even fearful of traveling in their own countries. Good Lord! They go to NYC, and to descend into the caverns of a subway stop, to them, would be the greatest, most dangerous adventure of their lives!

I've said it, and I'll say it again: Direct all those Mexican tourism campaign dollars to other countries in the world where there's isn't such a high proportion of mis-informed idiots. Quit banging their heads against the walls!

Old 07-18-2009, 09:27 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
With only 25% of Americans holding passports, and subtract those that need them for business travel, that tells the whole story!
Please, keep in mind, it was only recently, very recently, that American citizens needed a passport for travel to Mexico.

So, IMO, your Passport example is not, at this point, credible.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:24 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,681 times
Quote:
Mexico is becoming far too dangerous a place to travel to and in. The Drug cartels are taking over the country

And, it is getting worse by the day
You are not alone. Many Americans think the same and the media has done a good job at making sure you think this. Let me give you the right information...this is a WAR. A declared war from the Mexican government to the cartels. The Mexican government is determined to take the power away from these cartels. So, when you hear about people who are murdered, most likely they were involved in the drug trade. Why is Mexico doing this? To keep you, American, safe!

See...Mexico some years ago, was never involved in drug dealing. The drug production into Mexico was coming from Colombia and Venezuela who would use the US/Mexico border to bring in the drugs. Yes, Hugo Chavez, president of Venezuela, faciliated the production for US consumption and Mexico was caught in between.

Mexicans got smart (so to speak) and told themselves, "Hey, I can get in the business too and these Americans will pay me dollars, instead of paying Colombians or Venezuelans." So the drug trade grew in Mexico in large numbers and these small businesses became huge powerful cartels who bribe government officials and kill anyone who sets foot in their way. They are armed and ready to kill with the weapons Americans provide them with. Mexico is not in the production of such destructive weapons, the US is. Now, it is not only affecting the border but the Mexican family, tourism, the image of Mexico and daily life in Mexico for the border towns where most of the war is happening.

The immediate solution is to fight this war but the Mexican government is also thinking that at some point, it will legalize the drugs to stop the violence and the total control and power of these violent cartels. Guess who they will consult with? Their dear American neighbor! Will you complain then? Now, you are probably thinking what about the 80 million or so that the US gave Mexico to fight the war for both countries. You should also know that Mexican tax payers are also paying 100 times more than that amount.

What Americans dont understand is that Mexico's image will be tainted for years to come but in the end, both countries will benefit from this war!

Old 07-19-2009, 03:53 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,435,824 times
It's all political, I don't believe in this drug war, and the majority of Mexicans don't either, that's why the PAN lost most of his power in this elections, because people were fed up with it and the PRI is against it, so we voted the PRI in again, this will teach the PAN hopefully, I love democracy.

and well on the side note, media is a very powerful tool to manipulate, Mexico is not descending into chaos, I've never felt unsafe in this country and I live here and I go to Juarez and all those dangerous cities frequently.

but oh well, what can you expect, some people still that the Iraq war was for a good cause because the media said so, so if the media says Mexico is dangerous it must be true.

For those who believe it, don't come to Mexico stay in America where you are safe or it is just an excuse to bash Mexico? if this is so ok do it, the ones that put their own country to shame are the ones who write this where everybody from the entire world can read it.

for those who don't, welcome to Mexico senhor!! hope you enjoy your stay.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:13 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,681 times
Of course there is no drug "war"! The word "war" is used innaproprietly and you mainly see this in the US news. How many drug busts in the US does the DEA do a month? How many of these are reported on a daily basis? How many of them reports use catchy words like "war"? None, so far. Yet the US continues to use any avenue to discredit Mexico. My guess is as good as you all...illegal Immigration in the US.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:27 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,435,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Of course there is no drug "war"! The word "war" is used innaproprietly and you mainly see this in the US news. How many drug busts in the US does the DEA do a month? How many of these are reported on a daily basis? How many of them reports use catchy words like "war"? None, so far. Yet the US continues to use any avenue to discredit Mexico. My guess is as good as you all...illegal Immigration in the US.
Yes but people who has opened their eyes to the truth, knows that a sizeable chunk of the USA's income are
#1 Weapons sales
#2 Drug sales
#3 Income made by businesses who employ ilegal immigrants

But it's more than obvious that a narcicistic country will blame others their own flaws to avoid seeing them, good thing that with Obama things are changing, but a single man or a group of men and women can't change a nation's mindset, unless they are Gandhi.

And the worst of it all is that our own government who is also very corrupt, has always been in bed with the USA regarding these things, this drug war is their newest tool to keep the drug cash flowing to them at the expense of us all.

Regards

Old 07-23-2009, 04:55 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
It's all political, I don't believe in this drug war, and the majority of Mexicans don't either, that's why the PAN lost most of his power in this elections, because people were fed up with it and the PRI is against it, so we voted the PRI in again, this will teach the PAN hopefully, I love democracy.

and well on the side note, media is a very powerful tool to manipulate, Mexico is not descending into chaos, I've never felt unsafe in this country and I live here and I go to Juarez and all those dangerous cities frequently.

but oh well, what can you expect, some people still that the Iraq war was for a good cause because the media said so, so if the media says Mexico is dangerous it must be true.

For those who believe it, don't come to Mexico stay in America where you are safe or it is just an excuse to bash Mexico? if this is so ok do it, the ones that put their own country to shame are the ones who write this where everybody from the entire world can read it.

for those who don't, welcome to Mexico senhor!! hope you enjoy your stay.
According to the Spanish news here in the U.S. many Mexicans were going to vote blank in protest, in order to show how dissatisfied they are with all the government not only PAN. Perhaps this is why PRI won because of the Blank votes? Anyway, why are you happy about PRI getting back in power? Did they not rule Mexico for over 70 years and did nothing to improve the nation (excluding NAFTA)? Wasn't PRI voted out of power because people were tired of their corruption? At least PAN is attempting to end the corruption in Mexico.

Am I correct or is the Spanish News in the U.S. also biased and leaving things out?

Old 07-23-2009, 05:20 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
You are not alone. Many Americans think the same and the media has done a good job at making sure you think this. Let me give you the right information...this is a WAR. A declared war from the Mexican government to the cartels. The Mexican government is determined to take the power away from these cartels. So, when you hear about people who are murdered, most likely they were involved in the drug trade. Why is Mexico doing this? To keep you, American, safe!

See...Mexico some years ago, was never involved in drug dealing. The drug production into Mexico was coming from Colombia and Venezuela who would use the US/Mexico border to bring in the drugs. Yes, Hugo Chavez, president of Venezuela, faciliated the production for US consumption and Mexico was caught in between.

Mexicans got smart (so to speak) and told themselves, "Hey, I can get in the business too and these Americans will pay me dollars, instead of paying Colombians or Venezuelans." So the drug trade grew in Mexico in large numbers and these small businesses became huge powerful cartels who bribe government officials and kill anyone who sets foot in their way. They are armed and ready to kill with the weapons Americans provide them with. Mexico is not in the production of such destructive weapons, the US is. Now, it is not only affecting the border but the Mexican family, tourism, the image of Mexico and daily life in Mexico for the border towns where most of the war is happening.

The immediate solution is to fight this war but the Mexican government is also thinking that at some point, it will legalize the drugs to stop the violence and the total control and power of these violent cartels. Guess who they will consult with? Their dear American neighbor! Will you complain then? Now, you are probably thinking what about the 80 million or so that the US gave Mexico to fight the war for both countries. You should also know that Mexican tax payers are also paying 100 times more than that amount.

What Americans dont understand is that Mexico's image will be tainted for years to come but in the end, both countries will benefit from this war!

You are VERY ignorant. There is no "Mexican Government" because the people who don the Mexican uniforms are one and the same with the drug cartels.

The situation is such that the Mexican people who have nothing to do with the violence are just as afraid of the "Mexican officials" as they are of the drug cartels. It is for this reason for example why all the murders of the innocent girls in Ciudad Juarez have yet to be solved as high ranking officials have blocked investigations.

As for the rest of you who think Mexico is safe my question to you is what kind of pipe are you people smoking? Mexico is one of the most dangerous places in the world and is currently in the lead for the most kidnappings in South America.

Mexico tops the list for number of kidnappings in Latin America « M3 Report

ciudad juarez killings - Google Videos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico