Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2009, 03:01 PM

7 posts, read 32,335 times

Advertisements

hi i am currently in the process of thinking of moving. I would like to live in a "pretty" city. Or at least the "nicest" on the texas border. My question is this.. im saving up money to move so i can live in mexico but work in the united states. My criteria for picking a city is single life(im 30), things to do for the mexican city as well as bridge traffic so i have narrowed it down to three choices. They are: Reynosa/Mcallen, El Paso/Juarez, and Laredo/Nuevo Laredo..out of the three i have only been to laredo and the bridge traffic was horrible! . I also want the city on the us side to be culturally mexican as well. I say that because i was living in piedras negras/eagle pass and EVERYONE just bout knows spanish and if you don't well good luck! haha.

Also if you put a city please tell me why that city! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 8,673 times
Default Reynosa/mcallen

Hello lalo2378, you are asking about what city to live in..............well i currently live in reynosa and work in mcallen.....now if it were up to me i wouldnt be living in texas period but anywho from the three choices you gave yeah reynosa/mcallen is your best shot!!!! One thing i really enjoy about living on one side and working in the other is getting a taste of both worlds in the same day its great......and also the dollar rate change is awesome.......te rinde bastante tu $$$$$$bueno good luck!!!!

Old 09-23-2009, 12:03 PM

64 posts, read 339,329 times
Lalo, you definitely want Reynosa/McAllen. If you live on the north end of McAllen, you can take the Pharr bridge to the Reynosa side, and will be close to the Reynosa airport. I don't know anything about residential areas on that side, though. Having access to an airport on either side of the border is very useful.

The Pharr bridge used to be pretty empty, but it's been "discovered". Still, it's usually not the gridlock that the older bridge directly into downtown Reynosa is.

If you wanted two cities, US & Mexican, that were physically closer together, you could consider Brownsville/Matamoros. I'd say that you'd want to walk across that bridge, though, if you had any hope of getting to the other side -- it's really crowded. I know you didn't mention these two cities, but they're so close to Reynosa/McAllen that you could consider them if you're offered a job in that region. (And Matamoros has a beach!) Both Matamoros and Brownsville have airports. Incidentally, Valley Transit runs buses all over the valley on the Texas side. You probably already know what a great bus system Mexico has.

There is emphatically a strong Mexican culture on the US side of the border in both McAllen and Brownsville. McAllen is a bigger, more vibrant city than Brownsville, and better placed to fly out of to Houston and other points north. I've only flown in & out of Reynosa, not Matamoros, so can't comment on which airport is more convenient.

I'd say the bottom line is that you really need to visit the region before making up your mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico