Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 05:48 PM

53 posts, read 93,139 times

Advertisements

http://www.city-data.com/forum/10244209-post5.html

Quote:
It has been a very long time (over 20 yrs) ago while living in Mexico City a University had the students picketing for some freebees.

When asking a friend what the students reason for picketing... he said that the students wanted the school to supply them with pencils and papers. How cheap can the students be?

The problem with the Mexican mentality is that they always want something for free and not have to pay for anything. I see this constantly where I live...and this is with those older then teens. They always are looking for a freebee or a cheap price. There is always the invisible hand being outstretched for a handout.

Not trying to be critical of them...it's just the way they are.

Steve
is the above true? the user who posted the above has stated that he lived in mexico and is aware of some events in mexico.

i dont think mexicans are generally lazy but ive only been there for a few times and the poster, steve bagu, may know more.

what are your thoughts on steve bagu's thoughts on laziness in mexico?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 07:38 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,681 times
Maybe you should ask him to explain that to you and why he prefers to still live among them.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:05 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Perhaps there's SLIGHTLY more laziness in Mexico than in other nations..because in Mexico, the ambitious can LEAVE....(!)

(Yes..It IS a joke....really! Just kidding!...I couldn't HELP myself.....)

Old 08-13-2009, 08:34 PM

972 posts, read 3,925,277 times
mmmm... I am lazy I dont know the others.... :lol:

Old 08-13-2009, 08:39 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
That wasn't my experience or observation at all. I found Mexicans to have one of the strongest work ethics I've ever witnessed. With the exception of the severely disabled, there was no begging. Instead, guys would hang out in parking lots with buckets of soapy water and a rag and offer to wash your windows for a few pesos while you shopped for groceries, or guys who'd get on the public bus with their guitar, walk up and down the aisle serenading, then come back for "tips". They were always doing something in exchange for payment for that "service". Would that our poor here in the U.S. have half the motivation.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:28 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
That wasn't my experience or observation at all. I found Mexicans to have one of the strongest work ethics I've ever witnessed. With the exception of the severely disabled, there was no begging. Instead, guys would hang out in parking lots with buckets of soapy water and a rag and offer to wash your windows for a few pesos while you shopped for groceries, or guys who'd get on the public bus with their guitar, walk up and down the aisle serenading, then come back for "tips". They were always doing something in exchange for payment for that "service". Would that our poor here in the U.S. have half the motivation.
Seriously, this matches my experience, too. In many travels in Mexico, I found LOTS of innovative ways to generate cash...but LITTLE laziness. I've always found the atmosphere there to be a little like the "old West" in US history....you think of a 'business', you hang out your 'shingle', and you start selling. Not too much in the way of 'zoning' or permits, etc.

The down side is that there's more corruption in Mexico than in the USA. Often, the tiniest 'businessman'...like a flower-seller, or a shoe-shiner...will find he must clear his plans with the local 'syndicate' that governs that sort of work in that neighborhood. You either 'pay up', or you can't work on that street.

I recall a conversation with a Mexican immigrant in Calif., who ran a TV repair shop. He was grumbling having just been visited by the local Fire Marshal and had to clear up a minor violation. However, he admitted that as annoying as the bureaucracy was (up here), that when he ran a similar business in Mexico, he never knew WHO was going to show up with a briefcase, flash a 'business card', and demand some sort of 'fine' or fee. Some of these were legitimate officials, while others were just 'crooks'...and it was hard (and a little intimidating) to challenge these guys...so you just paid up. The man said that all things being equal, he'd rather deal with an annual visit by the 'bureaucrats' here, than frequent visits by various 'inspectors' down there, not knowing who was who.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:43 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Default Thank God for that!

With my dealings with Mexicans, I believe any lack of ambition stems from the lack of strongly materialistic values.

I work with a number of Philipino immigrants. There's a marked difference between them and the Mexicans I work with. Many times, I've thought: If the Mexicans had the same materialistic values as the Philipino's, they'd drive the white man headfirst into the Pacific or the Atlantic!

Most of the Philipino's I work with are after the big, big banana, nothing less will do. Look at the cars in the parking lot. Those BMW's and other brand new cars don't belong to the Mexicans or the Blacks or the White people.

They're the first to gobble up any overtime and work 60-80 hours a week to attain their insane desires of having the Great American Dream. The two Mexicans that work there, you'd have to get a tow truck to get them to come over and work an extra shift or a few hours of overtime. They're most content with what they have. God bless them for that!

Lazy, no! More common sense, yes!

But we're talking about stereotypical Mexicans. The whiter skinned Spanish Mexicans would probably more apt to insanely pursue the Great American Dream up here and die a shorter death from workaholism.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:59 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

I recall a conversation with a Mexican immigrant in Calif., who ran a TV repair shop. He was grumbling having just been visited by the local Fire Marshal and had to clear up a minor violation. However, he admitted that as annoying as the bureaucracy was (up here), that when he ran a similar business in Mexico, he never knew WHO was going to show up with a briefcase, flash a 'business card', and demand some sort of 'fine' or fee. Some of these were legitimate officials, while others were just 'crooks'...and it was hard (and a little intimidating) to challenge these guys...so you just paid up. The man said that all things being equal, he'd rather deal with an annual visit by the 'bureaucrats' here, than frequent visits by various 'inspectors' down there, not knowing who was who.
Fascinating. Thanks for sharing that story.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:13 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Default The pendulum swings..........back and forth and.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

The down side is that there's more corruption in Mexico than in the USA. Often, the tiniest 'businessman'...like a flower-seller, or a shoe-shiner...will find he must clear his plans with the local 'syndicate' that governs that sort of work in that neighborhood. You either 'pay up', or you can't work on that street.

It's too early to count blessings.

Read your history of the U.S. and you'll find similar corruption that plagued our country from early on. At one time, in New York City, it was bribe city. If you wanted to get a building up in that city, it took a lot of pocket stuffing.

When I now read about the recent arrests of the corrupt sheriff's, immigration staff and police on the U.S. side of the border, assisting the drug lords and smugglers, this may be the start of a pendulum swing here.

The scenario isn't difficult to imagine, as state's are faced with unprecedented budget shortfalls.

Could the day come when, being unable to pay our police a truly living wage, we'll be paying cash for our moving violations on the spot? Or paying off the police to run an illicit business?

Third world translates to corruption. And as the U.S. falls from 1st world, to second, and..............................

Old 08-14-2009, 02:21 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
It's too early to count blessings.

Read your history of the U.S. and you'll find similar corruption that plagued our country from early on. At one time, in New York City, it was bribe city. If you wanted to get a building up in that city, it took a lot of pocket stuffing.

When I now read about the recent arrests of the corrupt sheriff's, immigration staff and police on the U.S. side of the border, assisting the drug lords and smugglers, this may be the start of a pendulum swing here.

The scenario isn't difficult to imagine, as state's are faced with unprecedented budget shortfalls.

Could the day come when, being unable to pay our police a truly living wage, we'll be paying cash for our moving violations on the spot? Or paying off the police to run an illicit business?

Third world translates to corruption. And as the U.S. falls from 1st world, to second, and..............................
That is very interesing and thanks for sharing. As someone who has worked with a couple of law enforcement agencies here in the US, corruption is not strange to me but you tell that to the average American and they flip out. I do believe though, like you said, we will see more corruption here in the US as it goes hand in hand with the ecomony. There is higher crime rates in areas where there is poverty and you cant help think this is what will happen in the US with so much unemployment.

Anyway, regarding laziness, I think it can also be mistaken for a more relaxed social environment in the work place in Mexico vs the US. In the US, work is work and there is no time to waste. No time to socialize with co-workers. It's all about work. In Mexico and I would say, in most Latin American countries, work is a lot more relaxed. You dont have to open up your business at 8:30 am SHARP. You can be 15 minutes late, 20 minutes late and you are still on time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico