Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 03:32 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,491,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
With all the pro Marijuana people on C-D who think that smoking weed is not harmful...have a question.

Would you allow a Brain Surgeon or a Cardioligist to operate on you knowing that they smoked weed?.

Do you trust these people with your life believing the stuff is NOT bad.?

Would like to hear some answers.
Knowing that they smoked weed? Recently?

Alcohol is legal and we don't allow our Aircraft Pilots to have had anything to drink prior to flying a plane:

Quote:
Title 49 Part 91 Section 91.17 Alcohol or drugs.
(a) No person may act or attempt to act as a crewmember of a civil aircraft --
(1) Within 8 hours after the consumption of any alcoholic beverage;
(2) While under the influence of alcohol;
(3) While using any drug that affects the person's faculties in any way contrary to safety; or
(4) While having an alcohol concentration of 0.04 or greater in a blood or breath specimen. Alcohol concentration means grams of alcohol per deciliter of blood or grams of alcohol per 210 liters of breath.
FAA: Home

Just because it is legal, doesn't mean you won't be governed based on your occupation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 03:47 PM

492 posts, read 1,149,320 times
Quote:
With all the pro Marijuana people on C-D who think that smoking weed is not harmful...have a question.

Would you allow a Brain Surgeon or a Cardioligist to operate on you knowing that they smoked weed?.

By the same token would you allow a brain surgeon or cardiologists to operate on you knowing that they were alcoholics, prescription drug abusers, or emotionally unstable?
People do not become alcoholics because alcohol is legally available. So why would there be any difference in the number of pot-abusers if pot is legally available?

Old 08-31-2009, 04:01 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,433,543 times
Quote:

Yes I would, unless he wanted to operate me stoned, but what he does when he's not on duty is not of my business.

hehehehe how many cardiologist or brain surgeons smoke weed? for sure a lot, and I bet their patients don't even know. I know many doctors who smoke weed and they know is not harmful (in moderation)

Old 08-31-2009, 04:09 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,918,943 times
The purpose of my question was thinking back to last smmer when I had Spinal Surgery...I could have been paralized from the waist down if the Neurosurgeon had a history as a pot smoker.

Makes NO difference what field the surgery is in...they need a sensative hand and a clear brain.

My understanding is that those who smoke pot have the evidence of same for so many hrs or days since the last joint. Maybe I'm wrong...not being a user or around the stuff...only what I read.

Two or Three hits a day should have some permanent effect on the system.

A person who has one can of beer for the first time can be drunk. As they drink more and more the effect takes longer thus some may drink one or two 6 packs before getting high. The same could be said about alcholics who start out drinking beer...graduate to whisky...then bourbon...then scotch and when they are down and out revert to cheap wine as a mode for getting drunk. They are then called "WINOS" for obvious reasons.

Having been in the Liquor field/trade for 23 yrs have seen my share of drunks. Those days drugs was not so prevalent as it is today.

Steve

Old 08-31-2009, 04:17 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,433,543 times
Quote:
Makes NO difference what field the surgery is in...they need a sensative hand and a clear brain.

My understanding is that those who smoke pot have the evidence of same for so many hrs or days since the last joint. Maybe I'm wrong...not being a user or around the stuff...only what I read.

Two or Three hits a day should have some permanent effect on the system.
Dear Steve, it's good to know that everything went ok on your surgery

imho the problem with marijuana is similar to the problem with Mexico in the USA, people read news that scare them and believe them, without experimenting the truth by themselves.

One thing is what the media says, and another is the reality, pot is much less harmful than alcohol, it doesn't leave you with a hangover, it doesn't impair your judgement or reflexes as much as alcohol, and you get back to your senses much faster, the only difference is that it was demonized before because it was illegal, but now that smoking it is not a crime (in Mexico at least) those myths will fall.

I've been a marijuana user for 13 years

Old 08-31-2009, 04:42 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,264,797 times
Pot is not harmless. Physiologically it is harmful:
How Marijuana Causes Memory Deficits
Marijuana Damages DNA And May Cause Cancer

Psychologically it is harmful. My gf is a psychotherapist who treats people with addictions. Drugs can easily wreck your life. If it is legalized, we will just have more casual users, more addictions, and an even larger burden on the health care system.

We have yet to see how this turns out in Mexico or Argentina.

Recreational drugs are just that. Just for recreation. They are not required for daily subsistence. They aren't required to keep people alive. They aren't needed for anything. Now if the gov't decided to regulate my blood pressure medicine, then I may get upset. But seriously we can do without illegal drugs.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:25 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,390,574 times
Wooo hOOOOO!!! Who cares if it's harmful? The point is whether or not I want to pay 26,000 a year to keep a drug addict/user in jail. Since drugs are addictive, most users will not stop using them, and prison sentences only make selling drugs more profitable for criminals. Wooooo Legalize it!

Old 08-31-2009, 06:06 PM

15 posts, read 89,767 times
Pot is NOT "legal" in Mexico.

“The law allows for prosecution of those caught near school zones,” he said. In addition, he said, offenders caught a third time with a small amount of drugs face prosecution. “There's no decriminalization.”
Mexican Interior Secretary Fernando Gomez-Mont

In other words, when you are "caught," you are ID'd and given a citation and referral to a drug treatment facility. You lose the dope.

Get caught in a school zone, then it's classified as "illegal possession." Get caught under other circumstances 3 times and it is deemed "illegal possession."

You go to jail for "illegal possession."

Do not mess with this in Mexico. It can take months, if not years, to get your case presented. This is no place to tempt fate. Respect the laws of the land.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:21 PM

23,206 posts, read 29,014,764 times
Default Let's not overlook the sleep-deprived!

Evidence has now revealed that sleep-deprived drivers are no less dangerous on our roads than drunk drivers. We have sobriety checkpoints, but no sleep-deprived checkpoints? Hasn't the time come for that, to make our roads safer?

And, given the hectic schedules of doctors/surgeons, would I want a sleep-deprived Doctor operating on me either?

I work in a health care facility. Sometimes, due to someone calling sick, you're forced to work a double shift. We're talking 16+ hours.

One of the nurses at my facility, once worked a double shift, and on the way home one morning, she fell asleep at the wheel, car jumped the curb and hit a palm tree. Lucky for her and others, she didn't cross the line of the road and crash into an oncoming vehicle with serveral occupants in it.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:40 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,500,690 times
Doctors are usually pill heads instead of pot smokers, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico