Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 09:34 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I agree with most of what you said. Except, can you please explain yourself on the bold? Thanks
Not sure of Leovigildo's meaning in the "nice looking" people required in telenovelas....but I DO remember some years ago, on several visits in Mexico, being struck by 'help wanted' cards in the front of shops...(the 'se solicitan' looking for clerks, receptionists, etc., presumably female) in which, in addition to typing skills, promptness, etc., the phrase "de buen aspecto" was pretty much a standard requirement. It was always pretty much taken for granted that this didn't refer to weight...or dress..or hairstyle, but that they were looking for help that didn't look TOO 'Indian'...at least, that's the way it was explained to me, in private, many times.

Whether this is still part of the 'small business' culture of Mexico, I'm not sure...Maybe it still exists...or maybe it's gone the way of the culture of Utah, in which want ads frequently stated, among their other requirements "LDS preferred" (i.e. Mormons). I assume today that's illegal in Utah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 09:42 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,664 times
beauty is on the eye of beholder, some indians girls looks very nice Buen aspecto, could means many things as:clean appearance, dress, education to speak, etc.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:13 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
beauty is on the eye of beholder, some indians girls looks very nice Buen aspecto, could means many things as:clean appearance, dress, education to speak, etc.
Officially, of course, it COULD mean all those things. "Good people skills" COULD mean the ability to work with the public....at one time, though, in America, "Good people skills" meant 'the applicant must be white".

Go figure.....

Old 09-10-2009, 11:54 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,664 times
It refeers generally at weight. If you´re fat is difficult to find work as recepcionist, secretary, etc. Mexico is a discriminatory country, but that is different of being racist.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:08 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
years ago I was in and out of Mexico on a somewhat regular basis. Mostly I would go down to Veracruz, the city and acclimate to the warmth and refresh my ear for the Spanish language. After 6 mo. in whichever country I was working, I would return to Veracruz to get used to being around humans again and to enjoy real food as opposed to the camp chow. Soy gringo puro, and never had any trouble at all in Veracruz, wonderful town, astounding food and really pleasant people. I have never been one to go to mexico and hang out with a few thousand gringos. I can do that in the states.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:04 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobelover View Post
Zatecana, I have lived in Mexican-American communities throughout my life as well as with whites. I can tell you I have seen more racism toward blacks when being among Mexican-Americans. Maybe Mexicans form Mexico are different? Being from Cali, would you agree that it seems many Mexican-Americans are prejudiced against blacks?
That is a really complicated answer that is not pertaining to Mexico but I will be very brief.

Yes, there is prejudice against Blacks from Mexican-Americans. There is also prejudice against Mexican-Americans from Blacks. Its mutual and its mostly in the ghetto where there is a lot of poverty. The problem is mostly economical/financial and territorial. They fight for territory in the ghetto because the more territory, the more their drug sales go up. These gangs are controlled from the prisons where most of the rivalry begins.

Outside of the ghetto, they are friends, family and they get along very well. I know plenty of Mexican-Americans that even adopt Blacks into their families. I know a lot of Mexican-Americans that intermarry or are in serious relationships with Blacks. Many Latinas (including Mexican-American women) marry Blacks.

There have been a few threads where Mexicans claim that there is some racism against Mexican Blacks in the South. I dont know if it does because I have never been there. However, if it does happen, it wouldnt suprise me because Blacks are the most descriminated around the world. I happen to have family that are Black. They live in the Federal District where there is a lot of diversity and that can possibly be the reason why they dont face the same challenges as those that live in a heavily concentrated Black population as it is in the south.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
-------

He's saying that TELENOVELAS are not real because most people there are white. And I told him that all the US. Movies and Series are not real because they have racial quotas. For example, scientists and intellectuals are always black, criminals are always white or latin, etc.
Thanks for the clarification.

Very few telenovelas have an ALL WHITE cast. In fact, I can only remember one that had the majority white and I have been watching telenovelas since I was born...

Last year, I remember talking to a few of my friends from Nigeria who mentioned they were in love with a telenovela called "Cuando Seas Mia".

YouTube - Paloma y Diego

They asked me why that telenovela has an all white cast as if they were in Spain and not Mexico. One even said, "As if we dont know what Mexicans look like." I had to explain about our diversity and how we have people of all colors, even within our 80% mestizo culture.

I think people expect to see a cast with men and women in guaraches and gabanes. That is not reality. Most people dont dress with those things unless they live in a small town or a village/ranch.

What is true is that a lot of Latina superstars will do anything to have a pointy nose and maybe...just maybe that gives them the look that most outsiders will point to them and say...'they look white'.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Not sure of Leovigildo's meaning in the "nice looking" people required in telenovelas....but I DO remember some years ago, on several visits in Mexico, being struck by 'help wanted' cards in the front of shops...(the 'se solicitan' looking for clerks, receptionists, etc., presumably female) in which, in addition to typing skills, promptness, etc., the phrase "de buen aspecto" was pretty much a standard requirement. It was always pretty much taken for granted that this didn't refer to weight...or dress..or hairstyle, but that they were looking for help that didn't look TOO 'Indian'...at least, that's the way it was explained to me, in private, many times.

Whether this is still part of the 'small business' culture of Mexico, I'm not sure...Maybe it still exists...or maybe it's gone the way of the culture of Utah, in which want ads frequently stated, among their other requirements "LDS preferred" (i.e. Mormons). I assume today that's illegal in Utah.
It could be true but I doubt that it meant "skin color". As you know, some Mexicans get offended when they call them "Indio" or "India". So an indian look...would be someone wearing "guaraches" instead of high heel shoes or "reboso" instead of a dress shirt. This is not appropriate attire for work. I have seen many brown skinned Mexicans working. I doubt that they would get a job if they were dressed with the above I just described.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:47 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

Actually the LDS has a long history of injurious behavior to any non-LDS, check out the green meadows massacre. Laws can be enacted to ill-legalize prejudice, but attitudes change more slowly than do laws.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:02 PM

549 posts, read 1,665,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobelover View Post
I understand that Mexico was a western country when the U.S. did not exist. When did I say otherwise? How has Mexico evolved compared to the U.S. I guess it has not evolved much, however its the tradition that makes it great...I guess.
You state Americans associate everything with race, just curious as to when you think Mexico will have a black president? Also curious as to when telenovelas will have actors who look like 80% of the Mexican population. According to many blacks in Guerrerro, they are treated as second class citizens. I also understand it is considered an insult to be called "Indio" in Mexico. Is this your idea of racial harmony?
Yes, Mexico is based on three cultures, while U.S. is based on many more cultures who have contributed to our nations history. Chinese, poles, Italians, English, Mexicans, Jews all adding to the mix. All American and yet allowed to call themselves, mexican-american, italian-american, chinese american, etc. without their adopted country feeling threatend by the hyphen. How can we not realize white people are a part of Mexico with guys like vicente Fox, or mestizos like 80% of your population, or indians like many of your zapatistas who are so content?
I doubt you will actually understand my comments, or even try to as you seem to have blinders on, trying to preach while ignoring my words or pretending i said something I never did.
peace

The same happens in the U.S. we love to show white (Australian, European, and Canadian) actors in our tv shows and Hollywood movies. Far from reality...the truth is that the U.S. is not a European homogenous blooded country. The U.S. is multiracial and the media doesnt show the true demographics of our country in the movies. Just watch an episode of "Friends"...please...
The same happens in Mexico and the other countries of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico