U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-20-2009, 10:48 AM

11 posts, read 17,379 times
Default mail system

I just sent a letter today from the states to Mexico. More specific...Playa Del Carmen. What's the chances the recipient recieves it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-20-2009, 11:20 AM

472 posts, read 376,691 times
100%, but will take longer than what you are used to... give it 2-3 weeks.

Unread 10-20-2009, 11:48 AM

4,963 posts, read 8,730,402 times
Yep, 2-3 weeks sounds about right if my memory serves me right.

20 yrs ago it was the same.

At the time was told (informally) that all mail had to go to Mexico City first and then rerouted to the destination of recipient.

Modern technology sure is nice.

Unread 10-20-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
100%, but will take longer than what you are used to... give it 2-3 weeks.

It was a "trial" mail to see if it makes it. We have been to Playa 13 times and have known this bartender at resort we stay at 11 times. We were there 2 weeks ago and went to his home for dinner to meet his wife and 2 children. It was awesome. His address was very long, but I am given it a try. Now my next question....he will mail me back if he gets it....will I get his mail? Then if I do get his response and I want to send his children a bday card with say $5.00 in it. Will they get it or does someone open the mail?

Thanks for your responses BTW.

Unread 10-20-2009, 03:29 PM

Mail...NO...PKGS probably YES...in case of a duty needing paid.

Some yrs ago did send a pkg to a friend of mine in Mexico City...he had to go to the PO where the pkg was opened for inspection with him there.

Unread 10-20-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Mail...NO...PKGS probably YES...in case of a duty needing paid.

Some yrs ago did send a pkg to a friend of mine in Mexico City...he had to go to the PO where the pkg was opened for inspection with him there.
OK now confused. Can I send a birthday card that will not be opened? I just want to add a little peso for the kids. Not sending a package.

Unread 10-20-2009, 04:00 PM

And you nver answered if I will receive a response from him if he sends it....which I know he will.

Unread 10-20-2009, 04:23 PM

972 posts, read 2,288,346 times
Who sends letters this days? Send a email....

Is forbiden to send money in the mail service of Mexico.

Unread 10-20-2009, 04:51 PM

Letters are NOT opened to my knowledge...only pkgs at the Post Office that I was told.

In the states I always send cash $40-$50 to my Great Grandson in a birthday card or christmas card that is placed between two pieces of paper that does not make the envelope bulky. From the outside it's just a greeting card.

Would imagine any envelope that appears to be stuffed with something is a flag regardless of where it is from or going too.

In the US I got a letter from Nigeria that had been opened and resealed with tape...Govmt or PO.

It was one of those SCAM money letters that wanted to deposit money into my business account.

Before marrying my Mexican wife yrs ago I sent many letters to Mexico City and received them also from her...never any problem.

As to the above reference to using E-Mail.....NOT everyone has a computer or has a need for one...thus the Postal Mail.

Regular land phones are available and almost everyone has a cell phone.

Heck...here in Baja I still get my phone bill every month by mail while the Elect (CFE) comes by hand delivery attached to my meter every two months.

Steve

Unread 10-21-2009, 08:08 AM

972 posts, read 2,288,346 times
In Mexico, the law prohibits sending cash in sealed envelopes. It must be through the purchase of Drafts or Money Orders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico