Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 06:05 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,843,458 times

Advertisements

There are two simple answers. The first deals with crime. In Mexico, only a very tiny fraction of law-abiding citizens ever become victims of crime. Statistically, the risk remains very low. The risk of murder or kidnapping for a person not associating with known criminal activity is lower than the risk of motor vehicle fatality in the USA.

Second, the Americans emigrating to Mexico consist largely of people who do not need to work for a living within the local labor economy. They are either pensioned retirees of professionals who can work at home in a global labor marketplace. So they gain from the reduced cost of living, without being affected by the lower wages.

There is a third factor, which most people have not through through very well. The future in the USA does not look all that rosy to a lot of people, fearing a general economic catastrophe. Western industrialized nations will feel that crash much more severely than in most third world countries, because one of the first casualties of global economic disorder will be access to energy. Mexicans are far less energy-dependent than Americans. Few Mexicans own and fuel cars, and there are few places in Mexico where homes need to be heated or air conditioned or even insulated or, for that matter, glazed. The electrical consumption of a typical Mexican household is a few light bulbs. Food distribution will be less catastrophic in Mexico, where more people eat more of a diet based on food grown locally or regionally, requiring less organized transport to feed the population. A post-apocalyptic America will see people fleeing to Mexico, where life will remain manageable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 04:46 PM

6,490 posts, read 7,501,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinhobo6 View Post
lol Touche Pac.

Miss Lionness... could you verify that you even own a passport. Or do you just indulge in the Travel Channel when you're not trolling sites?
She was never heard from again and probably will never post again. Her 3 posts were only negative things about Mexico and Honduras.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:54 AM

941 posts, read 1,911,722 times
Here I was thinking I was gonna read of someone who WAS moving there. What a waste of a thread. The OP obviously has never been there so it makes no sense to advise others to stay away. Just weird...

Old 06-16-2015, 02:59 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,154,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLioness View Post
It really makes me wonder why would anyone move to Mexico from the US or even go on a vacation there?

Mexico is a badly crime ridden, dirty third world country. A corrupt place overall, where the government, the police and the drug cartels are buddies. It is a place where most crime will never be reported because people don't want to be mugged or raped by the police again.

Before you misunderstand me, I am not saying that Mexico is the most dangerous place on earth, but it is definitely among the top ten. I'm just shocked to see some people compare Mexican cities to American ones. They are not even close economy-wise and safety-wise. US and its cities aren't perfect either, but are so much more civilized and safer than Mexico. I have seen many posts on this site stating that Mexico is not dangerous and if you don't buy drugs or do stupid things, it is very likely that nothing happens to you. People stop being careless and portray Mexico as a safe country. It is not. It is comparable to South African and not the USA.

Those who travel frequently to Mexico or moved there permanently... aren't yall afraid of ending up in a body bag? I would never step a foot in Mexico, not even for a million dollars.

It really makes me wonder why people start threads to degrade a Country that they have never been to or lived in themselves.
They really have no idea what the actual Country is like yet they feel they are experts when it comes to what the country is like simply because they "read" somewhere what it is like.

I would never start a thread on a public forum on the world wide web to degrade a Country I have never been to or lived in...........not even for a million dollars.......

Old 06-16-2015, 04:24 AM

4,497 posts, read 4,589,982 times
As a late middle-aged white American, would it be safe to drive my Mazda 3 with Texas plates from Nuevo Laredo to Monterrey, without being stopped and harrassed by the police demanding cash money? Would I have to worry about my car being stolen if I went in a restraunt or grocery store or gas station? What would be the chances of me being a random crime victim on the road to or in the city of Monterrey, if I obey the laws, be respectful, and stay in well lighted areas with lots of people around ? I would love to go beyond the border cities of Mexico and see the Mexican countryside, it's small towns and large cities, but I've been leary about it ever since the mid to late 80's or early 90's. I always thought I would like retire to a small beach town on Mexico's Pacific Coast, southwest of Mexico City, I guess it would be and take life easy from here on out.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:34 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,227,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
As a late middle-aged white American, would it be safe to drive my Mazda 3 with Texas plates from Nuevo Laredo to Monterrey, without being stopped and harrassed by the police demanding cash money?
Yes, is safe.

Quote:
Would I have to worry about my car being stolen if I went in a restraunt or grocery store or gas station? What would be the chances of me being a random crime victim on the road to or in the city of Monterrey
Not at all. Monterrey is very safe at this time.

Quote:
I would love to go beyond the border cities of Mexico and see the Mexican countryside, it's small towns and large cities, but I've been leary about it ever since the mid to late 80's or early 90's. I always thought I would like retire to a small beach town on Mexico's Pacific Coast, southwest of Mexico City, I guess it would be and take life easy from here on out.
Go for it!

Old 06-22-2015, 10:53 PM

941 posts, read 1,911,722 times
Quote:
As a late middle-aged white American, would it be safe to drive my Mazda 3 with Texas plates from Nuevo Laredo to Monterrey, without being stopped and harrassed by the police demanding cash money? Would I have to worry about my car being stolen if I went in a restraunt or grocery store or gas station? What would be the chances of me being a random crime victim on the road to or in the city of Monterrey, if I obey the laws, be respectful, and stay in well lighted areas with lots of people around ? I would love to go beyond the border cities of Mexico and see the Mexican countryside, it's small towns and large cities, but I've been leary about it ever since the mid to late 80's or early 90's. I always thought I would like retire to a small beach town on Mexico's Pacific Coast, southwest of Mexico City, I guess it would be and take life easy from here on out.
We drove the last year and it is safe. However we stuck to tolls and let me say it is spendy, especially that route, but it is fast and safe. Just be prepared and you won't have any surprises. Like get your car permitted and have your tourist permit(can do this all at once in border but takes a bit of time especially right now) when you start to leave NL they WILL stop you to check this.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:48 PM

468 posts, read 265,128 times
Was there for four years and was never uncomfortable , I have had bad experiences here in the US tho Portland, El Paso, LA and Fort Worth.
There are bad area's everywhere , not just in MX

Old 07-01-2015, 04:54 PM

14,612 posts, read 17,473,951 times
Quote:
As a late middle-aged white American, would it be safe to drive my Mazda 3 with Texas plates from Nuevo Laredo to Monterrey, without being stopped and harrassed by the police demanding cash money?
While I wouldn't consider it dangerous, the local police can be very grasping. The federal police will stop you when you cross state borders, but they don't steal.

You can usually negotiate to a reasonable price with local police. But just hand them a nice photocopy in plastic covering of your passport and driver's license to the beat cop and say you lost your regular ones. Make several copies. He will argue with you, but they basically hold your documents for extortion. If you are confronted by a larger contingent then you should say you found your originals. But one or two cops are just playing chicken.

They will threaten to take you to police headquarters, but it really is the last thing they want to do.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:42 AM

128 posts, read 148,782 times
There is some truth to the media hype but it mostly in certain areas just as it is here in the US.
For example the recent tragedy in SC is not a reflection of the entire US.
The OP's comment about an entire country would be compared to saying "I'm not
going to the US because of all the crime in Detroit".
Sounds like a sock puppet is lurking the forums.

I've been to other Latin American countries and so far Mexico tops my list.
I know someone here (US) who's cardiologist commutes between Mexico city & Dallas.
A handful of my friends live in Queretaro and DF and they live a happy and fulfilling life. Their kids vacation
at both Disney parks. They go away to attend US summer camps and they also vacation in Cancun
or Europe for spring break.
If that's not first world living then what is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico