Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 04:12 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
WRONG info about the Tourist Card. I lived in Mexico City for three yrs on a 90 day Tourist visa and then a 180 day Visa when I explained that I was married to a Mexican National while NOT working there. He questioned my 90 day visits.

As of today have a home here in Baja that I built 16 yrs ago with NO visa of any kind...have a Govmt issued ID that I own a home here which I show if needed to the Military check point or at the Grocery store as additional ID re a Credit card purchase so they know I'm legit.

A person needs to live here before giving out questionable info.

A person can live here indefinetly as long as they renew their Visa as required and DO NOT WORK here.

I may get flamed or "Deleted" as in the past but the facts remain unquestionable.
The FMM, the current designated description for the tourist card, is valid for 180-days. There's no dispute about that. It's a fact. Residing in Mexico on a tourist card, full-time, is a violation of Mexican law. Do expats violate the law? Certainly. I describe them as "deadbeats." They don't meet the residency requirements so they sneak around and make "border runs" to obtain a new 180 day card when another expires.

Baja California, the state in which you reside, and the border zone across the Mexico/USA border expanse have immigration rules which are somewhat but not completely different from, say, Guadalajara or Mexico City. They're apples to oranges comparisons, though. FMMs are either not required or required only when a person travels beyond a certain point inland.

I've lived in Mexico and obtained both the FM-3 and the government permission to work in Mexico. And when I haven't lived in Mexico under an FM-3 I've entered and traveled first with the FMT and now the FMM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 04:56 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Time share sales huh. Really?

Old 04-27-2012, 08:12 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
I have driven across the border from the US into Mexico at three different borders when going to Mexico City. Within so many miles inside Mexico a person will hit the 1st Migra/Custom...NO way of getting around them as it would be the only road going into the interior unless a person were to know a local that could point to a obscure farm road that would lead many miles around the checkpoint. A friend from Sonora taking a 2 wheel item did that exact thing....so I know it is possible.

As I stated before...14,000 Americans that are in the area designated as Rosarito cannot all have a FM2/3 etc as they work in San Diego or are retired here...big difference as we always are crossing back in to the US 2-3 times or more every month. I know of only one person that works here part time Legally...rest of my friends are retired or financially secure.

Check out the Calif plated cars between 4-9 AM of people going to work. They are not "DEADBEATS" but pay their way with US $$$$$$. I take the term as a insult as the people are not looking for any handouts or freebees while visiting Mexico.

TWO 180 Visas are available in one 360 day calendar year. Cross back in to the US for a 7-10 day visit and re apply for another 180 days. I've done it.

My info must be correct as I get many positive feedbacks over my posts on mexico.

My mexican wife was a Senior executive in a Govmt owned company that covers all of Mexico.

Buenas Suerte

Old 04-27-2012, 08:57 PM

"TWO 180 Visas are available in one 360 day calendar year."

To the best of my knowledge ... the above statement is not accurate. Though it might be seen as nit-picking, It needs to be said that a year includes 365 days. Not 360. Thanks for your many other on-point and informative contributions.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:33 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
My wife and I along with another couple who are our close friends spent a week in Mazatlan last week. We absolutely fell in love with the place even with experiencing a tropical storm. We met a few Americans who had travelled there several years back, fell in love with the place and moved down there.
Get a nice sign that says please don't kill or kidnap the gringos narcos.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:37 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
living in a foreign country is great until something happens then u realize u r not a citizen and that they do things different there than in the US.
i like previous posters strongly suggest visiting 1st. do u speak spanish? being fluent will have a huge affect on your insight into mexican culture.
i would work on that first as u do u will ingest the mexican history and laws & social norms with it.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:59 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
Yes, there are 365 days in the yr but my point was for some who turn around in 2-3 days seeking a 2nd 180 day Visa while I was told by a Migra agent to take a few days break thus the 7-10 day visit with my parents/children/friends before getting the 2nd Visa by going over the 365 day calender period.

They did notice my Passport stamps and the dates issued...there were many.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:03 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Yes, Melaque has been attracting many folks from Canada and the USA. Most seasonally, but some full-time. By the way, if someone is "living" in Mexico on a "tourist card" - FMM - they're in the country illegally and subject to civil penalty and in the worst case deportation.
Not exactly. Tourist visas last 180 days, or about 6 months. If you're going to spend that long in a country, you'll have to find a place to stay wherever you are, so in a very real sense, you'll be living there. And it can be renewed indefinitely so long as you leave the country and come back. I myself am on that visa while I work on getting an FM2. After talking to an immigration lawyer here, it doesn't seem to be all that unusual for people to do, and it's not illegal so long as you leave at least once every 6 months. You couldn't own or rent property, but that's tough even with a living visa.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Not exactly. Tourist visas last 180 days, or about 6 months. If you're going to spend that long in a country, you'll have to find a place to stay wherever you are, so in a very real sense, you'll be living there. And it can be renewed indefinitely so long as you leave the country and come back. I myself am on that visa while I work on getting an FM2. After talking to an immigration lawyer here, it doesn't seem to be all that unusual for people to do, and it's not illegal so long as you leave at least once every 6 months. You couldn't own or rent property, but that's tough even with a living visa.
The FMM is solely for tourism purposes and for a term not to exceed 180 days, and not renewable indefinately. Play with words all you want, but even poorly educated people understand the use of the word "living." However, some people do enter Mexico on an FMM and then file the paperwork for a different visa category and the FMM is allowed for the longer period during the applicaton process ... because a FM2 or FM3 is for people who plan to live in Mexico part or full time. You're not a tourist.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Yes, there are 365 days in the yr but my point was for some who turn around in 2-3 days seeking a 2nd 180 day Visa while I was told by a Migra agent to take a few days break thus the 7-10 day visit with my parents/children/friends before getting the 2nd Visa by going over the 365 day calender period.

They did notice my Passport stamps and the dates issued...there were many.
If it was legal under the rules to stay longer than the 180 days there would be no reason to leave the country, stay in the USA for a period before returning, then reenter Mexico. There's a reason for sneaking around like that. People who do are illegal aliens. Gringo wetbacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico