Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 12:24 PM

758 posts, read 2,233,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
I'm going to go off topic again - but that Google Street View blows me away. I've never really been to Juarez, but they went EVERYWHERE in Mexico. Simply stunning, and a something that will prove to be a huge time waster for me.
Yup, spent all morning thursday and friday on it. Most unproductive days everywhere. I hope it gives Americans a window to how beautiful Mexico is. The countryside in Chihuahua is absolutely stunning... as is elsewhere in Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 01:38 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,413,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
Yup, spent all morning thursday and friday on it. Most unproductive days everywhere. I hope it gives Americans a window to how beautiful Mexico is. The countryside in Chihuahua is absolutely stunning... as is elsewhere in Mexico.
Oh yes, Mexico is amazing, Morelia will be always one of my favorite cities in the world, and Chihuahua rocks, I just don't like that the more modern parts of the city look to texan for my taste hehehehe but the historical center absolutely rocks, I'm amazed of the diversity of colonial architecture this country has, several different styles all of them beautiful.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:54 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,095,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
Some of the neighborhoods that google maps covered in Juarez I wouldn't even WALK through. Even back in the day when Juarez was relatively safe, I would never go through Anapra, or Zaragoza,... or a couple of the infonavit neighborhoods. It's truly amazing, and this is really a great gift to the people of Juarez.
Three words - high speed photography.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,441 times
"To whatever extent our nightmarish death rate in Juarez is truly related to the drug trade, there are only two reasonable solutions that come to mind. One would be for the American consumers to boycott the product. But, since that isn't going to happen, an option would be to legalize the drug trade, and let the US and Mexican government officials work out how they want to tax and regulate the business."

It's going to be interesting to see if California passes full marijuana legalization. I'm certainly not optimistic about Mexico's problems fading away of mj gets legalized though. If the Mexicans' major drug for illegal export(marijuana) is no longer illegal:
1. US marijuana consumers won't be needing Mexican mj any longer; the US will simply grow all mj for itself in the USA. There will be no need to "tax and regulate" the mj business in Mexico, because there won't be a mj business in Mexico any longer, except for sales to Mexicans.
2. Legalization may lead narcotraffickers to try making money by doing more kidnappings and extortion than they already do now, within Mexico.
3. Looking at it this way, drug trafficking may have always been serving as a 'safety valve' for poverty and violence in Mexico, a source of income that Mexicans could resort to, when there was nothing else available.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:53 PM

93 posts, read 284,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPabloMagno1 View Post
...There will be, of course, problems with legalized drugs just as there are problems with legalized gambling and prostitution. However, the death rate in Mexico - especially in Ciudad Juarez - clearly indicates an urgency that does not allow for further quibbling over the morality of allowing people access to drugs that they are already buying and selling. Legalizing the substances and the business will lower the profits for the dealers, but Parke-Davis continued to do a thriving business after finally taking their heroine cough syrup off the market. There will still be adequate profits for the entrepreneurs, and the business can be pursued without the horrifying conditions now suffered by the citizens of Mexico.
Although I do see some of your points, I have to point out that Mexico does indeed have a lower death rate than the rest of Latin America despite the Drug War, as you can see from the following link:
http://www.streetgangs.com/news/020710_mexico_lessdeadly

Also, neither Mexico's or the US economy are weak. True the U.S. economy is declining, Mexico's economy is growing at a faster rate than the rest of North America

Also, Mexicans don't live in "Horrifying conditions". Horrifying conditions is what the definition of living is in Haiti after the earthquake, so I have to say you used poor word choice throughout the post. Other than that, I say your assessments are true.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:10 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,859,295 times
There are many things that have been said here that I agree with. Also many I disagree with.

I agree with political corruption. I think it exists on both sides of the border. The wealth disparity exists in both countries. Adding to this problem is that when the poor and uneducated from Mexico come to the US it hurts the poor and uneducated in the US.

When Mexicans take jobs for less money it allows the upper class to make more money and lowers the pay scale for the poor in the US. The benefits that should be reserved for US citizens are either diluted by the number of illegals or US citizens are having to pay more to distribute those benefits. Many illegals are getting the benefit of college educations that the children of US citizens can not afford. Not everyone in the US is rich. We have our own poor that we need to take care of before "taking on" the less fortunate of other countries.

I absolutely can not understand the logic of legalizing drugs as an answer to resolving the drug trafficing problem. To me, thats like making bank robbery legal to solve poverty. I feel the same with the gun issue. You can't take guns away from everyone, leaving only those that would do harm with the means of defending themselves.

Both, or all of these problems would be solved by closing the border. No one comes through a border crossing with drugs, guns, or without citizenship. If the border was closed, US drug addicts would lose their dealers. US gun runners would lose their clients. Mexican cartels would lose their clients. And Mexico would have to address the problems in their own country. As would the US.

The rich in the US don't want to lose the cheap labor. The rich in Mexico don't want to lose the money. Both countries are corrupt. And the politicians from BOTH countries are caring less and less about their citizens. For that reason we ALL (Mexican and US) need to hold our politicians accountable.

People in the US are fed up with having to pay for those here illegally. People in Mexico are fed up with not having a higher standard of living. People from both sides of the border should push for a CLOSED border and force our politicians to fix the problems of our own nations.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:21 AM

972 posts, read 3,916,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post

People in the US are fed up with having to pay for those here illegally. People in Mexico are fed up with not having a higher standard of living. People from both sides of the border should push for a CLOSED border and force our politicians to fix the problems of our own nations.
That's ridiculous, close the border in what way? And all the commerce and tourism? You really thing the drugs pass by the bridges? Come on...

Old 08-04-2010, 08:10 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,505,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
That's ridiculous, close the border in what way? And all the commerce and tourism? You really thing the drugs pass by the bridges? Come on...
I don't think people mean close it to all legitmate commerce and tourism, but it's impossible to deny that the border is the problem. The high death tolls are in the border regions, but most of Mexico is very safe.

Closing the border would be the olnly way to stop the violent criminals who currently exploit and control it. As long as they can easily get their drugs, weapons, and whatever they like over the border and can profit from trafficking of all kinds, they will profit and because of their extreme greed, they will fight over it.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:57 PM

93 posts, read 284,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't think people mean close it to all legitmate commerce and tourism, but it's impossible to deny that the border is the problem. The high death tolls are in the border regions, but most of Mexico is very safe.

Closing the border would be the olnly way to stop the violent criminals who currently exploit and control it. As long as they can easily get their drugs, weapons, and whatever they like over the border and can profit from trafficking of all kinds, they will profit and because of their extreme greed, they will fight over it.
The drugs don't cross through the border through the bridges. They usually use small home made submarines, they go by plane, and they also like to do it underground (Literally). Drug Smugglers rarely use the bridges to cross. And closing off the border would be next to impossible thanks in large part to NAFTA.

Cocaine-Packed Homemade Submarine Seized in Mexican Waters - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News - FOXNews.com

Old 08-09-2010, 01:15 AM

275 posts, read 975,848 times
I think that the best way for to cross the border for smugglers are the tunnels made in the border, some of them made with a great job.

It is all a science the narco's organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico