U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2009, 06:34 PM

915 posts, read 1,834,688 times

Advertisements

I will be traveling from U.S. by air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 07:52 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,776,099 times
No, but you'll need one to get back into the U.S.

Seriously, your airline will require your passport and won't let you on the plane unless you have one.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:54 AM

5,758 posts, read 9,341,413 times
Yes.

You also need to make sure the name on your passport is the name you use on your airline reservation. My full name is Randall and but I go by Randy. My wife made my reservation under the later and it almost cost me my vacation in Mexico. Luckily, a manager at the airline straightened it out. I guess they are really cracking down on that.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:51 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,356,019 times
Yes, you do need it on your way there and on your way back.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:19 AM

10 posts, read 78,550 times
Yes you do need the passport. I usually fly out of Tijuana to Guadalajara. If you fly out of Mexico I know you also need to get a temporary permit to go further than 80 kilometers from the border. Now sure if that is required in the US. Have fun!

Old 01-25-2010, 12:17 AM

125 posts, read 209,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrssalcedo View Post
Yes you do need the passport. I usually fly out of Tijuana to Guadalajara. If you fly out of Mexico I know you also need to get a temporary permit to go further than 80 kilometers from the border. Now sure if that is required in the US. Have fun!
In the present day, you will need a valid US passport any time that you leave the US and its territories by land, sea or air. Should a destination outside of the US and its territories not require a passport for entry, you will need a valid US passport to return to the US and its territories. Traveling outside of the US and its territories without a valid US passport is not a good idea. You will often need your passport for identification and validation purposes.

Re your stay in Mexico, you may stay in the "Zona Fronteriza" (Border Zone) for up to 72 hours without an entry visa. The Border Zone extends out 12 miles (20km) from your port of entry into Mexico, although there are some locations where the Border Zone extends out up to 70 miles (113km), check with customs when you arrive at your port of entry into Mexico. You should be familiar with the customs regulations at your port of entry as they vary from location to location. If you plan on staying in Mexico for more than 72 hours or travel outside the Border Zone, you will need an FMT (Tourist Visa) which is a one-time document valid for up to 180 continuous days stay in Mexico, it is surrendered upon return to the US. An FMT is available from your airline, travel agent or at your port of entry into Mexico. I suggest that you have your FMT in advance of arriving at your port of entry, that will simplify your travel plans. I can assure you that Mexican custom officers have a low level of tolerance for "Problemas de viajes de Gringos"! Here are two page links to info concerning Mexican visas.

Mexico Mexican Visas Immigration FMT FM2 FM3 Visa

Mexico Tourist Cards - What is a Mexico Tourist Card and How to Get a Mexico Tourist Card

Last edited by luzernecntygent; 01-25-2010 at 12:33 AM.. Reason: Edit text and add page link.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:34 AM

4,902 posts, read 8,452,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrssalcedo View Post
If you fly from an airport in Mexico they won't let you on the plane without getting this first, can't miss it because the agent will check to make sure you have it. If you fly to Mexico this permit is included in your ticket price and it is the document you are given by the immigration agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or