Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2010, 01:16 PM

11 posts, read 22,085 times

Advertisements

We are Canadians considering moving to Progreso or somewhere else close by.

We have never been there but have been to Cancun - all inclusives. We are well aware that daily life is not the same as being on vacation.

The reasons we would move for are basically sun and a new experience. Cheaper living helps too. I run an internet based business so I can do it from anywhere there is reliable internet.

Anyway..here are my questions:

1. Is it safe to bring my SUV when we come? I know I will have to get a permit and insurance but I am worried that my Canadian plates will make me a 'target'.

2. Our plan is to take a vacation rental for 2-3 months so we can get to know the area before either renting longer term or buying. Do you see any problem with this idea?

3. We are not interested in living a lavish lifestyle but are not overly frugal either. We would like to be able to have a reasonably modern 2-3 bedroom house or condo as close to the beach as possible. We would like to dine out a couple of times per month. We do not buy super expensive groceries but would like to buy steak and Dos Equis when we want to. We would like to put our 7 year old into a private school. We would like medical insurance. Here finally is the question - Is $3000 per month reasonable to accomplish all of this or am I dreaming?

4. Is there anything that you would warn me about?

I have more but don't want to be a burden.

Thank you very much - it is nice to hear from someone who has done what we want to do.

Regards,

Russ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 03:42 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
I am a former Ontario, Canuck/LA Calif and now retired in Baja Mex south of Rosarito. What you are asking is possible up to a certain degree.

I can give some info but not about Progresso/Meridia etc.

Lets go down the list.

1. Your Canadian plates will stand out like a sore thumb as would US plates. People would know you have MONEY to be there and adverse problems may arise.

2. You would need a 90 day or 180 day Visa (only twice in a 360 day callendar yr).
You can Rent (no problem at all)...to buy next to the coastal water will need going thru a lot of paperwork, money deposited into a Mexican Bank plus extensive paper work. To do all this a FM2 and FM3 residency/work paperwork needs to be completed first.

3. Large grocery stores are all over Mexico and no different then those in Canada.
As far as school...not sure...may depend on the number of English students needs in the area.
Medical Ins is available from what I heard from friends...as for me I use the Military Veterans hospital in San Diego thus why I'm close to the border.

4. Too much to tell about Mexico after 16 yrs.

To get a phone a person needs proof of rental or purchase and the address for a land phone and connection to the Internet using Mexican Telnor.

Has been a long time since living in Canada...most of the time in Calif...now here in Mexico where the laws are way different then what you may expect.

You may DM me if you wish. I did give some satisfactory info to two different couples from the west coast that ended buying property/house in Baja.

Remember that any info given by Americans or Canucks will be of a personal nature/experience and may no be the average normal conditions depending on the area of choice.

Steve

Old 01-16-2010, 08:09 PM

69 posts, read 333,478 times
what state is this Progreso that you are talking about?

Old 01-16-2010, 11:29 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LessTravelled View Post
We do not buy super expensive groceries but would like to buy steak and Dos Equis when we want to.
Regards,

Russ
When you get down there you may find that "Superior" may become your beverage of choice. Mexico has better beers than Dos Equis.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:39 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,517,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I am a former Ontario, Canuck/LA Calif and now retired in Baja Mex south of Rosarito. What you are asking is possible up to a certain degree.

I can give some info but not about Progresso/Meridia etc.

Lets go down the list.

1. Your Canadian plates will stand out like a sore thumb as would US plates. People would know you have MONEY to be there and adverse problems may arise.

2. You would need a 90 day or 180 day Visa (only twice in a 360 day callendar yr).
You can Rent (no problem at all)...to buy next to the coastal water will need going thru a lot of paperwork, money deposited into a Mexican Bank plus extensive paper work. To do all this a FM2 and FM3 residency/work paperwork needs to be completed first.

3. Large grocery stores are all over Mexico and no different then those in Canada.
As far as school...not sure...may depend on the number of English students needs in the area.
Medical Ins is available from what I heard from friends...as for me I use the Military Veterans hospital in San Diego thus why I'm close to the border.

4. Too much to tell about Mexico after 16 yrs.

To get a phone a person needs proof of rental or purchase and the address for a land phone and connection to the Internet using Mexican Telnor.

Has been a long time since living in Canada...most of the time in Calif...now here in Mexico where the laws are way different then what you may expect.

You may DM me if you wish. I did give some satisfactory info to two different couples from the west coast that ended buying property/house in Baja.

Remember that any info given by Americans or Canucks will be of a personal nature/experience and may no be the average normal conditions depending on the area of choice.

Steve
Excellent post. I lived in various places in Mexico for 6 years, and you are right on the head with your comments.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:29 AM

11 posts, read 22,085 times
Thanks for all of the replies..they are helpful.

Steve...what did you mean by this?

"now here in Mexico where the laws are way different then what you may expect."

Thanks,

Russ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico