U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 10:17 PM

47,585 posts, read 35,942,331 times

Advertisements

You'd think there are more than plenty people to rescue in Haiti right now that the rescuers wouldn't have to fight over rescuees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Notice that they do not provide an interview with the Americans being accussed to have a balanced story.

If true the there is nothing more to discuss, than poor behavior on the part of the rescuers from Dade County.
It's interesting because you get the idea from the guy talking in this video that the verbal exchange between himself and the Americans was in Spanish.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:47 PM

4,365 posts, read 7,262,310 times
Default Other side?

Does anyhone have a link to a source for the story of the other side? I'm not saying it did not happen, but I would like to hear the other account to decide for myself what happened.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:45 AM

3,073 posts, read 4,480,871 times
I think the story is fake. americans wouldnt do something like that..

Old 01-20-2010, 05:42 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,287,889 times
There is no truer hero than the volunteer hero. They do what they do because they can, not because they are being paid to do so. I admire the work the Topos do and would proudly work alongside them any day.

I am a volunteer fireman and used to be a volunteer EMT also. I resigned being an EMT because I was sick of the politics of being a volunteer. We're never judged as equals it seems. The red tape and "organization" of the ICS etc are cumbersom and burdonsom to work under. It is eroding the effieciency of the volunteer fire department too; I hate to see it.

What happened to this man seems to be the type of derision I have experienced for being "just" a volunteer. While there may have been some racism involved, chances are good that a team from Dade county would have had hispanics on it and chances are good the team spoke spanish. I'm not so sure this is a case of discrimination due to race, but maybe more so a case of discrimination due to the arrogance of the paid (therefore professional) vs the unpaid.

No matter the reason, this type of behavior has no place on a rescue scene. I've seen it time and again though, because everyone wants to be the hero. Egos are huge. Territorialism (is that a word?) runs rampant. Work is hard, work is long, tempers are short. It is sad this type of thing happened, it is sad it made the news. It really doesn't make anyone look good.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:31 AM

1,434 posts, read 1,830,420 times
Youtube video Mexican and South African rescue team

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB-r_...eature=related

Old 01-21-2010, 02:50 AM

2,117 posts, read 3,141,210 times
I would not believe the story at face value. The odds of embellishing seem high.

S.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
I think the story is fake. americans wouldnt do something like that..
Individual ones certainly could. And with all the cameras over there, some types are going to want to be seen holding a rescued victim. There could be some over-eager individuals who who might think they know better, or are more sophisticated and need to take over. I can believe it could happen.

Some celebrities even have charity concerts and pay themselves very well from the proceeds. This kind of disaster brings out the best and worst of people, and many celebrities make sure that the cameras are pointed on them the entire time they are doing something, instead of quietly working behind the scenes.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,241 times
Huh? Then, if the exchange was in English, he´d have had to give the interview to a Spanish newscaster in English?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico