Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 10:21 PM

3 posts, read 25,732 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone
My wife and I have recently relocated to Mexico with my employer. We are currently on FMT Visa's until our FM3 arrives in 2-3 weeks. But we really need to buy a car immediately.

Does anyone know if we are able to buy and register a car in Mexico on a FMT?

We are in Tijuana so can go across the border and buy one in San Diego but I am not sure if I am able to buy one in the US as a foreigner and then import it into Mexico either.

Thanks a lot for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 09:57 AM

140 posts, read 265,691 times
You need an FM3 to register .... but you could just wait the few weeks. You won't have insurance while you wait

>>>> but I am not sure if I am able to buy one in the US as a foreigner

I assume you are not a US citizen. If you will be living in Baja you don't need a temporary import sticker .... but I would check with Calif DMV. Hard to get registration without a US address

sparks
Sparks Mexico Web

Old 02-11-2010, 02:56 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,834,468 times
Some "BUM" info here on purchasing a vehicle in Mexico.

Unless a person has gone thru the procedure they do not know what they are talking about...as in the case here.

I purchased (as an American) two trucks in Mexico City and showed my Passport and a friends address in the city. My intentions were to import them to my business in Calif. After talking to DOT in Washington found out all the needs would be a hinderance re the smog and safety glass etc...so...no go.

Anyone can purchase a vehicle and register with a FMT or FM3 and a local address. The vehicle cannot be driven into the US (trust me...your subject to confiscation as I was told at the border by a BP person). He allowd me to turn around a re enter Mexico. A person from another country trying to enter the US with a Mexico vehicle without proper paper work is asking for a big headache.

Anyone can purchase a vehicle in the US (Calif no problem) and have a legal registration even if they were on vacation and intended to sell before returning home.

I knew of two young German boys buying a vehicle for a 30 day visit across the Us which they felt was cheaper then renting a car. They then sold the car before flying home. I knew that for a fact as I had rebuilt the engine for them after purchase (via American grandfather) and he said things were real fine.

A person can buy and use a Mexican licensed vehicle only in Mexico and NOT across into the US. I'm here in Baja with an American who has a FM3 and owns a Mexican plate car also an American friend who registered his Calif car to Mexican plates but still drives it into Calif with the proof of his FM3 residency. Too much headache in my personal opinion...after 16 yrs here I still have my US Calif plates for less problems.

Steve

Old 02-11-2010, 05:17 PM

3 posts, read 25,732 times
Thanks for the great information Steve.

Just to make sure I have understood this correctly; you are suggesting I just buy a US car and don't bother about importing it and getting Mexican plates, I just drive it with the US plates on it?

It doesn't matter if we can't leave Baja, I have a work car with National plates on it that I can drive anywhere in Mexico or US.

So the only thing I am not 100% sure on is if as a New Zealander I am allowed to bring a US plated car into Mexico.....?

Old 02-11-2010, 05:48 PM

I thought from your original post you might be from Canada or the UK. Great...we are cousins as I'm originally from Ont Canada (a Canuck).

As far as buying a Calif car (no problem) I would check with the Calif DMV (Dept of Motor Vehicles) re taking it across into Mexico and/or returning back.

You would be able to drive it with the registration in your name across into Mexico...problem would be re entering the US with a New Zealand Passport in hand as the owner. Check with DMV as to legality.

I sold a Ariz plate car here to a mexican and he drives it around with the same plates and has not registered it to mexican plates. The govmt charges $ 500.00 (US) to register a vehicle into Mexican plates.

Generally a Mexican drives a US plated car without any problems as long as they have the title from the American seller who lives here. Many of the US state registrations had long expired and they could care less since the car will never cross back again.

Buying a Calif car would be the best thing considering the overall condition compared to the beat up cars here in Baja unless you were to buy something fairly NEW.

Are you the same person that was going to the Fox studios in a post a while back?

You can DM me if you wish.

Steve

Old 03-17-2010, 11:22 PM

1 posts, read 11,468 times
Ok I would like to know what it entails to buy a car registered in Mexico already. We are Canadians looking at coming back every year for 5 to 6 months of the year. We want to buy a used car that we found in great shape. We have our FMT and would like to find out what it take to have the car here and be able to legally plate it and drive it here.
Thanks Gina

Old 03-22-2010, 06:54 PM

6 posts, read 27,889 times
This is a very interesting topic that I'd like to share my two cents worth. I also had questions regarding cars and importing and may be by sharing my experience could help someone else.
I am a Canadian ( yipeee Ontarians!) who found work in Mexico. I went to Texas and purchased a car! Texas doesn't care if I'm Canadian, an Eskimo, or if I have three eyes and a horse's tail when purchasing a car! But what they do require is an American address to send the registration/ownership to as they will not send it to Canada or Mexico. Fine, you wanted an American address and I gave one ( my buddy's house in Texas).
Now in Mexico you will need a Permit that you get near the border. They will want to see the registration paper ( ownership not needed as the registration has your name and "address from the states" on it. You will have to pay a fee. BUT IF YOU HAVE AN FM3 this is a ONE TIME only fee. For years I have returned when the sticker date was up and repaid. WRONG. Your car's temporary vehicle permit is good until the date on your FM3 work visa. So if you RENEW your FM3 you DO NOT have to renew the temporary vehicle sticker. This is stated as law in the Aduana's handbook and I have a copy of that in my car which you should have too.
So somehow it feels wrong. A Canadian, working in Mexico, purchasing a car in the States. But there is no law stating its illegal.
So no need to get Mexican plates on an American car. But here is my question..........

Do American registration stickers need to be kept updated? I would say no since the car is not being driven in the States. But eventually when returning the car to the States for those weekend shopping trips - getting pulled over with outdated stickers could be a problem. In order to get the registration stickers one would have to purchase American insurance first. I want to be a law abiding citizen but that seems like too much time and money invested just for updated stickers. I have tried giving my mexican insurance for American cars but that is not acceptable to them.

Hamish.O As long as you are a foreigner with a passport, you can bring in that American Car to Mexico. I've done it for years. I agree with Steve B. Re entering the States with a New Zealand passport will raise suspicion. When they see my Canadian passport and the American plates they always ask if I am the owner of the car. I say, Yes sir, this is my vehicle that I purchased in the U.S. and they let me go every time and never once asked to see the ownership papers. (which they can since it will have my name on it which matches my Canadian drivers license and thats that.
This is how it has gone down at the Texas / Laredo crossing but I'd imagine its the same where you are at.
Hope this was helpful to someone out there!

Old 03-22-2010, 09:23 PM

Ginadd: If I understand your needs...buy a Mexican car to use while in Mexico only...NO PROBLEM...just show the address where you will be staying for the registration and title that will be given you at the Mexican DMV (Dept de Transito) I did this with two trucks in Mexico City. If stopped by the police you only need to show ownership if questioned. Your FMT shows your time is valid as a tourist. Park the car until you return each trip. NO...you cannot take it across the border into the US...I know this for a fact as I was stopped at the border in San Ysidro/TJ crossing and threatened with confiscation.

Say hello to my relatives in Hamilton/Port Colborne.

Steve

Old 04-13-2010, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 11,281 times
My question, with out beating a dead horse, is I would like to bring a car from the states, that I own, to my 2nd home in Mexico. I know that I get a sticker at the boarder for the 180 days of my tourist visa. If I want to leave my car at my 2nd home can I get the sticker renewed? Also what happens when my us registration expires, I cant renew it in my state because they require emissions inspection before I can renew my registration. So when I go to renew my Mexican sticker my us registration will be expired is that a problem.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:20 PM

I can help re the last question. NOT sure what state your in but Calif only needs a signed statement that the vehicle will remain in Mexico for 2nd home and NOT registered there. Had a friend in Cabo who drove all the way back for smog and then found out it was not necessary being so far down south. 2000 mile RT for nothing.

Hope this helps you. Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico