U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 04:07 PM

5,051 posts, read 9,320,947 times
My post was in reference to Mexico City as shown. Am not sure if there was another incident with the Corrupt Police (mordida) that is common with American plates knowing that the people have money.

I had been pulled over so many times and new exactly where the US embassy was (Zona Rosa) as I'd been there one time.

Does make a difference where a person is and time of day etc...how a person is driving the whole time.

I have driven all over Mexico during my 16 yrs here and know the ropes...what to say and how to say it.

Of course I had a Ace card (connection) that opened doors when I really needed it...only as an extreme. I never pulled it much except for one time a motorcycle cop tried to shake me down a little and I asked for the American Consulate...he said okay and had me follow him in a direction that was away from the Embassy. A few miles away at a dark off ramp I clued him in my being familiar with the local police station, city Hall, certain mkts I shopped at and the correct location of the Embassy we drove away from...also told him my ace card connection at the end...his response was "pase" you can go. He got on his bike and rode off knowing he had bumped into one smart Gringo.

A person can always ask for the nearest American Embassy if they have not done anything wrong. No guarantee it will work 100%...then again you never know. I found out that they did not want to do the paperwork and hassles and would rather settle for a few dollars and be on their merry way.

Sorry if there was any misunderstanding on my part.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 10:27 PM

409 posts, read 1,508,463 times
Have fun in Ensenada. You will like it there.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:34 PM

7,089 posts, read 7,815,217 times
Dang, the only trouble I have ever had is, from time to time, I spend more money than I had anticipated, but....the dollar goes farther so I feel obligated to splurge.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:16 PM

519 posts, read 436,057 times
don't know how bad "they" say it is. My wife and I've been there several times, and will go back many more. It is a delightful country.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:15 AM

740 posts, read 994,102 times
If you're a REAL Italian you shouldn't have any trouble. Still, be careful.
ps: Leave your wife at home and enjoy yourself.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:29 PM

10,902 posts, read 8,654,447 times
With the excellent public transit and walkable cities in Mexico, enjoy a stressfree vacation, park the car at the border, bus it there, there's a bus station with express buses to Ensenada directly across the border. No excuse to have a car down there.

And when it comes right down to it, there's little excuse to travel by car in the U.S. either, now that light rail is being added to our American cities, city by city. Even In L.A. now, enough inner city rail options now where you don't need a car to enjoy it.

Let the Highway patrol officers of both Mexico and the U.S. find some other way of persecuting people.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:17 AM

47,586 posts, read 32,343,514 times
Not all the police are corrupt. I've dealt with them and some are trying but also keep in mind that if you go where you don't really know the area, you have to realize that nothing really stops someone from dressing up like a policeman and hitting you up for money.

It takes two to play the mordida system. Someone on the corrupt side willing to take the money but also someone on the other corrupt side willing to get out of a ticket or the hassles of paying a ticket and offering bribe money. People who bribe cops can't just complain about the cop.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:39 AM

206 posts, read 220,500 times
Very interesting. I live in L.A. and have always wanted to go down for a visit. Never got the courage, especially always hearing about the police getting shot in Tijuana and people being kidnapped and held for ransom. How safe is it if I go with a tour bus and just do Tijuana and Ensenada? From the news it seems really scary and I really don't know any areas, so that makes it even more scary-but is it really as bad as it is reported?

Old 02-21-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smh1 View Post
Very interesting. I live in L.A. and have always wanted to go down for a visit. Never got the courage, especially always hearing about the police getting shot in Tijuana and people being kidnapped and held for ransom. How safe is it if I go with a tour bus and just do Tijuana and Ensenada? From the news it seems really scary and I really don't know any areas, so that makes it even more scary-but is it really as bad as it is reported?
I don't know about Tijuana but as bad as Ciudad Juarez is, not one American tourist has been harmed. It's dangerous for drug traffickers, it's dangerous for gang members, it's dangerous for police and certain wealthy Mexicans who may be kidnapped for ransom but Americans are not being targetted. There is the usual street crime like auto theft and purse snatchings and you shouldn't use ATM machines in lonely areas and you shouldn't be in lonely areas.

Sticking with a tourist group and staying in tourist areas should be safe enough. No tour group has been made a target of anything anywhere in Mexico.

As a tourist who doesn't know an area well, you don't want to go off wandering about on your own. That has always been the case to some extent and is also the case anywhere.

A war between drug cartels involves those who have dealings with or are members of drug cartels.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:27 AM

Most of Mexico is far safer than Los Angeles anyway. If you live in LA, you should know how you avoid crime there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico