Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 07:19 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,565,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
Yes, just read that on Politico.com. It will be interesting to learn in what capacity they worked for the consulate. Perhaps they were working in some anti-drug-related kind of endeavor.
No, it says this was a "drive-by shooting"!
(Guess I'm just a skeptic and read too many CIA type mysteries)

Unfortunately, this will just add more fuel to the anti-Mexico fire! But also - maybe now, there'll be a more cooperative effort between the US and Mexico to stop this menace to Juarez society and restore peace to this border town.
(My grandson and daughter-in-law are there and I worry about them all the time)
I don't think it was the drug cartels per se because it would not be in their best interest to drag the USA or our military into this. Someone wants the US involved but the cartels would not really prefer their smuggling operations disrupted or risk having any control placed over the border. If the US military were to be sent to the border because of this, that will hinder the flow of everything they're smuggling in.

Or maybe one cartel is livid enough at the other that they'll cut their own nose to spite their own face? I don't know but this is terrible I think. For one with the mayor of Juarez living in El Paso and the recent threat informing him he has just 2 weeks left to live, I don't think the USA should want to invite this stuff to come here and that's what's going to happen if we get openly involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 01:48 AM

118 posts, read 138,576 times
No, like always people exaggerate.....HARD. Don't let people scare you away from going and experiencing new places.

I drove to Tijuana, Tecate, and Ensenada. Ensenada is very pretty and Tecate has some nice town/Mexican charm. Tijuana however is the Mexican version of Las Vegas without the tourists. I was literally the only tourist on Avenida Revolucion for stretches at a time. From what I understood there was a time when it was packed with people but those days are long gone. I was hassled to look at every store, every opportunity to make money they tried on me. I could make only a couple steps before someone was trying to get me to see some rug or something. Not a place to chill but worth a check-cheap and good food. I never felt unsafe once.

One day when I get time I plan to drive to Acapulco and check out most of Mexico on the way. Maybe even make it to Central America.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:40 AM

1 posts, read 941 times
How about mexico city?

Old 04-28-2012, 06:28 AM

356 posts, read 1,063,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATHEW2002 View Post
How about mexico city?
Go!!! Mexico city is probably the safest city in mexico right now. I was there last November and was blown away by its magnificence . If I can get to it I'll be going again in July.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:34 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,476,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATHEW2002 View Post
How about mexico city?
It's a city with good and lots of bad. Facinating place. Lots of street crime and low level or no terrorist activity we're seeing elsewhere in the country. The greatest risk is to people unfamiliar with the city who wander into the wrong neighborhoods and are victimized. But with some homework you can identify the better areas to visit/stay and have a great visit.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:00 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,349,683 times
The last I was in DF was ages ago, , but it is a fantastic city.

Be careful, and don't forget, the Metro (subway) stops running after midnight---at least it was when I was there. Someone else here can update me! I just remember the only time I was 'afraid" in Mexico City was when we realized we were stranded, no metro!

Old 04-28-2012, 09:43 PM

305 posts, read 748,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
It's a city with good and lots of bad. Facinating place. Lots of street crime and low level or no terrorist activity we're seeing elsewhere in the country. The greatest risk is to people unfamiliar with the city who wander into the wrong neighborhoods and are victimized. But with some homework you can identify the better areas to visit/stay and have a great visit.
it's really not that bad (street crime). i've lived in some of the worst areas of the city (and best) and am as gringo as they come. much safer than new orleans for example (where i'm from).

Old 04-28-2012, 11:03 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,476,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3dw View Post
it's really not that bad (street crime). i've lived in some of the worst areas of the city (and best) and am as gringo as they come. much safer than new orleans for example (where i'm from).
So, because you've not experienced problems ... others shouldn't be concerned, and they should ignore the reports from the local government and victims? Really? Okay. Take it to the bank? I don't think so.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:37 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,565,345 times
Quote:
Yes -- and this is good advice for any big city one might want to visit.

It's foolish to insist there is no crime and no one needs to be cautious, you really should not just wander about naively into just every neighborhood, any time of the day or night.

Even in the "terrorist activity" cities, it's almost only those with cartel associations that need to worry about the cartel. No innocent tourists for example have been murdered in Juarez. It would be street crime that would be more a factor, the cartels tend to aim at particular targets.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:59 AM

305 posts, read 748,894 times
Quote:
So, because you've not experienced problems ... others shouldn't be concerned, and they should ignore the reports from the local government and victims? Really? Okay. Take it to the bank? I don't think so.
No, but it's not any worse than any big city in the U.S. Use some common sense here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico