Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 12:22 PM

144 posts, read 493,987 times

Advertisements

It looks like a beautiful city and has all the amenities and more of La Paz.
Yes, I know, mainland and the frontier are two different animals and not just weather-wise.
It is nice to have choices.
I am also hearing the drug violence is starting to freak out the locals and during Carnival it really had an impact.
I know how to stear clear of the violence but when it is becoming random enough that the locals are freaked that impacts the local flavor a lot.
I would love to hear from people about their daily lives there.
Saludos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 12:45 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,319 times
My wife and I along with some friends visited there last year and fell in love with the city. So much so that we have considered moving there and are currently doing research on making such a move.

So far, I have not found anyone on this board that lives there or has lived there. If there is, I would love to hear from them.

I've also heard there was a recent spike in violence in Mazatlan.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:31 PM

6,384 posts, read 11,875,954 times
It freaks out the locals because many of them live in areas that do get affected by the violence. Even if they aren't victims, they might be living in areas where they can't get back home later in the evening due to blockades or just fear of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Tourists aren't really feeling it, but I know someone who lives in MZT who told me crime is most definitely up, but at least for now almost all of it happens at night. The Sinaloa cartel is being attacked and trying to protect the southern edges of its turn.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:43 AM

83 posts, read 425,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
It looks like a beautiful city and has all the amenities and more of La Paz.
Yes, I know, mainland and the frontier are two different animals and not just weather-wise.
It is nice to have choices.
I am also hearing the drug violence is starting to freak out the locals and during Carnival it really had an impact.
I know how to stear clear of the violence but when it is becoming random enough that the locals are freaked that impacts the local flavor a lot.
I would love to hear from people about their daily lives there.
Saludos
My wife is from Mazatlan and she is down their right now actually. We have a house their and we are going to buy more property. I think the concern is there but to say they're freaking out might be a stretch. We have 2 kids and my wife still insists on moving back their, myself on the other hand feel we need to wait a while to see if this thing is going to calm down or not. In the carnaval my wife told me there was 1 person stabbed to death. If you ask me having only 1 homicide during that crazy festival is a miracle. It is like a sea of heads everywhere.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:38 AM

Default Thanks Pepe

The other thing I heard was that people thought there were gunshots during a parade and that by the time everyone calmed down it really put a damper on things.
That is too bad. 1 homicide in that crowd? Definitely nothing to get uptight about, in my book.
That is good your wife is the one wanting the move. For me it is my wife that is the reticent one. She knows and is comfortable in baja but it has been two decades since she has set foot in Mazatlan and, of course, it will be an entirely different city than it was then based on maturity alone.
I am glad to see someone with kids posting on this because my twins will be 8 when I move down.
Either way I am not going to be rich but I will have an income of around $4-5kUS/month.
My research so far indicates to me that I would be able to live comfortably.
What do you think?

Old 02-26-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
The other thing I heard was that people thought there were gunshots during a parade and that by the time everyone calmed down it really put a damper on things.
That is too bad. 1 homicide in that crowd? Definitely nothing to get uptight about, in my book.
That is good your wife is the one wanting the move. For me it is my wife that is the reticent one. She knows and is comfortable in baja but it has been two decades since she has set foot in Mazatlan and, of course, it will be an entirely different city than it was then based on maturity alone.
I am glad to see someone with kids posting on this because my twins will be 8 when I move down.
Either way I am not going to be rich but I will have an income of around $4-5kUS/month.
My research so far indicates to me that I would be able to live comfortably.
What do you think?

My children at 7 and 18 months currently and we are looking at August of 2011 as a target date for our possible move right now so our kids will be 9 and 3 at that time.

I also heard someone was shot in daylight near Valentino's but it was not a random shooting. The person was known to be apart of the drug cartels.

From what I have been told, you can live comfortably on $50,000USD a year in Mazatlan for a family of four.

May I ask what you do for a living?

Old 02-26-2010, 01:52 PM

Default Of course you may!

Wow, that is good news about the $50kUS.....I like that!It might actually make more but I am trying to keep all of my projections on the lowest side of conservative. I don't want any ugly surprises that would disappoint us all.
For a living.....well, I am currently what the press here in California refers to as one of those freeloading devils, a career firefighter.
I have been paying into my pension now for 26 years and when I am 50 I am going to take what I can and boogie. I could work until I was 57 to max out my benefit but those years between 50 and 57 are very hard on our profession and I don't want any more exposures to all the cancer causing agents and blood-borne pathogens that are out there....I see too many guys getting the big C in their 50's and early 60's and it scares the hell out of me.
How do you plan on schooling your children? We are homeschooling right now and it has been very rewarding so far.
Saludos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
My children at 7 and 18 months currently and we are looking at August of 2011 as a target date for our possible move right now so our kids will be 9 and 3 at that time.

I also heard someone was shot in daylight near Valentino's but it was not a random shooting. The person was known to be apart of the drug cartels.

From what I have been told, you can live comfortably on $50,000USD a year in Mazatlan for a family of four.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Wow, that is good news about the $50kUS.....I like that!It might actually make more but I am trying to keep all of my projections on the lowest side of conservative. I don't want any ugly surprises that would disappoint us all.
For a living.....well, I am currently what the press here in California refers to as one of those freeloading devils, a career firefighter.
I have been paying into my pension now for 26 years and when I am 50 I am going to take what I can and boogie. I could work until I was 57 to max out my benefit but those years between 50 and 57 are very hard on our profession and I don't want any more exposures to all the cancer causing agents and blood-borne pathogens that are out there....I see too many guys getting the big C in their 50's and early 60's and it scares the hell out of me.
How do you plan on schooling your children? We are homeschooling right now and it has been very rewarding so far.
Saludos
We are going back to Mazatlan in June and I am planning on visiting the different types of schools and making a decisions on how we want to proceed with their schooling.

I found this blog entry on Mexico schools and found it very informative:

Aventuras de Nuestra Vida en Mazatlán: Moving to Mexico (Mazatlán) with School Kids

Old 02-26-2010, 03:19 PM

Default Awesome blogs!

Thanks for the blog hookups!

Old 02-27-2010, 09:18 AM

83 posts, read 425,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post

50k a year you would live like a King down their and that is no Joke!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico