U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 02:35 PM

1,150 posts, read 868,761 times

Advertisements

Ojala - Oh Ala, the Muslims word for God. An we say it alot!

Aceituna, (Al-Zaituna) and any word that has an a in front of it like Atun (I always knew that was a wierd name for tuna), almuerzo, Alcol, Asta, Sofa, Pantalones, Azucar, Naranja, I am sure there is more...Spain was conquered by the moors for a long time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 02:53 PM

757 posts, read 1,727,706 times
There's a ton of arabic words in Spanish. This is because Spain was occupied by the Moors and part of the Empire of Islam for 800 yrs.

Like Money= Dinar = Dinero.

Even our Cities: Guadalajara.

Most of the words that start with "al" are arabic in origin:
algodon
almidon
almuerzo
alazar
almacen
...etc.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:00 PM

5,414 posts, read 6,931,294 times
Mosque= mosca, because the Spanish thought that the muezzins calling Muslims to prayer sounded like mosquitoes.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:34 PM

1,150 posts, read 868,761 times
Did you know that the arabic stores in europe have candies like, pulpo de tamarindo, chile candies, and the other pulped candies I grew up with... just like Mexico!

Old 03-17-2010, 09:54 PM

3,162 posts, read 9,706,447 times
Spanish is one of the world's richest languages because of the diverse influences that gave it shape, unlike other latin derived romance languages, spanish also received influences from basque and arabic, among others, when Spain became a colonial power and the most powerful empire of it's era, Spanish also received influences from the languages spoken before the spaniards arrived, this helped shape the unique variants of spanish spoken in all her former colonies, but they also made it to the main language spoken in Spain, Spanish also gave words to languages as foreign as Japanese, the words pan and capa are a contribuition made to that language.

Spanish is also the common bond that unites more than 20 different countries, all this makes spanish a very special and unique language, and Mexican spanish is one of the most beautiful, I don't say it myself a lot of spaniards have told me that they love how do we mexicanos speak

regards

Old 03-18-2010, 07:35 AM

Mexican Spanish, to many, is like American accent is to English. We're 110 million out...the largest block of Spanish speakers. It's considered generic and basically the standard for movies, tvs, songs, etc.

Nevertheless, I love it. Esp. the nahuatl words.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:33 AM

8 posts, read 17,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
Mexican Spanish, to many, is like American accent is to English. We're 110 million out...the largest block of Spanish speakers. It's considered generic and basically the standard for movies, tvs, songs, etc.

Nevertheless, I love it. Esp. the nahuatl words.
Let me disagree. The fact that Mexicans are the largest group of hispanoablantes does not mean that the Mexican is the standard or generic. In fact is Spanish (Castilian) foul-mouthed, badly spoken. The Castilian GENERIC, correct and authentic is spoken in Spain. Maybe it is the standard in Mexico, Guatemala, Venezuela...

Old 03-25-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisholiness View Post
Let me disagree. The fact that Mexicans are the largest group of hispanoablantes does not mean that the Mexican is the standard or generic. In fact is Spanish (Castilian) foul-mouthed, badly spoken. The Castilian GENERIC, correct and authentic is spoken in Spain. Maybe it is the standard in Mexico, Guatemala, Venezuela...

No one country can claim CORRECT Spanish. Yes, Spanish originated in Spain, but language is not static... it is constantly evolving. Even 'Castillian' has influences from other languages, and I find ironic that your comment was placed under a thread that clearly states how Spanish is influence by Arabic. The Real Academia in Madrid recognizes that versions of Spanish spoken in Cuba, Mexico, Colombia, Argentina, etc. are legitimate versions of Spanish and not 'foul-mouthed, badly spoken'.

Saying that the only correct Spanish exists in Spain is an attempt at bastardizing the rest of the 400 million Spanish speakers in the world. That's like saying that the only correct version of English is that spoken in or around London and the only correct version of Chinese is that spoken in Beijing, effectively bastardizing a billion people.

Mod edit: personal attack

Last edited by Travelling fella; 03-25-2010 at 11:20 PM..

Old 03-25-2010, 09:10 AM

6,367 posts, read 12,016,113 times
I must say that I like the Mexico City accent the best... but I'm biased. I think my Spanish is good, but I have a LOT of trouble understanding some Spaniards, Chileans... LOL
Um, on topic:
Alfombra - the carpet I understand some "Spanglish" speakers say "carpeta" for carpet... Stop!
Alcazar - the castle.
Alcohol - the distilled liquid
Se puede encontrar la etimologia de varias palabras en el siguiente website:
Diccionario Etimológico

mod edit:english Nice, because I have been trying to learn Arabic for YEARS, and the only letter I know for SURE is "Aliph"

Last edited by Travelling fella; 03-25-2010 at 11:21 PM..

Old 03-25-2010, 08:52 PM

2,057 posts, read 6,917,296 times
How about the only major or minor sized city in the USA with a name of Arabic origin - Albuquerque?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico