Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:08 AM

125 posts, read 244,926 times

Advertisements

My grandson and I (he's 18) are planing on taking some day trips into the border area (Zona Frontera) of Mexico next year (excluding Ciudad Jaurez). I was a frequent visitor in Mexico back in the 70's and 80's when I was driving truck for United Van Lines. My grandson has never been in Mexico. I speak fluent Spanish, but my grandson speaks very little Spanish, except for some common phrases. I am well aware of the dangers of visiting in towns along the Zona Frontera, especially in light of the violence in Ciudad Juarez and other border locations. We plan on visiting along the eastern part of the New Mexico border and some of the wester part of the Texas border. We'll be staying in Las Cruces, NM. We'll visit El Paso, but will not cross into CJ. Any suggestions concerning dress, safety and conduct in Mexico will be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 10:13 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
The talk of NEXT year is a long time away from today. Things will change for sure without a doubt. A passport will be needed by both of you. Is the $100 (est) Passport fee worth the one time visit? Probably no problem crossing into Mexico as the tourists themselves are not bothered...with exception...those looking for the drugs.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
The talk of NEXT year is a long time away from today. Things will change for sure without a doubt. A passport will be needed by both of you. Is the $100 (est) Passport fee worth the one time visit? Probably no problem crossing into Mexico as the tourists themselves are not bothered...with exception...those looking for the drugs.
My grandson and I plan to be in Las Cruces, NM for two weeks during the summer of 2011. He's 18 and has never been out of the State of Pennsylvania. I would like to expose him to another culture other than his own. He'll be graduating high school next year, so this is my graduation gift to him. I plan to move to Las Cruces from Pennsylvania in 2012, so this will be a "fact finding" trip for me and a cultural experience for my grandson. I'm "encouraging" him to learn some conversational Spanish before next summer so that he can also interact with the local Mexican citizenry. We'll be making multiple day trips into Mexico at various points along the Zona Frontera, so this is just not a "one time" visit into Mexico. We'll both be applying for passports early next year to be sure to have them in time for our trip which will be via Amtrak. With the way security is progressing in the airline business, passengers will be flying in their underwear! Also, I want my grandson to experience the country through ground travel from Pennsylvania to New Mexico.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:32 PM

144 posts, read 330,380 times
I have lived/worked/travelled in Mexico for 17 years and I believe what you are proposing verges on the insane. I have attached a link to the US State Department's most recent advice----

Mexico (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_4755.html - broken link)

Old 03-29-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicomike View Post
I have lived/worked/travelled in Mexico for 17 years and I believe what you are proposing verges on the insane. I have attached a link to the US State Department's most recent advice----

Mexico (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_4755.html - broken link)
Your advice is well taken. I served 18 months in Viet-Nam with the 4th Infantry Division as a Platoon Sergent. I still retain the skills and experiences that kept my men and me alive through what I can best describe as "Hell on Earth"! I would not intentionally endanger the life of my grandson by being in the "wrong place at the wrong time". I have extensive experience within Mexico owning to 12 years of driving truck. My trip is planned for the summer of 2011, should the security situation in Mexico not have improved at that time, I certainly would avoid any travel to the Zona Frontera area of Mexico, and would travel to an interior city with a large expat American presence. My Mexican travel plans are very fluid and will be in accord with the latest travel advisements. The primary purpose of my trip is to evaluate housing and other considerations in Las Cruces, NM. Mexico is a secondary consideration that can be altered or eliminated, if necessary.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:05 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
What was the point of this posting?

Old 03-30-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
What was the point of this posting?
I haven't been in Mexico since 1985 and the world sure has changed since them. My experiences not withstanding, I wanted to get a feel for the realities of present day Mexican travel. Many of the places that I frequented in the 70's and 80's are now on DHS security bulletins because of the drug wars, drug routes into the US and the human smuggling of illegals into the US. The US has become a "paper tiger" and the laughing stock of the world. When a county losses control of its borders, it has lost its right to be a country and it will degenerate into anarchy, fragmentation and dissolution.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:31 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Apparently, there are huge drug wars going on in border towns these days. Lots of murder and mayhem. Innocent victims are killed often.

If you want to go to Mexico, I would recommend something besides a border town - something more tourist oriented where visitors have some level of protection. Mexico is not want it used to be, my friend, and ignoring the dangers would be foolish.

There are many travel warnings and advisories from our government about travel to Mexico. I would take them very seriously if I were you.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-30-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Apparently, there are huge drug wars going on in border towns these days. Lots of murder and mayhem. Innocent victims are killed often.

If you want to go to Mexico, I would recommend something besides a border town - something more tourist oriented where visitors have some level of protection. Mexico is not want it used to be, my friend, and ignoring the dangers would be foolish.

There are many travel warnings and advisories from our government about travel to Mexico. I would take them very seriously if I were you.

20yrsinBranson
OK! I will not be traveling to Mexico with my grandson for any purposes whatsoever! The OP's win and Mexico loses! In fact, I will not be traveling to Las Cruces, NM as LC is only about 50 miles from the Zona Frontera. I'll just stay in PA and die! To hell I will! How many of the OP's that posted on this thread spent time in combat operations? My guess would be none! Do you think that I'm some kind of a fool? That I would intentionally put my grandson and myself in harms way? I suggest that those concerned roll up in their safety cocoon and stay there while the rest of the world moves on!

Old 03-30-2010, 05:10 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Some poor advice being given here. Lot of blowing smoke from some that have spent a vacation or too and are posting I would imagine from the US and NOT in Mexico. Wonder how many actual days/months were spent in the interior of Mexico to voice a intellegent opinion.

Lived in Mexico city for three yrs and now south of Rosarito for 14 yrs next month.

Shoot...there many Americans coming down here every weekend...granted the econ omy has slowed things down a little but they are still coming. I have driven all over Mexico and never had a fear of anything or anyone during those trips.

If you read carefully the problem is concentrated in specific areas and not over many nice places in the country that a person could visit.

If your name is Jose or Manuel and have family in Mexico you might be in danger but if your name is Smith or Jones etc and are a tourist then things should be okay. How many Americans have been killed in those trouble spots other then those with Hispanic Surnames...stop and think.

I'm not sure how to be any more explicit then what I've said here.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico