U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-03-2010, 08:41 PM

5,200 posts, read 9,929,356 times
If you were to look at a map of Mexico and see the main HWYS...that is were the Immigration/Military points are. Some are close along the US/Mexico border and some are further inland with the stop being the only way south into central Baja or the mainland. I have driven them in Baja many times going to Cabo and also at El Paso Tex. towards central and into Mexico City. They are there and unless you knew the side farm roads from a locals standpoint ...no other choice.

They do look at your Passport and one time I was 3 days over my 90 days and was threatened for being over. Told him that the ferry was cancelled and I was SOL. As long as I was returning to the US he let me go.

As to staying south of the "free zone" with a travel trailer...possible as long as Money or SS (direct deposit) is in the bank it is possible to use the ATM and stay for ever (so to speak) barring any major illness. They would not bother you as there are so many Americans and Canadians in Cabo area that I know of. Without a Passport...definete problem getting back into the US.

Another thing...you need to show residence address in Mexico via Ownership or rental agreement and Passport to get Electricity and phone service. Same thing with Mexican cell phone. No Passport shown and they will cut off the cell phone. This last part was just within the last 6 months. They copied my Passport to register my Cell as being used Legally here.

Lot more stuff...DM me if you wish. Steve

Old 04-04-2010, 12:21 AM

3,073 posts, read 4,296,202 times
This might not answer your question but WHY NOT stay here an assume another identity. Learn some spanish and act just like the zillions of illegal hispanics do that are here. They get by ok with no legal identity and so should you. For all practical reasons you are now an undocumented worker..

Old 04-04-2010, 03:36 AM

3,608 posts, read 4,103,573 times
Hiding from the law takes a lot more than just moving south of the border. Better get ready for no contact with anyone you knew and assuming a fake identity. Mexican authorities will gladly go hunting for you if they get info on where you are and quickly deport you if you face charges. In short you will be in a very narrow band of land with no way to go back north and getting potentially caught going south. Plus if you need more than basic health care a hospital is going to want some proof of identity and status unless you show you can pay any bills...so basically you won't be getting admitted. Is that really the life you want?

Old 04-04-2010, 08:13 AM

54 posts, read 80,733 times
You need a passport for everything including the auto import sticker. If you have no sticker they can impound your car. Face the music up north

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-03-2010 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: manual signatures are NOT allowed

Old 04-04-2010, 10:20 AM

47,586 posts, read 34,426,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisurpal4ever View Post
If a person facing unfortonute charges wanted to go retire in Mexico without much money, how would they do it?. I just want to live out my life in peace. I don't need any lectures or scare tactics - would just like to hear from people with advice and knowledge on Mexico and my questions/type of situation. I have done a lot of reading forums such as this one and reluctantly decided I would start this thread.

With no passport, I know one can get in, but its the rest that concerns me. With a birth certificaste, SS card, and driver license, can one get an FMT or do other things?. I plan to drive my vehicle in initially (?).

What areas would be the best to go to?
I will go with a little money to live for a while but will need to find some source of income at some point. I will just live as cheap as I can until I find that. I understand that one should have the FM-1 etc but also that many exist without. I suppose most of those have a source of income or something and I will for a little while (few months?), but wonder what area

I wonder if there is a black market to get documents etc.

I wonder if there are Americans that need a smart guy with college, MS office and typing skills (and a lot of other general knowledge - am pretty smart - except for some sbad choices in life). I'm a very hard worker with a sense of organization and details. I just wish I could have more detailed knowledge and planning ability here.

I wonder a lot of things about Mexico.

Am curious as to anyone's experiences there and how things are changing for foriegners with new technology, etc.

Thank you very much for your time.
I knew a guy who went to Mexico over tax evasion charges in the USA - and yes he wasn't paying taxes but couldn't after the amount and fines made them so high - so he ran.

He was fluent in Spanish so that helped but he married a woman in Mexico so he had the family support network and that allowed him to do some kind of work there legally or semi-legally. I've heard he once wanted to come back to the USA just for a visit but was afraid they'd catch up with him, and that he just kind of blended into Mexican life with his inlaws and wife and kids.

I really don't advise breaking Mexican law because you can't legally work there without permission and that takes a while - but I know there are people who do that. Mexico unlike the USA enforces it's immigration laws and it will deport you if it finds you there illegally -- especially if you're working.

You can see in certain tourist areas like Cancun, Isla de Mujeres, Acapulco and such certain Americans and others who aren't tourists, they're living and staying there, making some kind of living and one would suspect illegally. There are people who don't care about laws and will employ an American they know is there illegally or will find them jobs like dishwashing -- or part of the large black market industry in Mexico. The tourist areas are where you see the Americans and others who you can most suspect are living in the shadows -- because obviously that's where it's easiest, where Americans don't stick out. You can kind of tell when you see them that's what they're doing.

And yes you can buy documents but if you don't look or talk at least a little like a real citizen, those documents won't help you. Guatemalans will obtain fake birth certificates from Chiapas because they can look and talk like they might be from there but the typical American doesn't have that.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:28 AM

5 posts, read 26,230 times
Thank you guys.
I realize that if I make the Mexican plunge there will be no comming back.
Thats why I am trying to find out everything I can and have a plan before going.
Thank you for the communication invite Steve - I will take you up on it a little later when I have time.

Yes, as I suspected, the way to go would be to get a new identity - maybe a friend;s passport if I could think of anyone willing to do that for me (somebody who will never go to Mexico). I would need to do more then just hide out in border towns. I would need to find a new life. I might have a couple thousand dollars to start out with and then SS for a while (until it is cut off for evading charges???).

I do seem to have some time here but the gillitine could come down on me any time in the next 9 or 10 months and every day I am nervous. If I could just get a hold of a passport, that is my one big missing item. I don't care what name itg has on it - maybe just anybody within 10 years of my age. The thing is I have never been the criminal type to know the kind of people involved in that sort of stuff, however, if I did meet them I coulod blend in enough to do what I need to do. It also sounds like with 9-11 and technology, things might be finally getting less easy. Gone are the Rockford files days I suppose, when you could appearantly find a dead person and assume their identity.

It sounds like I would not be able to get vehicle permit or tourist permit without passport.

Malamute: I'm thinking I would want fake documents as an American, not a Mexican - I got blonde hair and the whole works.

I have never spoken any Spanish but plan to learn - got some CD's. Seems hard to learn but I will it will take some time.

The one thing I need is a new identity and passport. I wonder where I would find them.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:03 AM

47,586 posts, read 34,426,613 times
Fake American documents aren't going to help you to stay and work in Mexico. I suppose it would be very easy to obtain new American documents and just come back over the border to the US with a new identity - that's what illegals do all the time. It only costs about $400 to buy a fake laser visa but you turn it in when you get into the USA because they "recycle" them over and over. Stolen documents are a big business - they do use the birth certificates of dead Americans and even take out clean social security numbers using them - for the illegals.

In Mexico, if you're illegally working, you really do have to live in the shadows. It's not like in the USA where the laws are extremely lax and rarely enforced.

You could just become an illegal living and working in the USA with fake American papers and get in on the next amnesty they're promising like so many millions of foreigners are doing. Then you'll be given a new legitimate identity of your own.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:29 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,877,748 times
If you haven't been charged yet why not just apply and get your own passport?

The problem with hiding out in the U.S. is that if you ever screw up and get arrested even for DWI then when you're booked and printed your fingerprints are likely to reveal your true identity.

I don't know or care to know the details of your impending charges but perhaps you would be better off talking to a good lawyer now about your chances for bonding out once charged, then being acquitted or getting a plea deal for def adj, probation, or minimal sentence?

Old 04-05-2010, 11:39 AM

758 posts, read 1,084,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Hiding from the law takes a lot more than just moving south of the border. Better get ready for no contact with anyone you knew and assuming a fake identity. Mexican authorities will gladly go hunting for you if they get info on where you are and quickly deport you if you face charges. In short you will be in a very narrow band of land with no way to go back north and getting potentially caught going south. Plus if you need more than basic health care a hospital is going to want some proof of identity and status unless you show you can pay any bills...so basically you won't be getting admitted. Is that really the life you want?

This is correct. Unless you are willing to live in questionable neighborhoods in Mexico, you will stand out and people will want to know your story. Not only that, the U.S. and Mexico have a great legal relationship and extraditions are commonplace; the Mexican government has enough trouble dealing with domestic criminals and isn't crazy about foreign criminals taking refuge.

It all depends on the charges you have... but (and I know you asked not to- be lectured about it) don't you think you're making it worse? Mexico is a rough place and certain costs r just as much as the U.S.

It all depends, again, on what the charges are. Murder and/or rape? Yeah, you'll be extradited.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:21 AM

3,608 posts, read 4,103,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Fake American documents aren't going to help you to stay and work in Mexico. I suppose it would be very easy to obtain new American documents and just come back over the border to the US with a new identity - that's what illegals do all the time. It only costs about $400 to buy a fake laser visa but you turn it in when you get into the USA because they "recycle" them over and over. Stolen documents are a big business - they do use the birth certificates of dead Americans and even take out clean social security numbers using them - for the illegals.

In Mexico, if you're illegally working, you really do have to live in the shadows. It's not like in the USA where the laws are extremely lax and rarely enforced.

You could just become an illegal living and working in the USA with fake American papers and get in on the next amnesty they're promising like so many millions of foreigners are doing. Then you'll be given a new legitimate identity of your own.
Most Americans working in Mexico are in jobs serving other English speaking people so they aren't really facing much pressure to be "legal" since immigration authorities only investigate when a Mexican complains. Where it gets dicey are jobs like working in restaurants or bars where its obvious perfect English is a good attribute to have, but some Mexican hears about how much workers there earn and complains about it to authorities creating an investigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico