Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 02:48 PM

5 posts, read 63,814 times

Advertisements

If a person facing unfortonute charges wanted to go retire in Mexico without much money, how would they do it?. I just want to live out my life in peace. I don't need any lectures or scare tactics - would just like to hear from people with advice and knowledge on Mexico and my questions/type of situation. I have done a lot of reading forums such as this one and reluctantly decided I would start this thread.

With no passport, I know one can get in, but its the rest that concerns me. With a birth certificaste, SS card, and driver license, can one get an FMT or do other things?. I plan to drive my vehicle in initially (?).

What areas would be the best to go to?
I will go with a little money to live for a while but will need to find some source of income at some point. I will just live as cheap as I can until I find that. I understand that one should have the FM-1 etc but also that many exist without. I suppose most of those have a source of income or something and I will for a little while (few months?), but wonder what area

I wonder if there is a black market to get documents etc.

I wonder if there are Americans that need a smart guy with college, MS office and typing skills (and a lot of other general knowledge - am pretty smart - except for some sbad choices in life). I'm a very hard worker with a sense of organization and details. I just wish I could have more detailed knowledge and planning ability here.

I wonder a lot of things about Mexico.

Am curious as to anyone's experiences there and how things are changing for foriegners with new technology, etc.

Thank you very much for your time.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:34 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
A lot of the questions you ask are already on other threads re Mexico.

You cross into Mexico easy... a Passport (good for 10 yrs) would be needed to return back into the US and then what?

FMT/FM2/FM3 all need a passport.

The border is a Free Zone for so many KM inland. Past that point a FMT (limited usage) would be needed. You could stay very easy within those few miles from the border without the FM'S...just need your Passport to cross back.

Working? would you be willing to work for their LOW daily wage if at all possible?

Even if there were some American with a business here...he could hire several people for what you would need/want in wages. The living standards are NOT the same as in the US. The COST of living for a Mexican National will vary...a lot cheaper then what we are accustomed too.

You would need some sort of US income...SS alone is possible with the low rents available that are based on Mexican economy.

I'm retired here as are other Americans...in my case built my own home and do have SS income. NOT everyone BUILDS...many RENT.

Read other threads to pick up on some info.

Steve

Old 04-03-2010, 05:02 PM

Yes, thank you. I have read the many other threads here (or most) and am still reading. Some things seem vauge or have different people saying different things. The main thing I am thinking is that in order to really settle in somewhere I would want to go beyond the border - free zone, but if I don't have a passport, will that be difficult? Some people say they never had papers checked - thers say you must have things. Before I make this decision I wish I could plan more things. I just bought a book today and will keep reading stuff around the internet. I also wonder how much policies may be changing.

I realize the standard of living isn't like the USA if I want to live cheap. I also realize I can never earn a wage like in the US, but then the costs should be a lot cheaper too.

I wonder how to get by having a passport to get an FMT.

I also wonder what place might be the best as a target spot to settle and what type of job I might be able to get, etc.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:03 PM

Also wondering about any contacts I might be able to develop that would help - and what ways I might be able to help them in return (if any).
One might be able to hire a bunch of Mexicans instead of me, but perhaps I have some skills that those Mexican's don't have.
Also, I am not looking to do much other than find a reasonable existance.

A small question: Do the cheaper places to stay have electricity? Same type of outlet as in US?

Old 04-03-2010, 06:03 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
Okay...lets get to the bottom line on info.

You need info from those who are living in Mexico and NOT those that have just visited for a vacation etc.

Fly from any city in the US to any major city in Mexico and you need a Passport to get on the plane and when arriving at your destination you will be met by a Immigration agent who will ask for your Passport/Visa and purpose of visit...then will stamp it for 90 or 180 days max depending on your answer. I know this for a fact as I married a Mexican national in Mexico City and lived there for three yrs going back and forth every 90 days and then 180 after I explained my trips while being married to a citizen. Not able to work was a question they asked me about(ILLEGAL as H***) punishable by deportation. My wife was a former Senior Govmt employee and I learned the ropes.

Work? what mexican company is going to hire you when you do not have a Mexican ID considering they can hire a national at the prevailing local wage. With a FM2/3 you would be able to work legally. Look up the requirements on "Mexican Immigration" that will explain the requirements.

Am not going to go into detail how families live in Mexico and why they can live with the LOW wages. You would have to see how it is done.

I've done just about all I can under the circumstances...wish you well.

Steve

PS; Forgot your question on the electrcity...YES...there is electricity available all over Mexico..wife was Senior Executive with the company. They would run lines for 5 miles if needed for a house in the boondocks with NO extra charge involved.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:31 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,091 times
The plugs are the same too, in Mexico. Depending on where, many are not three prongs (no grounding). The minimum wage in Mexico is 55 pesos a day. That's about $4 US. While many make more than that, those who make more than 10x that amount are about 5% of the country. Could you survive on that?

Old 04-03-2010, 06:33 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
I own half interest in a condo located on the Southern tip of Baja, and travel there usually once a year for a week at a time. I've noticed American's living in a small town just North of Cabo. One family I spoke to towed a travel trailer from the US to that location and they live there full time. Sometime back I read an article written by a US Citizen that traveled to Mexico to work for a telephone company. I've tried to find that article to relay the information on to you, but can't find it. From what the man that wrote the article said, the prospect of living in Mexico is one thing, but if you intend to work there, a whole bunch of rules apply and he said the Mexican government is very strict enforcing those rules, and getting the correct permits to work there is expensive. One thing I know, you don't want to go to a Mexican prison, they are in the middle of the desert and escaping would not be possible. The cost of living in the small villages around the resort towns isn't expensive, but I think you will have to depend on an income from the US to get by.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:34 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,091 times
About getting your papers checked, I once had mine checked while crossing over the border from Campeche to Tabasco. Oddity, yes, but it happens.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:59 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
To drive into the interior (which you'll want to do to find a safer and cheaper place to live) you'll not only need a FMT but a Temporary Vehicle Import Permit. Both are good for six months.

It's possible you would not be checked for documentation but there is a permanent military checkpoint between the border zone and the interior (between 20km to 50km inland) that is random, and the military also conducts random inspection checkpoints throughout Mexico (usually northbound).

If you're running away from legal problems, don't be so sure that will work, depending on the issues. I doubt you'll find any help here with "black markets" and how to live illegally in Mexico.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:04 PM

Thank you Steve and the rest of you. I had also read some of Steve's posts in other threads. The working or long term income seems to be the big catch. Also, the FMT (OR fM=1, 2, OR 3). So am I right in saying that one must have a passport to get even a tourist permit? Can it be gotten with SS card, driver license, and birth certificate? - I am guessing not from what has been said

I am thinking about staying here to face the ugliness - It might not be as bad as I think with all the regret I have and positive things I could do while waiting for actual charges. I just wish I had a crystal ball. That would certainly be better than a Mexican jail and if I should end up having to come back, I would have been much better off staying around to face the unpleasant music. I have just never faced anything like or even dreamed that I would. At my somewhat older age (not quite a baby boomer but not far behind), I just couldn't imagine the new life I may face for the rest of my life (?) - or maybe since I have never been in big trouble before it won't be so bad (?). I need to get on some legal forums for a while too.

I also read somewhere that if you don't have a travel permit, they just fine you $40. But then what? What would it take to be deported if I was a law abiding person otherwise?

Thank you all for the info you provided and anything else you can tell me.

Are they getting to the point where they look up anything with the USA? - I'm guessing not, but how could I get by without a passport beyond the "free zone"?

Last edited by Alisurpal4ever; 04-03-2010 at 08:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico