U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 06:42 PM

12 posts, read 30,016 times
Well, for what it's worth, my cousin and his wife (they are American citizens and Mexican citizens as well) decided to move to San José a couple of years ago and they tried to take their car (a Jeep) with them. They were not allowed to cross the border with the car and had to go back to Mexico and sell it here, then cross the border.
Perhaps there is a US government office that can clear this out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 07:07 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,338,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famonthemove View Post
Well, for what it's worth, my cousin and his wife (they are American citizens and Mexican citizens as well) decided to move to San José a couple of years ago and they tried to take their car (a Jeep) with them. They were not allowed to cross the border with the car and had to go back to Mexico and sell it here, then cross the border.
Perhaps there is a US government office that can clear this out.
I don't know why they couldn't take their car across the border. Mexican citizens drive across the border everyday with Mexican plated vehicles.

Many foreigners in the Lake Chapala area have Jalisco, MX., plated vehicles and drive back to the states and back to Mexico with no problem.

Maybe you should ask your cousin what the problem was with their Jeep that they were not allowed to enter the U.S. with it.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:20 PM

According to those who drive MX plated cars across the border, there is no problem.:

MexConnect.com Forums: General: Traveling Mexico: Driving Mexican plated car to Texas (http://tinyurl.com/6zubao6 - broken link)

Quote:
I am going to Texas to pick up some things next Friday and planing on crossing at Harlingen. We are going to cross, pick up the things and spend the night and start back the next morning.
What do I need to cross in and out of Mexico with this vehicle?
I have the Mexican insurance, title, Inspection what else do I need?
Quote:
You shouldn't need anything else although I would recommend you buy US liability insurance before you cross which is available for about $6 per day. You will probably be asked some questions about ownership of the vehicle as well as standard questions about purpose of the trip/where you are going and how long you will be in the US.

If the vehicle has been driven across before it should show up on the system. If the owner is not in the vehicle you will probably get checked a little closer.
Quote:
We drive from Mexico City to US once a year (for the last 10 years) with a Mexico plated car, two dogs, one US/Mex citizen and one Mexican citizen with B1/B2 Visa. I have never been asked a thing about the car or our pets. Hassled about many, many, many other things...but never the car.

I second Alta's reco, get temporary US auto insurance for your trip, it's very cheap. The Ins company I use asks for a copy the tarjeta de cirucalcion and a Mex DL.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:24 PM

12 posts, read 30,016 times
There was no problem with the car per se, I can't remember if the problem was that the car was going to stay there (instead of returning to Mexico) or what. I'll ask him again.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:07 PM

2,621 posts, read 2,239,782 times
I live in Connecticut and I remember that a couple of years ago a car with Mexico City license plates was in front of me, while we waited for a traffic light to turn green.

I was shocked given the unlikelihood of seeing such a thing in my neck of the woods; but not as shocked as I was when I saw a car with Puerto Rican license plates.

So yeah, Mexican plated vehicles can be driven in the US.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:50 PM

5,045 posts, read 9,288,115 times
Talking Driving a MX licensed car across the border

Did not read all the previous posts so will add info re this problem.

Dual citizen or not. A Mexican with dual citizenship (US) cannot bring a Mexican licensed car into the US as the US citizenship has prioity over the Mxican even tho they were born in Mexico. A Legal US resident in Mexico CAN drive a Mexican licensed car into the US.

A friend had his US plated car converted over to Mexican plates and when he drives across shows that he is a LEGAL resident of Mexico and has the Mexican Title etc with him. BP does not say a word.

On the other hand...............

I as an American did purchase two trucks in Mexico City for my business in Calif. Trying to across at TJ/San Diego was threatened with confiscation of the truck I was driveing. The border person was nice and allowed my to re enter Mexico where upon I ended selling it. I did register the trucks in my name at time of purchase. (Thats another story in itself)

An American can purchase a Mexican licensed car here but NOT take across the border w/o doing ALL the needed paperwork Registration/Ins/FM2/3 etc.

Steve

Old 07-17-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Did not read all the previous posts so will add info re this problem.

Dual citizen or not. A Mexican with dual citizenship (US) cannot bring a Mexican licensed car into the US as the US citizenship has prioity over the Mxican even tho they were born in Mexico. A Legal US resident in Mexico CAN drive a Mexican licensed car into the US.

An American can purchase a Mexican licensed car here but NOT take across the border w/o doing ALL the needed paperwork Registration/Ins/FM2/3 etc.
Steve
I cannot understand the first paragraph. If with a U.S./Mexican citizenship the U.S. citizenship takes priority, then that person would be treated as a U.S. citizen and be allowed to bring in his Mexican plated car as in your second statement that a legal U.S. resident in Mexico can drive a Mexican plated car into the U.S.

They would be treated the same if they have the same status.

Most U.S. citizens with Mexican plated cars live in the interior and have FM3/FM2.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:59 AM

5,045 posts, read 9,288,115 times
Lets see now....I have a Passport Card...driving a Calif licensed car and the BP asks me if this is my car or how long have I owned it.

I am a Canadian via birth and now a US citizen... my card states place of birth.

A Mexican born in Mexico is a Mexican citizen for life.

If a Mexican born is a NEW US citizen then he/she enters the US as an American and would not be able to take a Mexican licensed car across the border. If that were allowed then Calif would be overloaded with smog smoking unsafe vehicles.

After buying the two trucks in Mexico City I communicated with DOT in Washington and received the info re the importation of any foreign vehicle across the border into the US.

That info was received after my attemp in crossing at TJ not knowing the severity of the process and needs to fulfill all the needed paperwork, safety requirements of the DOT etc. Try it and find out for yourself.

As I previously stated re my friend. he has his US Passport in hand and the Mexican Legal papers of residency as per requirement in order to move a Mexican licensed vehicle across the border. How more explicit can I be.

A Mexican neighbor/friend is a green card holder/resident of Calif for 33 yrs...wife is naturalized citizen...has two Calif licensed cars and would not dream of changing plates into a Mexican licensed car. He paid in and draws SS every month as does his wife.

Above info is not pertinent in many cases just a possibility for some...maybe.

We all learn from others experiences and act accordingly.

Hmmmmm.... did I make any TYPO errors?

Old 07-20-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Lets see now....I have a Passport Card...driving a Calif licensed car and the BP asks me if this is my car or how long have I owned it.

I am a Canadian via birth and now a US citizen... my card states place of birth.

A Mexican born in Mexico is a Mexican citizen for life.

If a Mexican born is a NEW US citizen then he/she enters the US as an American and would not be able to take a Mexican licensed car across the border. If that were allowed then Calif would be overloaded with smog smoking unsafe vehicles.

After buying the two trucks in Mexico City I communicated with DOT in Washington and received the info re the importation of any foreign vehicle across the border into the US.

That info was received after my attemp in crossing at TJ not knowing the severity of the process and needs to fulfill all the needed paperwork, safety requirements of the DOT etc. Try it and find out for yourself.

As I previously stated re my friend. he has his US Passport in hand and the Mexican Legal papers of residency as per requirement in order to move a Mexican licensed vehicle across the border. How more explicit can I be.

A Mexican neighbor/friend is a green card holder/resident of Calif for 33 yrs...wife is naturalized citizen...has two Calif licensed cars and would not dream of changing plates into a Mexican licensed car. He paid in and draws SS every month as does his wife.

Above info is not pertinent in many cases just a possibility for some...maybe.

We all learn from others experiences and act accordingly.

Hmmmmm.... did I make any TYPO errors?
Mexican citizens drive their Mexican plated cars across the border everyday. U.S. and Canadian citizens drive their Mexican plated cars across the border everyday. Mexican citizens who are also U.S. citizens drive their Mexican plated cars across the border everyday. U.S. citizens who are also Mexican citizens drive their Mexican plated cars across the border everyday.

Quote:
I've never been questioned by anyone at the border, Mexican or U.S. side.

Quote:
If a person has dual citizenship, the law in both Mexico and the USA says he must identify himself as a citizen of the country he is in at the moment.
If you have a residence in the U.S., then there is a problem.

MexConnect.com Forums: General: General Forum: Driving a Mexican-plated vehicle into the USA

Quote:
Driving a Mexican-plated vehicle into the USA

Watch commander Klump. (520-375-5785) of the Customs and Border Protection Agency in Nogales gave these rules for crossing into the USA with Mexican plated vehicles:

If you only have a residence in Mexico and do not have a residence in the USA, you will have no problem. Customs assumes the vehicle will only be driven in the US temporarily and will be returned to Mexico. If you have a residence in the USA, even with another in México, you may not take the Mexican plated vehicle into the USA.

Mexicans citizens may drive their vehicle into the USA

It is not clear to me how this can be enforced.
Quote:
Under US law, a Mexican plated vehicle may remain in the United States for up to a year. I have taken mine to Florida and had it there for nine months. No permit was issued.
Quote:
Steve Bagu: Hmmmmm.... did I make any TYPO errors?
Yes, many.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:08 PM

1,773 posts, read 4,893,394 times
Here in Orange County, especially along interstate 5 heading north towards LA I see cars with Mexico plates every day, most from Baja California Norte. I have seen plates from nearly every state in Mexico at one time or another around here. Many come here to visit relatives in LA or Orange County. Along the highways of any area in the southwestern US within 100 miles of the border with Mexico, you will see cars with Mexico plates. I have driven to Texas many times and see lots that use I-10 to get from BC or Sonora to Chihuahua or Tamaulipas or Nuevo Laredo, because it's the fastest way and there are no tolls.

It's really no big deal, most are here to visit and shop and spend money, which is usually good for our lousy economy. And of course there are always some guys drive pickup trucks to our area to scavenge the flea markets and garage sales and drive them back south horrendously overloaded. It amazes me the axles of the overloaded pickup trucks don't break more often
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico