Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:42 AM

142 posts, read 442,082 times

Advertisements

I have not been to Ensenda in about 10 years. Thinking about taking a trip there and wondering how safe it is these days. Has the city suffered any violence related to the drug wars/cartels?

Also, given I'd most likely be driving from the San Diego border to Ensenda I am wondering about the safety of getting there and back (driving during the day of course).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 10:55 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,924,573 times
Make sure you have the US Passport to get back.

Coming across stay in the right lane to the sign that says Playa or toll road. you will drive along the fence towards the beach and the sign saying Ensenada to the left and then there will be 3 toll booths to pay before getting to your destination in Ensenada. Smooth driving all the way during the day time with a chance to gas up (cheaper then US prices).

Old 04-19-2010, 10:57 AM

Perhaps I have just answered my own question with this link to the US State Dept's latest travel advisory for Mexico. And that answer would be to NOT travel to Ensenda?????

Mexico (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_4755.html - broken link)

To quote from the state department bulletin:

"A number of areas along the border continue to experience a rapid growth in crime. Robberies, homicides, petty thefts, and carjackings have all increased over the last year across Mexico, with notable spikes in Chihuahua, Sinaloa, and northern Baja California. Ciudad Juarez, Tijuana and Nogales are among the cities that have experienced public shootouts during daylight hours in shopping centers and other public venues. Criminals have followed and harassed U.S. citizens traveling in their vehicles in border areas including Nuevo Laredo, Matamoros, and Tijuana."

Old 04-19-2010, 11:11 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,970,184 times
I went there for a day trip on a cruise. Gotta be honest, did feel a bit uneasy walking around town. When we were in the actual bar, it was fine. If you are a girl, I'd make sure you have at least 2 other people with you. Preferably, not all girls especially at night. I don't really remember any hotels really close to the bar area there so you'll need a Taxi. DO NOT WALK BACK AT NIGHT!

Old 04-19-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I went there for a day trip on a cruise. Gotta be honest, did feel a bit uneasy walking around town. When we were in the actual bar, it was fine. If you are a girl, I'd make sure you have at least 2 other people with you. Preferably, not all girls especially at night. I don't really remember any hotels really close to the bar area there so you'll need a Taxi. DO NOT WALK BACK AT NIGHT!
I am a guy...but I would plan to travel with at least one other person..

Old 04-20-2010, 10:35 AM

144 posts, read 494,086 times
I wouldn't sweat it. My family and I feel very comfortable in Ensenada. A cool drive is down through Tecate. Some nice scenery.
There are lots of hotels in the downtown/bar area that I have stayed at that are not just fine but nice.
Go have a good time.
If you take the toll road use the ATM at the last(3rd) one and get some pesos......they go WAY further than dollars.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:15 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,495,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
The town of Ensenada scared you? What this your first time in Mexico or something?

Ensenada is packed full of tourists, great sights, clean town for the most part (until you get outside of the downtown area).

I HIGHLY recommend heading down to La Bufadora and Punta Banda, have some lunch check out the sights and culture.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/98/La-Bufadora-Spray.jpg/300px-La-Bufadora-Spray.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-20-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post

Ensenada is packed full of tourists, great sights, clean town for the most part (until you get outside of the downtown area).

I HIGHLY recommend heading down to La Bufadora and Punta Banda, have some lunch check out the sights and culture.
Nice photos...thanks for posting.

So how about the possibility of a white (anglo) guy from California visiting Ensenda to meet a nice local Mexican girl??

Is that easy to do if you only visit the tourist areas??

Do you think the local women are receptive to American guys, assuming they speak a little Spanish and are culturally sensitive, etc.??

Old 04-20-2010, 02:38 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,495,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDay70 View Post
Nice photos...thanks for posting.

So how about the possibility of a white (anglo) guy from California visiting Ensenda to meet a nice local Mexican girl??

Is that easy to do if you only visit the tourist areas??

Do you think the local women are receptive to American guys, assuming they speak a little Spanish and are culturally sensitive, etc.??
There are some beautiful local girls there, but I think they are pretty much immune to American guys around tourist areas.

I think you would have better luck meeting Mexican girls in San Diego or deep into Mexico like Guadalajara or Monterrey...even TJ.

Of course it could happen bro!

Last edited by Mach50; 04-20-2010 at 02:46 PM..

Old 04-20-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
There are some beautiful local girls there, but I think they are pretty much immune to American guys around tourist areas.

I think you would have better luck meeting Mexican girls in San Diego or deep into Mexico like Guadalajara or Monterrey.

Of course it could happen bro!
Thanks.

Yes, I have had the pleasure of meeting some nice Mexican women deep in the heart of Mexico (Guadalajara, Playa Del Carmen, etc). I agree...better to get far away from the border to meet local women.

I always figured it would be harder in Baja given the steady flow of tourists...they probably grow tired of all the gringo guys comming into town. Who knows...I might give a try sometime.

Thanks all the same!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico