Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 04:03 PM

683 posts, read 1,468,932 times

Advertisements

Latín américa is not a freacking continent. Brazil in south américa has nothing to do with méxico. México has everything to do with the U.S. Since both countries are neighbours and north american mexcans are the second largest ethnicity in the U.S.

Brasil cant be compared to méxico. They are not located in the same continent. They dont speak the same language. And they have no cultural/genetic links.

Last edited by Edu983; 04-21-2010 at 04:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 06:49 PM

758 posts, read 2,240,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post

Okay...

Unemployment figures in Mexico are absolutely useless, and this is well known. Even people who are marginally employed (such as having a tienda de abarrotes where they make a few pesos a day) are counted as employed. Bunk.

The Mexican government defines (indigena) as somebody who speaks an indigenous language, which puts the figure at about 7% of the population. Mestizo is considerably more, in fact, most of the rest.

Brazil has many problems, undeniably, but they are on the right track. Mexico is going sideways. It's unfortunate that the drug wars demand so much attention from the government because its diverting it away from the real changes that need to occur if the country is going to move forward. It's very frustrating to see Mexico still trying to build its economy on those factory jobs that it simply can't retain because of competition from Asia, while Brazil creates its own markets.
I agree 100% with this. There's nothing I don't agree with on here. I just don't know if looking up to Brazil is the solution to Mexico's problems

Old 04-21-2010, 11:16 PM

186 posts, read 611,496 times
The biggest problem with the country, in my opinion, is FeCal. But that doesn't really belong on this forum, so I'll leave it at that.

I agree that looking up to Brazil may not be the best idea.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:04 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,884,616 times
Brazil thinks of itself as almost a continent in itself. Unlike Mexico they look up to no one and could in many cases care less what is going on outside the borders and the language difference with the rest of the continent drives that to some degree as well. They are the center of gravity in South America so its just a very different country in a different situation than Mexico.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:29 AM

Brazil looks up to Europe a lot, actually.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:21 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post

Brasil cant be compared to méxico. They are not located in the same continent. They dont speak the same language. And they have no cultural/genetic links.
Of course they are in the SAME Continent, check a map!

Portuguese and Spanish culture are so linked as the German and the Netherlands, from the same root.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Brazil thinks of itself as almost a continent in itself. Unlike Mexico they look up to no one and could in many cases care less what is going on outside the borders and the language difference with the rest of the continent drives that to some degree as well. They are the center of gravity in South America so its just a very different country in a different situation than Mexico.

and then explain Brazil's influence throughout South America if the majority of its neighboring countries speak spanish, not Portuguese?

Old 04-22-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
I agree 100% with this. There's nothing I don't agree with on here. I just don't know if looking up to Brazil is the solution to Mexico's problems
Mexico dont look up to Brazil to solve his problems, but it would help if the country follow the same path, more private investment in the oil industry it will be better, also invest more in research and development.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
Mexico dont look up to Brazil to solve his problems, but it would help if the country follow the same path, more private investment in the oil industry it will be better, also invest more in research and development.
Couldn't agree with you more, inombrable. PEMEX is a national embarassment and TELMEX is ridiculous. Government intervention, subsidies and nepotism stiffle much of the growth in Mexico. The rest is stiffled by negative attitudes, contempt for laws and education, etc..

The innovative spirit and human ingenuiety are alive and well in Mexico, but there's no environment for it to flourish into something productive for society and for the world.. The only sector of the economy where I think innovation thrives in Mexico is criminality. I know it's a dark and sinister way to look at it, but I've travelled all over the world, and Mexican criminals are the most inventive and organized ever. They blow European criminals out of the water. Each year I find out about new ways that criminals in Mexico operate. And the decent Mexican people find ways to guard themselves against this, so criminals develop new ways. IF this type of attitude of ingenuiety and continuing innovation was applied to the oil sector, transportation sector, medicine, agriculture, etc... Mexico would be in the ranks of European countries.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:34 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
Of course they are in the SAME Continent, check a map!

Portuguese and Spanish culture are so linked as the German and the Netherlands, from the same root.
Um, perhaps you are confusing "continent" with "hemisphere"? Brasil is in South America, Mexico is in North America. Those are two different continents.

http://www.cfschools.net/schools/veterans/218/t7con.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico