Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 07:53 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times

Advertisements

I had previously done some research that indicated Americans (non-nationals) cannot own property in Mexico. In order to buy a house/land, one has to have the bank own the property. If I'm incorrect, please supply the correct information, with links.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 01:24 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,190,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I had previously done some research that indicated Americans (non-nationals) cannot own property in Mexico. In order to buy a house/land, one has to have the bank own the property. If I'm incorrect, please supply the correct information, with links.
A 'bank trust' is only true within 30 miles (I believe) of the coast.. After that you can obtain title as a foreigner. There is loads of info on this in other CD-Mex postings. Just do a search above.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:35 PM

131 posts, read 420,003 times
My parents retired in Mexico actually. A small gated community south of Rosarito.

They seem to enjoy it, as it allows them to live a nice lifestyle on just a modest retirement. They had a lot of problems middle age with money, so it was either what they're doing now, or work until they're dead. I still haven't visted them while in Mexico, but it's a nice place from the pics I've seen.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:38 PM

125 posts, read 244,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekygisela View Post
My parents retired in Mexico actually. A small gated community south of Rosarito.

They seem to enjoy it, as it allows them to live a nice lifestyle on just a modest retirement. They had a lot of problems middle age with money, so it was either what they're doing now, or work until they're dead. I still haven't visted them while in Mexico, but it's a nice place from the pics I've seen.
I'm sure that you would want to visit your parents as soon as practical. Your parents are irreplaceable, only two to a child.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzernecntygent View Post
I'm sure that you would want to visit your parents as soon as practical. Your parents are irreplaceable, only two to a child.
They usually come up into CA to visit me. It's a lot more of a hassle at the border for them... but I'm a fairly small, single, white female driving a brand new car. I'm somewhat uncomfortable driving through TJ at the moment given the cartel activity there. I'm sure not all of it is as rampant as our media places it, but it still sits in the back of my mind. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
They usually come up into CA to visit me. It's a lot more of a hassle at the border for them... but I'm a fairly small, single, white female driving a brand new car. I'm somewhat uncomfortable driving through TJ at the moment given the cartel activity there. I'm sure not all of it is as rampant as our media places it, but it still sits in the back of my mind. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Understood. Perhaps you could have a large male accompany you to your parents' location as your guest? Do you have to drive through TJ to get to your parents location? BTW, driving a US car in Mexico, especially a new car, is not a good idea. You would need Mexican auto insurance and driving in Mexico can be a real adventure for the novice driver. Here is a page link for info re Mexican auto insurance for US registered vehicles. The page link also provides information on vehicle documentation to bring a vehicle into Mexico and than back to the US. Also, there are numerous tips on the do's and don'ts for driving in Mexico. How about taking a bus to see your parents accompanied by a large male guest? I'm sure that your parents would be agreeable to that arrangement.

Driving in Mexico - All About Driving in Mexico

Last edited by luzernecntygent; 05-16-2010 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: Edit text.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzernecntygent View Post
Understood. Perhaps you could have a large male accompany you to your parents' location as your guest? Do you have to drive through TJ to get to your parents location? BTW, driving a US car in Mexico, especially a new car, is not a good idea. You would need Mexican auto insurance and driving in Mexico can be a real adventure for the novice driver. Here is a page link for info re Mexican auto insurance for US registered vehicles. The page link also provides information on vehicle documentation to bring a vehicle into Mexico and than back to the US. Also, there are numerous tips on the do's and don'ts for driving in Mexico. How about taking a bus to see your parents accompanied by a large male guest? I'm sure that your parents would be agreeable to that arrangement.

Driving in Mexico - All About Driving in Mexico
I would have to cross the border at TJ (at the end of I-5), and then drive through it to get to the coastal highway. There are 1 of 2 ways to get there, the other cutting to the south of TJ, or heading directly west from there towards the coastal highway. Neither of which are exactly efficient. I think I'd actually be less comfortable taking the bus. Maybe a rental car. Someday... everytime though they offer to drive up.

Already checked on Mexican driving insurance. My parents make it up into the US for holidays, and they still love coming to Newport on the 4th of July for the fireworks.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I would have to cross the border at TJ (at the end of I-5), and then drive through it to get to the coastal highway. There are 1 of 2 ways to get there, the other cutting to the south of TJ, or heading directly west from there towards the coastal highway. Neither of which are exactly efficient. I think I'd actually be less comfortable taking the bus. Maybe a rental car. Someday... everytime though they offer to drive up.

Already checked on Mexican driving insurance. My parents make it up into the US for holidays, and they still love coming to Newport on the 4th of July for the fireworks.
OK, looks like you have everything covered with your parents. Good luck!

Old 05-17-2010, 03:32 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,515,515 times
I lived in in Mexico for many years. Huatulco, south pacific near Guatamala, expensive and a little hot and humid. Also lived in San Miguel de Allende, beautiful, perfect climate, almost no crime of any kind, lots of foreigners, a little expensive to buy, buy rent is affordable.
Also spent a year in Ajijic, just west of Lago Chapala. Affordable, good weather, lots for sell and rent, lots of foreigners.

Lived in many other areas off the beaten path and some time in cities.
I would recommend Ajijic or San Miguel de Allende. You can check the links or google them.
Good Luck.

Welcome to Ajijic Real Estate (Ajijic.com) - Lake Chapala Real Estate

Ajijic Villas: Homes for rent in Mexico

Ajijic Real Estate - Enjoy Retirement in Ajijic and Lake Chapala, Mexico

san miguel de allende mexico - Google Search

San Miguel de Allende Today - Articles - Travel + Leisure

All About San Miguel de Allende, Mexico!

Old 05-17-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
I lived in in Mexico for many years. Huatulco, south pacific near Guatamala, expensive and a little hot and humid. Also lived in San Miguel de Allende, beautiful, perfect climate, almost no crime of any kind, lots of foreigners, a little expensive to buy, buy rent is affordable.
Also spent a year in Ajijic, just west of Lago Chapala. Affordable, good weather, lots for sell and rent, lots of foreigners.

Lived in many other areas off the beaten path and some time in cities.
I would recommend Ajijic or San Miguel de Allende. You can check the links or google them.
Good Luck.

Welcome to Ajijic Real Estate (Ajijic.com) - Lake Chapala Real Estate

Ajijic Villas: Homes for rent in Mexico

Ajijic Real Estate - Enjoy Retirement in Ajijic and Lake Chapala, Mexico

san miguel de allende mexico - Google Search

San Miguel de Allende Today - Articles - Travel + Leisure

All About San Miguel de Allende, Mexico!
Thanks for the very informative site links!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico