Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 04:00 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,424,368 times

Advertisements

"It is unsafe in Mexico. Don't go to Mexico."

Breitbart.tv » Mexican Pirates Terrorize Boaters on Border Lake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 05:32 PM

972 posts, read 3,915,139 times
Pirates? In a little lake? :lol:

Old 05-21-2010, 05:59 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,764,356 times
Good Lord, they've been watching too much CNN and Fox News on Somali pirates.......

Old 05-21-2010, 07:04 PM

758 posts, read 2,232,906 times
I agree it's stupid to actually make even a local news report about this,... especially since you're not supposed to cross into mexican waters, lol... but... it highlights some serious problems in Mexico. There's little security in rural areas, and wherever law enforcement is scant, criminalism prevails in Mexico. It's truly sad.

I own a boat and fish and ride it recreationally in Lake Amistad. (it's another international lake 15 minute drive from me) ... never had issues... but i always hear locals , both white and Mexican-American, scare the bejeesus out of people with tall tales of this sort.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:34 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,470,334 times
Maybe those aren't tall tales. Some things have gone on at the border for ages. Low lives see an opportunity and they take it which is why auto theft was always big at the border. Now there's a breakdown of law and order which makes me wonder if it was really good to replace local law enforcement with military.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:57 AM

972 posts, read 3,915,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Maybe those aren't tall tales. Some things have gone on at the border for ages. Low lives see an opportunity and they take it which is why auto theft was always big at the border. Now there's a breakdown of law and order which makes me wonder if it was really good to replace local law enforcement with military.

I hope USA do not make the same mistake as Mexico. The military are not trained for law enforcement, but to war.

If the U.S. does the same as Mexico's death toll in the U.S. it will increase as happen today in MX.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:15 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,470,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
I hope USA do not make the same mistake as Mexico. The military are not trained for law enforcement, but to war.

If the U.S. does the same as Mexico's death toll in the U.S. it will increase as happen today in MX.
I understand the rationale - I know in Juarez, it was decided that the local cops had too many family and neighborhood connections and yes they were for years corrupt - not all but enough and with anything there's the problem with blood being thicker than water, people being related to someone they shouldn't be related to.

Bringing the military in I believe was to get control over this region by Mexico City but most of the military is from southern states and don't understand the region or the people.

Just like I think it would be terrible to send the USA military in - plus illegal under Mexican law, any military that doesn't know the people would be a problem.

After all -- how can you tell just by looking at someone that they're the bad guys? When anyone goes to a different town they don't know, they can't tell who are the neighborhood kids who like to hang out and who are the gangs.

At least the local police were of the same community they served and they more or less kept control where they were. Of course they didn't keep control over the outskirts where there were no police and those with corrupt connections didn't do so well - but it there was probably some loyalty to their city and some understanding of it. Now you just have the military showing up a number of minutes after something occurs and taking notes.

But - what can they really do - they can't arrest everyone and they can't just look at a bunch of kids and know they're up to something.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:09 AM

125 posts, read 244,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
"It is unsafe in Mexico. Don't go to Mexico."

Breitbart.tv » Mexican Pirates Terrorize Boaters on Border Lake
Thank for the video post! It appears to me that it's pretty darn easy to cross over into the Mexican side of the lake. There's not exactly a fence out in the lake where the border runs. IMO, I'd stay off the lake, period!

Last edited by luzernecntygent; 05-23-2010 at 12:10 AM.. Reason: Edit text.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico