Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 01:02 PM

144 posts, read 330,380 times

Advertisements

Figures vary, but, a recent survey indicates that about a third of Mexicans want to leave their country.....Public Opinion in Mexico on U.S. Immigration: Zogby Poll Examines Attitudes | Center for Immigration Studies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 02:22 PM

186 posts, read 611,289 times
^ That sounds RIDICULOUSLY wrong.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:02 PM

469 posts, read 1,256,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicomike View Post
Figures vary, but, a recent survey indicates that about a third of Mexicans want to leave their country...
The text you referred to in the provided link stated, "A new Pew Research Center poll also found that about one-third of Mexicans would go to the United States if they could." Going to the United States does not necessarily equate to "leaving their country," as in emigrating. For example, I'd like to go to Paris (on a vacation). That does not mean I never want to return home! Interpretation is such a tricky thing.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:36 PM

^ Bingo.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:11 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 970diego View Post
^ That sounds RIDICULOUSLY wrong.
But if you're in Colorado, aren't you yourself one who wanted to leave?

Well - one of the families in my neighborhood just headed back home to Mexico. They decided they'd rather be there - so not all Mexicans choose the USA over their own country. I've known others who went home and said that was where they preferred to live.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:16 PM

No. I moved here when I was 7 because my American stepdad wanted us to move here. We didn't want to leave.

I would've been better off had I stayed.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
No. I moved here when I was 7 because my American stepdad wanted us to move here. We didn't want to leave.

I was talking with a guy in Chihuahua once and he was telling me how he spent a summer in Wisconsin - he liked it but he said his heart would always remain in Mexico, so he decided he had to go back.

The problem is - Americans don't often meet those people who prefer and choose Mexico, they meet the ones who insist they must live in the USA so the general assumption is made that no one wants to live in Mexico.

Still -- I think a lot of studies show it. I was watching something broadcast from Juarez once (or maybe from Mexico City) - they were interviewing people on the sidewalk asking if they intended to leave Mexico and a large number said yes, they wanted to go to the USA and the reason was almost always about more money, more things. They asked this poor campesino looking guy who said "why would we want to leave Mexico", "Mexico es nuestra riqueza" and so you know that there are those who don't choose to leave their country.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Diego, if you had stayed, you might never have gained the appreciation you now have for your native culture. If and when you might ever return permanently to Mexico, you will be far better off for being bicultural. I think anyone can benefit by being a "world citizen" with a diversity of perspectives, and the wisdom and sensitivity that comes with that. To my way of thinking, you won the lottery by being given two cultures. Now you are the chooser.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:47 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,158 times
This thread is getting very close to derailing, but I will respond to the question about the middle class. Mexico did have a middle class - a quite sizable one, up until about the 1980s. Neoliberalization and successive economic crises have ripped the guts out of that middle class. The poor stayed poor, the rich got richer, but the middle class truly got screwed. So while you say that the middle class is "growing," it is, but it's a far cry from what it once was. In some cities it's very difficult to make a living because the jobs pay so poorly. The government tried for years to attract those maquila jobs but the truth is that they paid very poorly, for extremely hard work that most burned out of after a few years. Unlike in the US, these factory jobs weren't creating a middle class; they were creating a lower class.

Regarding migrants, in most of the surveys I've read virtually all undocumented workers intend to make enough money to build a better home, and then move back once they're comfortable. In reality, people get caught up on the other side of the border - temporary connections become permanent, children are born, etc. It's not as easy as it appears to be.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Regarding migrants, in most of the surveys I've read virtually all undocumented workers intend to make enough money to build a better home, and then move back once they're comfortable. In reality, people get caught up on the other side of the border - temporary connections become permanent, children are born, etc. It's not as easy as it appears to be.
This is an accurate summary. Good insight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico