Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 03:32 PM

125 posts, read 244,926 times

Advertisements

YahooNews.com
Quote:
Mérida, Mexico – Bill [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]Engle[/color][/color] is outside, sweating in work clothes while he oversees renovations to his colonial house in Mérida, Mexico. It sits on a street dubbed "Gringo Gulch," a pretty row of baby blue, violet, and mustard facades where expatriates outnumber [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]Mexicans[/color][/color].
"It is not the climate," says Mr. Engle, explaining why he moved to the Yucatán Peninsula. "It is the people. It is the most welcoming place."
Americans scared off by [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]violence [COLOR=#366388 !important]in [/color][COLOR=#366388 !important]Mexico[/color][/color][/color]? Not here.
In towns far from the US border such as Mérida, Mexico's drug wars seem like another world. In fact, according to a recent survey by the International [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]Community [COLOR=#366388 !important]Foundation[/color][/color][/color], violence reduced the frequency or duration of trips to Mexico for only 7 percent of American retirees who live or travel frequently to Mexico.
No one knows how many foreign retirees, entrepreneurs, and families relocated to Mérida in recent years, but judging from real estate deals, new members to the English-language library, and observations by [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]locals[/color][/color], it is not a few – nor is it ebbing.
'As safe as Seattle'"I feel more part of a community here and safer or as safe here as I did in Seattle," says Martha [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]Lindley[/color][/color], a retired chaplain and lawyer who moved here three years ago.
It was certainly refreshing to read a positive story concerning life in Mexico. Expats are still moving to and remaining in Mexico, even as the drug cartels decimate parts of Mexico and threaten to bring the violence across the border to the US. Mexico certainly has more than its share of internal problems, but so does every other country on the face of the Earth!

Sorry about the embedded format commands in the blurb. Just go to the page link and read the complete story. Thanks!

Mexico drug war doesn't stop Americans from moving south of the border - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20100604/wl_csm/304758 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 06:08 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,190,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzernecntygent View Post
YahooNews.com

It was certainly refreshing to read a positive story concerning life in Mexico. Expats are still moving to and remaining in Mexico, even as the drug cartels decimate parts of Mexico and threaten to bring the violence across the border to the US. Mexico certainly has more than its share of internal problems, but so does every other country on the face of the Earth!

Sorry about the embedded format commands in the blurb. Just go to the page link and read the complete story. Thanks!

Mexico drug war doesn't stop Americans from moving south of the border - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20100604/wl_csm/304758 - broken link)
Loved all the positive quotes! YES, in our very little neighborhood 1/2 hour from Vallarta within the past year we've seen a number of lot sales. We presently have two houses under construction on lots purchased this year by Canadians. This is in a maybe, 12 lot subdivision! Those are pretty good percentages.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:29 PM

125 posts, read 244,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
Loved all the positive quotes! YES, in our very little neighborhood 1/2 hour from Vallarta within the past year we've seen a number of lot sales. We presently have two houses under construction on lots purchased this year by Canadians. This is in a maybe, 12 lot subdivision! Those are pretty good percentages.
My only negative though about the increase of expats and retirees in Mexico, is that the government of Mexico is somewhat unstable and has a history of "left turns" in its governmental history. I think that I might want to hang back with any significant financial investment in Mexican real estate. The Mexican government has expropriated person property in the past. IMO, I would be more comfortable renting property rather than investing in real estate property.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:25 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Investing money into real estate in Mexico is a turkey shoot. There will be good and bad misses (reference to location etc) and a persons particular needs and desires. Spend a little or spend a lot. it is all amatter of choice.

Yes...a person can rent if they choose or invest a small amount and live with the comfortable basics.

Thats what I did in Baja. I invested a total of $40K towards a vacant lot and house (1450 sq ft) I built. I'm 1/3 mile above the water and some $395,000 to $1.2 Mil houses in a gated area on the beach. They have the same view as me except they are theft bait while I'm amongst the locals and have no problems in the last 14 yrs here.

Granted...not everyones choice is the same...but it works for me.

Steve

Old 06-04-2010, 09:38 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,190,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzernecntygent View Post
My only negative though about the increase of expats and retirees in Mexico, is that the government of Mexico is somewhat unstable and has a history of "left turns" in its governmental history. I think that I might want to hang back with any significant financial investment in Mexican real estate. The Mexican government has expropriated person property in the past. IMO, I would be more comfortable renting property rather than investing in real estate property.
Until the Mexican government starts expropriating banks, those who own and have bank trusts should feel pretty safe with their investments. I have heard from many in the know that these [trust] banks protect and defend the trusts they hold ferociously. It is certainly in their and the Mexican government's best interests to protect those ex-pats who invest billions of dollars in the Mexican economy each year.

Clearly, however, there are areas that have been affected by unscupulous developers, sellers and/or their representatives. Waterfront props and those without trusts are probably the most vulnerable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico