Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 05:15 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,107,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLee1 View Post
Exactly, exactly, exactly. That's true. And well, also for the Lyric Theater and clubs and events.

-----

Problem I see with crime in Miami is that Miami is a touristic town, not just MB is touristic.

There are many visitors driving through the area and dangerous areas are adjoining commercial and good areas. Many visitors end up in Overtown, Liberty City or the Ghetto in Grove. Many visitors park their cars in malls near dangerous areas and their cars are vandalized, or they get scared stiff by the criminal appearance of punks.

The expressway cross very dangerous areas, and some exits end up in horrifying areas. Exits should have a Crime Rating, or a sign advertising the level of peril in several languages.

In Barcelona, they have signs saying "Beware Pickpockets", "Don't leave your personal objects unattended" in every hot spot frequented by visitors. They should do the same in Miami.

I used to walk though Overtown everyday during the day, the place was safe. I guess that the people that are killed are almost always related with drugs, the place was kind of a drug supermarket and I suppose that many want their piece of the pie. During the night, I remember that the place was frequented by youngsters searching for their nickelbags, ludes, cut coke, etc, and cops did not do a s.h.i.t.

Last edited by Manolón; 03-18-2011 at 05:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 07:34 AM

911 posts, read 1,713,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
During the night, I remember that the place was frequented by youngsters searching for their nickelbags, ludes, cut coke, etc, and cops did not do a s.h.i.t.
As someone who lives on the edge of a high crime area, what you say is 100% true. I've asked more that one cop why they let it slide and their answers seem remarkably consistent.

I won't go into the reasons they told me, but if I were you, I wouldn't expect a change.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 10,527 times
Overtown is not what people are making it seen like, it's not where u live it's how you live, and alot of our issues are parents need to start becoming parents and stop being their chld friend thats why we are loosing our children to the grave and to the jails, wake up everyone god is talking but theirs no one listening, and far as the police their just a human being with a dam uniform and a gun, it's a dam shame that we still have this black and white issue in this world let it go we all bleed red, and god loves all of us the same. Prayers change thing just be patient.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:01 PM

337 posts, read 968,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLee1 View Post
Miami is not as dangerous as people here and on the internet think it is and try to make it seem. It's a whole lot safer in every way than NYC, Chicago, LA and those cities that have HUGE Latin Kings, Bloods, Crips, GDs, MS13s, etc population and every gang that ever existed. I bet you guys have never heard of a gang called DDP, which stands for Dominicans Dont Play. Can be found easily in NYC, especially Washington Heights. All those gang cities and even their surrounding areas are 3045834 times more dangerous than Miami. I feel a whole bunch more safer here than in all those cities.
Actually nyc is somewhat safe. I know people who have lived in Chicago and they tell me it's very dangerous.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:48 PM

10 posts, read 63,739 times
Default ??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I'm sure Overtown is teh top or near the top. Anyone can tell that just by riding through it. Really, though, 14 murders seems kind of low. If that's the worst then you probably have a pretty good chance of not being murdered anywhere. How many people were killed in car accidents in Overtown last year? I bet its more than 14. In both cases though I bet the behavior of the people invlved had more to do with their deaths than random circumstances. For the murders it was probably behavior related to gangs and drugs. For the car accidents it was probably related to drinking and driving or phone-talking and driving.
Probably the really bad thing about living in Ovetwon is not the small chance of getting killed but the much higher chance of getting robbed, car jacked, and just the general low class of people you would have to interact with on a daily basis.
I can see your not from miami, 14 homicides in an area with a population of 10,000 is extremely high, its a tiny area just a few blocks u have no idea what you are talkin about let me break it down compton averages about 50-65 homicides with a population of 100,000 if you multiplie overtown times 10 to equal 100,000 then you would have 140 homicides, your just lookin at the numbers without paying attention to the amount of people , nyc has over 500 homicides a year but with 8 million people living there thats nothing now 14 for every 10,000 is high anywhere.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 9,201 times
Back in 1988, Overtown and Liberty City where right in the middle of a big riot, beacause of a killing of a young African American by the police. My father was working for a big airline so I used to fly free on the condition of wearing a formal suit, tie and shoes, and I use to carry a nice leather Samsonite briefcase with me all the time. Very often I would fly in to Miami in the morning and fly back to my country in the night. In one of these trips I took the Metrorail and got off in Overtown station to a catch a public bus to the airport, I was unaware of the riot since I lived out of the country. After an hour of waiting for the bus, and not knowing what was going on, I decided to walk to another bus line, and walked right in to the middel of Overtown, in the corner of 5th avenue and 7th street there was a gang of young guys who couldnt believe I was walking troug there hood, they were starting to steem up when a young girl who was sweeping her boardwalk, started to scream, "hey white boy, what are you doing here", several times, and then she told me to get out of there, I changed my course turnen right on 5th ave and back to I95 on 8th street, I thougth I was going to be beated up or something like that, but those guys just where to astonished that a white boy wearing a formal suit and a business briefcase would walk right throu there hood, that they didnt reacted against me, thanks to all the prayers I made to God, and the girl who told them to leave me alone.

When I was finally getting out of the hood I saw there where police barricades avoiding people to drive in to the hood, and when they saw me walking out of the hood they started shouting to me, If I was crazy or what. I had to show my passport, and explain I got off the Metrorail right in the middle of the hood, and there where no signs in the station warning about the situation.

After all I think those guys knew I was an innocent by stander and decided to let get out of the place unharmed.

Check the crossing of 5th avenue and 7th street on Google Earth Street View. My gang was conformed by at least 15 guys.

Old 05-28-2021, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,676 times
Sometime in the early 1980's I was working in Miami and had to visit a hospital for a minor issue. People directed me to Jackson Memorial. Just by what happened in the emergency department while I was there, I should have realized that I was not in a good area of town. While I was being treated, there was a commotion and it turned out to be two people that had shot each other being admitted by paramedics and police. When I finally was able to leave, I started walking back to my motel. It was night time and therefore dark outside. Sometime during my walk, a cab stopped and told me that I should not be walking by myself in that area. I told him I couldn't afford to take a cab, but he insisted on driving me for free back to my motel. All these almost 40 years later, I still think of this gentleman, thank God for him being so nice to me and looking after me and all he got was a simple thank-you from me. I hope karma paid you for your kindness, sir. I have never forgotten.

Old 05-28-2021, 04:25 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,690,015 times
(Actually I know and I aprove the revival for a Day of this Thread) ....

And who openned this Hornest's Nest after ALL is well and dandy down here ??

Old 11-03-2021, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 551 times
Default Its far more dangerous than New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
care to back that up with a source? Because a murder rate of 80-90 people per 100,000 means it has a murder rate that is double that of New Orleans which I find suspect!

People fail to realize that Miami-Dade has 34 municipalities in the county. Out of those 34 only 1of them releases amount of murders committed which is Miami-Dade police. That's not counting Opa-locka, Miami-Gardens, Florida City, etc. This is a tourist attraction so the public will never know the truth unless your from the inner city.

https://www.miamiherald.com/latest-n...210704434.html

Old 11-05-2021, 06:21 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,544 times
"Liberty City" sounds so patriotic; why would anyone want to avoid it? (LOL)

Its nice to provide numbers -well better than not providing them but their are methodological issues that need to be adjusted for.

For example a crime index compares the number of crimes per x amount of residents. Focus on Residents. This is not adjusted for tourists. Some places have many thousands of tourists running around every day and even at night. They are not always well-behaved. They skew the numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami