Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 07:37 AM

415 posts, read 649,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLee1 View Post
When I said Miami, I meant Dade County. So, true and true.
And yeah, a few people don't like the hot, but like I said, they are the MINORITY.
Some people in Dade County are out of work, and same with Broward and Palm Beach.
The unemployment rate in Dade County is 11.3%. That about 150,000 people out of work, and that only the people who are actually looking. There are more who have been unemployed for more than 99 weeks and they aren't even looking for jobs.

They unemployment situation is slowly getting better but there are a lot of people hurting. Now granted the majority of these people are uneducated and unskilled and the unemployment rate among college grads is at normal levels around 5%.

But this is what I'm talking about with you. Miami is obviously a better place than what most of the disgruntle people here make it out to be. But when you say ridiculous things like "everybody loves Miami" and "It's never to hot, it's always perfect" you sound just as ridiculous as them, only you are arguing at the other extreme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 07:42 AM

470 posts, read 1,193,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer1000 View Post
The unemployment rate in Dade County is 11.3%. That about 150,000 people out of work, and that only the people who are actually looking. There are more who have been unemployed for more than 99 weeks and they aren't even looking for jobs.

They unemployment situation is slowly getting better but there are a lot of people hurting. Now granted the majority of these people are uneducated and unskilled and the unemployment rate among college grads is at normal levels around 5%.

But this is what I'm talking about with you. Miami is obviously a better place than what most of the disgruntle people here make it out to be. But when you say ridiculous things like "everybody loves Miami" and "It's never to hot, it's always perfect" you sound just as ridiculous as them, only you are arguing at the other extreme.
"Everyone loves Miami" as in the majority do. "It's never too hot, it's perfect" is again how it is for the majority. That's why I posted that. I didn't mean that literally everyone loves Miami or anything like that.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:03 AM

415 posts, read 649,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLee1 View Post
"Everyone loves Miami" as in the majority do. "It's never too hot, it's perfect" is again how it is for the majority. That's why I posted that. I didn't mean that literally everyone loves Miami or anything like that.
That's why I'm saying you need to change what you write if you want to be taken seriously.

If you are arguing ***MOD CUT*** who is saying that "Everyone hates Miami" and you respond that "Everyone loves Miami" you don't see how that is going to make you sound just as idiotic as that person but only on the other side of the fence?

That's why everyone here keeps attacking you and saying you work for the tourism department. Slow down for 5 seconds and write what you really mean. "Most people here like Miami".

And by the way I agree. If you look at the population, domestic immigration and emigration most people are choosing to stay. The largest factor that pushed people out of the area was the unaffordable housing prices during the housing bubble. Now that housing prices have come back down I expect we'll see a lot more domestic immigration again.

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-22-2010 at 09:56 AM..

Old 06-16-2010, 08:10 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,318,831 times
You see the ultra negative, you see the ultra positive. That really means the city is some place in the middle, IMO.

Are there bad parts to it? Yes. Are there good parts? Yes.

I think the experience is all what you make of it. There is plenty to see and do in the Miami area; you'll never get bored.

Unlike Orlando, there is some mass transit.

Miami is the only city in the continental US where you can get a (sub) tropical climate and also have a large city that is becoming better every day.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:06 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,486,328 times
Mia is the best city in USA & one of the top-10 cities in the world...

However,it is good news that so many don't like it,because they will leave the city to us who like it...

Old 06-16-2010, 11:30 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,209,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
I wouldn't say Miami's drawbacks don't exist in Orlando as well. So probably wouldn't be a big change of pace for you.
Makes sense. Orlando is really safer now than in recent years. And I have heard GREAT things about Dade but people on here seem to make it seem like it is so bad. I'm young still so I do take that into consideration when moving.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:56 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,448,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Is Miami Really As Bad as people make it? I'm strictly talking about living. I mean, I'm looking into relocating from orlando (Destination Unknown) but Miami was a candidate but geesh really? Is is not enough money, jobs, people just mad? Too hot ? or do people over react about living down there? Not Broward, or West Palm, as I am familiar with the two but I mean MIAMI-Dade? How is it really?
Everyone here on this forum is different and because we are all different, we will have different perspectives about Miami-Dade County. Someone who is 25 years old will have a different view on Miami than someone in their 50s or 60s, so for these types of questions the best way to get the right answer is to visit for yourself to decide if Miami is right for you. Remember that for some Miami is perfect, just as for some, Miami is not perfect. You need to decide.

I will say this, from my experience good and bad, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck it's probably a duck. So take a week off to come and visit Miami and drive around. Try to remember that living in Miami is different than visiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami