Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 06:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,684 times

Advertisements

It's been a goal of mine 2 move 2 Miami, Florida. My family is totally against it because of the high crime rate! Is there anything wrong w/ wanting 2 be in the middle of all the action? Is Miami as nice as it seems? Could I really live on south beach & not be affected by the crime in north Miami ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 07:07 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,155,314 times
You've posted this thread in the wrong place. I'll move it to the Miami forum for you.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:18 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,318,831 times
You shouldn't have much fear about living in South Beach and high crime.

Crime is usually concentrated to certain areas. You will probably see some homeless people, but you're not going to have to get bars put on your window and sleep with a rifle across your lap.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:55 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,342 times
Don't buy drugs, don't deal drugs, don't join a gang, and don't walk alone at night flashing anything expensive and you will be fine. I am FAR from a Miami cheerleader like some on this forum and even I don't think crime is a big problem.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:20 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavaughn93 View Post
It's been a goal of mine 2 move 2 Miami, Florida. My family is totally against it because of the high crime rate! Is there anything wrong w/ wanting 2 be in the middle of all the action? Is Miami as nice as it seems? Could I really live on south beach & not be affected by the crime in north Miami ?
Well where are you coming from? Any urban area is going to have more crime than a non-urban area. That is just how things are.

It will depend on where you work and where you live. I would say that as a total outsider to Miami, if you see a place for rent that is less than $800/mo for a single occupancy, then the are might be sketchy (there are exceptions...but it is a good rule to go by). If you find a roomate, you will be able to live in a much nicer area than you could on your own.

My neighborhood (North Miami Beach) is not the greatest, but between going to work and visiting friends, I am not really in my neighborhood so much (I am not married, no kids). I have walked around at night on my own (and I am a young adult female). But you do hear of things happening; but not often enough to live in constant fear.

In my opinion, Miami's crime problem is not so much with violent crime; but with the more 'annoying' crimes such as vandalism and theft. I'm sorry, but I know of people who lived in all areas of Miami whose vehicles were broken into. One of my favorite hangouts is Churchills, in Lemon City....a 'bad' area...but the worst thing I had to deal with over there is a homeless man who decided to 'go' by my car.

Miami is not as dangerous as L.A., Chicago or NYC. You didn't say why you wanted to move to Miami. You have to see if the benefits are greater than the costs.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:19 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,189,197 times
MissShona is exactly correct.

Safety is not an absolute Yes or No thing. The question is, will you be safer than where you are, or less safe? And that depends on where you're coming from.

Crime is not the only safety issue. You're probably more likely to be hurt in a traffic accident than by any other means in Miami. Some pretty bad drivers. But again it's all relative to where you're moving from.

And other factors must be considered, everything from weather to culture to your job situation.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:13 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,231 times
I am not a big Miami fan, but moving to Miami is the same as moving to any urban area in the country.

Do your research online and contact the chamber of commerce or police department if you have questions about neighborhoods that interest you-------you can obtain crime stats for various areas of the city.

Miamis crime rate is fairly high-----there is no disputing that. Crime rates are higher in some dangerous areas. Identify those areas and try to pick out a location in a safer neighborhood.

I dont care for Miami but I will not bash it totally as there are some nice areas to reside.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:49 PM

389 posts, read 776,557 times
I've been through Miami a few times, & I don't personally like it. Still, it ain't comparable to a city with nothin' but crime. Sure, the crime rates are a little bit up there, but as long as you have protection (gun in purse, pocket knife, or @ least pepperspray,) & don't walk by yourself @ night, it's ok. I always advise women to carry 'round a gun/pocket knife (registered & legal course,) but that's anywhere. Hell, I sleep with a pistil in my hand sometimes. Another thing you might wanna look out for when goin' to Miami (a little off topic) is hurricanes. If ya don't like 'em, stay away from there.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:34 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,448,766 times
Miami is a big city and crime happens, just a fact of life. If you use common since, like not wearing flashy jewelry, or walking down certain streets late a night by yourself, not leaving things in your car, and you lock your doors and windows. You should be fine, with that said you just have to be aware of your surrounds at all times.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:42 AM

415 posts, read 649,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelwoman View Post
I've been through Miami a few times, & I don't personally like it. Still, it ain't comparable to a city with nothin' but crime. Sure, the crime rates are a little bit up there, but as long as you have protection (gun in purse, pocket knife, or @ least pepperspray,) & don't walk by yourself @ night, it's ok. I always advise women to carry 'round a gun/pocket knife (registered & legal course,) but that's anywhere. Hell, I sleep with a pistil in my hand sometimes. Another thing you might wanna look out for when goin' to Miami (a little off topic) is hurricanes. If ya don't like 'em, stay away from there.

This forum is hilarious. I think you'll be alright in Miami even if you don't walk around or sleep with a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami