Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 09:00 AM

640 posts, read 1,289,843 times

Advertisements

I was just noticing that most people that leave the north to come the south take a paycut. Do you ever think the florida wages will catch up the northeast states?? Congrats to Miami for getting Lebron!!!! Weather makes up for the money right!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 09:37 AM

326 posts, read 1,166,174 times
He came here because this team gives him the opportunity to do something that not no big city or media market could guarantee. Thats a champioship ring in which all players are already willing to make sacrifices. Can you buy happiness and good health with money in the North?

Old 07-09-2010, 09:44 AM

346 posts, read 1,336,893 times
He does save a lot of money by coming to FL with no state income tax. If he went to NY, he'd have to pay approximately $13 million dollars in income tax for his overall contract. He'll take less income from the Heat, but will make up for the difference and more from endorsements. He'll save a ton of money by not paying state tax on the endorsement money too.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:57 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,375,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk22 View Post
He does save a lot of money by coming to FL with no state income tax. If he went to NY, he'd have to pay approximately $13 million dollars in income tax for his overall contract. He'll take less income from the Heat, but will make up for the difference and more from endorsements. He'll save a ton of money by not paying state tax on the endorsement money too.
Great post! I bet we will find that besides wanting to win a championship that taxes played a portion of the roll in making his decision.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:08 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,722,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofykid View Post
He came here because this team gives him the opportunity to do something that not no big city or media market could guarantee. Thats a champioship ring in which all players are already willing to make sacrifices. Can you buy happiness and good health with money in the North?
Most rich people seem happy and can afford the best care in the world. Just saying.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:31 AM

389 posts, read 1,078,597 times
He took a pay cut only becaue of the salary cap and because the Heat already had Wade and Bosh. Has nothing to do with earning less down south. If the same 3 players would have gone to the Knicks, they would have had to take the same salary cut.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:51 AM

470 posts, read 1,189,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboUSMC17 View Post
He took a pay cut only becaue of the salary cap and because the Heat already had Wade and Bosh. Has nothing to do with earning less down south. If the same 3 players would have gone to the Knicks, they would have had to take the same salary cut.
***MOD CUT***

And just for the record, yeah, you make less in the south than certain parts in the north but everything costs less in the south and no state tax which balances everything greatly and you actually make more in most occasions.

***MOD CUT*** You can post actually negatives about Miami just like every city, even suburban cities have, but to make things up and exaggerate everything, and just throw out things without actually knowing is ridiculous and ver sad actually.

Miami is extremely young, and extremely younger than most cities and even younger than the best cities in the country and it's already in the top five for everything. What does that tell you? It has already surpassed most cities in everything in it's extremely young life. What does that tell you?

Last edited by doggiebus; 07-09-2010 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: Flaming

Old 07-09-2010, 12:26 PM

389 posts, read 1,078,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLee1 View Post
***MOD CUT***

And just for the record, yeah, you make less in the south than certain parts in the north but everything costs less in the south and no state tax which balances everything greatly and you actually make more in most occasions.

***MOD CUT*** You can post actually negatives about Miami just like every city, even suburban cities have, but to make things up and exaggerate everything, and just throw out things without actually knowing is ridiculous and ver sad actually.

Miami is extremely young, and extremely younger than most cities and even younger than the best cities in the country and it's already in the top five for everything. What does that tell you? It has already surpassed most cities in everything in it's extremely young life. What does that tell you?

Did you understand my post?? It seems as if you think I'm putting down Miami. I live and work in Miami so there seems to be a misunderstanding there buddy. I'm dying to see what it is the Mod had to cut. lol

But then I guess I need to break it down so that everyone can understand. Regardless of what team the big 3 would have gone with, in order for any team to sign all 3, they'd all have to take a pay cut in order for that team to avoid going over thier salary cap. It has nothing to do with what area pays more or anything like that.

Now after my original post above, I was going to add the fact that we do not pay state tax and things are generally cheaper here than up north so it offsets the difference and at times making it more profitable to live here. But other posters had mentioned similar things in posts before mine on this thread so I didn't feel the need to repeat what they said.

But I guess a short response is not enough for some people. I have to break it down Barney style.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:38 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,513,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
I was just noticing that most people that leave the north to come the south take a paycut. Do you ever think the florida wages will catch up the northeast states?? Congrats to Miami for getting Lebron!!!! Weather makes up for the money right!!
Not really a fair analogy since Lebron is a very wealthy multi millionaire who left a $31 million dollar deal in Cleveland to play on a team with his friends Wade & Bosh. It's obvious at this point that his decision to come to Miami was not based on money but to win a NBA Championship. He has the luxury to choose where most people do not.
NBA wages & those wages for those in the Northeast or Florida is like comparing apples to oranges.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:05 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,228,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
Maybe he's taking a pay cut from the Heat, but he'll make a lot more money for endorsements in Miami than Cleveland. In fact, some athletes make more money from Nike, Reebok, Sony, and other big corporations than the salary they make from their teams. So overall, doubt if he's losing money in the deal. I'm happy for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami