Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 10:27 PM

119 posts, read 247,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your.Decision View Post
Miami is not a friendly city. Its unfriendliness doesn't compare to NY or Chicago though. NY is huge and fast paced and people genuinely don't have time to be friendly (it's a big city). Miami is a different animal. People here aren't necessarily flat out rude, but the lack of manners, respect and consideration for others (especially on the road) van frustrate the crap out of you, along with the fact that people are very fake and stick to their established circles of friends.

Diverse? I do not consider Miami to be as diverse as NY. Miami is predominantly Latin (South and Central America) and Caribbean in terms of prevailing culture. Although Miami Beach is diverse, the rest of Miami-Dade really is not.

Miami is basically great if you are selfish, or simply want to live in a city where you are under no moral obligation to care about others or your community as a whole. Miami seems to attract such people, regardless of race. If you get off on 'laissez-faire' living and driving, Miami may just be for you.

I'll break it down like this: in New York, people are often rude (or let's call it impersonal) because they have to be. In Miami, people are rude because they want to be and they can get away with it. In Miami (as a man), it's all about owning the biggest set of b**s and asserting yourself, or get walked all over.
Couldn't have said it any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 10:23 AM

420 posts, read 802,283 times
Quote:
Miami is not a friendly city. Its unfriendliness doesn't compare to NY or Chicago though. NY is huge and fast paced and people genuinely don't have time to be friendly (it's a big city). Miami is a different animal. People here aren't necessarily flat out rude, but the lack of manners, respect and consideration for others (especially on the road) van frustrate the crap out of you, along with the fact that people are very fake and stick to their established circles of friends.

Diverse? I do not consider Miami to be as diverse as NY. Miami is predominantly Latin (South and Central America) and Caribbean in terms of prevailing culture. Although Miami Beach is diverse, the rest of Miami-Dade really is not.

Miami is basically great if you are selfish, or simply want to live in a city where you are under no moral obligation to care about others or your community as a whole. Miami seems to attract such people, regardless of race. If you get off on 'laissez-faire' living and driving, Miami may just be for you.

I'll break it down like this: in New York, people are often rude (or let's call it impersonal) because they have to be. In Miami, people are rude because they want to be and they can get away with it. In Miami (as a man), it's all about owning the biggest set of b**s and asserting yourself, or get walked all over.
Excellent post. In NYC people come off as rude or cold because most people have an outer shell there- break through that shell and you'll find out that most people in NYC are nice and do care for the "greater good." And people in Chicago are extremely nice and friendly- by far the nicest big city I've ever been to.

Back to Miami: people are incredibly rude and self-centered. And the driving can be flat-out dangerous. I can't tell you how many times I had to slam on my brakes while going 70-80 on the highway in/around the city because I was suddenly cut-off. To make things worse, there is a humongous illigal immigrant population in Miami who for the most part drive like maniacs. And if you happen to be hit by one of these illegals you are screwed since most of them don't have insurance.

All in all I like Miami. But the people are not nice.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:39 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,090,060 times
USA

Journalism in Miami is all about Miami herald.

Miami Herald is clanish as hell and perhaps one of the most oxymoronic papers in the world.

Miami Herald is a paper hated by Cubans and many Latins because they are kind of Liberal-Hippyish-Jewish-Anticuban. They pretended during decades that Cubans did not exist, but their backlash forced them to set a section in Spanish (the only high-quality paper in Spanish in the US).

As to their section in English, just for retards. They have token writers for Jews, plant lovers, some of their column writers have the intellect of a cuckroach, other are so schamltzy in their P.C. that makes them disgusting.

As to the other papers, I think that Miami News still exist, mostly Liberal Jewish, etc.

Diario de las Americas, in Spanish.

That's about it....

Anyways, no way you will ever write without political or family connections.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:20 AM

16 posts, read 37,443 times
I have lived in NY (Bronx/New Rochelle) for a year after three years in South Beach/Coconut Grove. My opinion is this:

In NY they have to be hard (because of the shell they use for protection). In any situation where I have interacted with the same person more than once I am greeted in a manner that resembles civility. I believe that the shell is used because it is a very difficult place to live.

In Miami people are hard because they enjoy it.

I know this may sound s bit simple and I know that my experiances do not represent the entire population of either Miami or NY.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:15 AM

242 posts, read 313,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10second View Post
I have lived in NY (Bronx/New Rochelle) for a year after three years in South Beach/Coconut Grove. My opinion is this:

In NY they have to be hard (because of the shell they use for protection). In any situation where I have interacted with the same person more than once I am greeted in a manner that resembles civility. I believe that the shell is used because it is a very difficult place to live. It's also hard not to take it personally, especially as there's simply no excuse for it.

In Miami people are hard because they enjoy it.

I know this may sound s bit simple and I know that my experiances do not represent the entire population of either Miami or NY.
You're quite correct. Brings me back to my original point that many people in Miami are rude and obnoxious because they choose to be; law of the jungle, biggest set of b**ls, etc. Some people thrive on it or they thrive on constant drama and confrontation. Many people here quite blatantly obviously get off on being rude and driving like a maniac. They think that nobody can touch them, in some cases, not even the law. Such arrogance and machoism probably wouldn't fly elsewhere in the US, but it's the norm here and ingrained in daily life.

Personally, it's not for me.

Miami person: "I'll drive how I want, f**k over who I want, have my music as loud as I want and I'll be rude and in your face if I want. In other words, respect me: the ultimate alpha male. If you don't like it bro, there must be something wrong with you and take I-95 north and leave!" (beats chest repeatedly)

Last edited by Your.Decision; 07-12-2010 at 10:23 AM..

Old 07-12-2010, 04:11 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,153,906 times
[quote=Your.Decision;15003081]You're quite correct. Brings me back to my original point that many people in Miami are rude and obnoxious because they choose to be; law of the jungle, biggest set of b**ls, etc. Some people thrive on it or they thrive on constant drama and confrontation. Many people here quite blatantly obviously get off on being rude and driving like a maniac. They think that nobody can touch them, in some cases, not even the law. Such arrogance and machoism probably wouldn't fly elsewhere in the US, but it's the norm here and ingrained in daily life.

Miami person: "I'll drive how I want, f**k over who I want, have my music as loud as I want and I'll be rude and in your face if I want. In other words, respect me: the ultimate alpha male. If you don't like it bro, there must be something wrong with you and take I-95 north and leave!" (beats chest repeatedly)[/quote]

Whats wrong with that? If you don't like it....leave, this is a free country, quit complaining so much.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:51 PM

242 posts, read 313,555 times
[quote=clean_polo;15008620]
Quote:
You're quite correct. Brings me back to my original point that many people in Miami are rude and obnoxious because they choose to be; law of the jungle, biggest set of b**ls, etc. Some people thrive on it or they thrive on constant drama and confrontation. Many people here quite blatantly obviously get off on being rude and driving like a maniac. They think that nobody can touch them, in some cases, not even the law. Such arrogance and machoism probably wouldn't fly elsewhere in the US, but it's the norm here and ingrained in daily life.

Miami person: "I'll drive how I want, f**k over who I want, have my music as loud as I want and I'll be rude and in your face if I want. In other words, respect me: the ultimate alpha male. If you don't like it bro, there must be something wrong with you and take I-95 north and leave!" (beats chest repeatedly)[/quote]

Whats wrong with that? If you don't like it....leave, this is a free country, quit complaining so much.
....not that I need to answer to you, but it's all related to the thread (comparing people's lack of friendliness in Miami with NY and Chi town). You don't like to hear the truth? The fact that you are basically questioning what's wrong with acting like a complete and utter a-hole says a lot really

Old 07-12-2010, 05:16 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,367,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
USA

Miami Herald is clanish as hell and perhaps one of the most oxymoronic papers in the world.

Miami Herald is a paper hated by Cubans and many Latins because they are kind of Liberal-Hippyish-Jewish-Anticuban. They pretended during decades that Cubans did not exist, but their backlash forced them to set a section in Spanish (the only high-quality paper in Spanish in the US).

As to their section in English, just for retards. They have token writers for Jews, plant lovers, some of their column writers have the intellect of a cuckroach, other are so schamltzy in their P.C. that makes them disgusting.

As to the other papers, I think that Miami News still exist, mostly Liberal Jewish, etc.

That's about it....

Err, El Nuevo Herald is a whole different paper in itself. There is no "Spanish section" in the Miami Herald.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:42 PM

470 posts, read 1,189,425 times
Wow, all those posts are quite bullsh*t. I remember in another thread people were saying that being in a rush, or having some place to be or somewhere to go or any of those things waere not an excuse for what some people (some people here) consider "rude," than all you say NYers are rude and all this and all that because *enter any of the excuses here* and you just finished saying in another thread that none of those are reasons for anyone to be rude even in major cities and than here you put that that's why NYers and rude and it's ok . People are just so biased here, it's a shame (and that's nothing that can be deleted). So it's ok for NYers to be because of that but it's not ok for Miamians to be rude for those same reasons and to clarify, Miamians are a 1000 times nicer and friendlier than NYers, even Miami's worst is better than NY's best. IT'S A FACT. Even people from NJ here are sayig this and agree with this. Stop trying to make things up and exaggerate things just to try to make Miami look bad. I have met under 10 "rude" people here in Miami, and in NY that number would be multiplied by 10 in just ONE hour, and those are REAL rude situations and REAL a$$holes. People here in Miami for the most part are nice, in normal standards they are at least nice, compared to NYers and other places where people are actually rude and MOST of them are rude, they are very nice.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:44 PM

470 posts, read 1,189,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Err, El Nuevo Herald is a whole different paper in itself. There is no "Spanish section" in the Miami Herald.
Exactly. People here claim to know all these things and to actually live here and this and that and claim that Miami is all this and that and they don't even live here.

Speaking on El Nuevo Herald. I wonder if there will ever be a Creole language newspaper? hmmm

EDIT: Also I want to add this

Journalism in Miami is not all just about the Miami Herald. We have a whole bunch of newspapers that serve the entire Miami area and newspapers, magazines and such that just serve a specific area like Biscayne Bay Tribune and Coral Gables Tribune and we even have newspapers and magazines for colleges and universities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
USA

That's about it....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami