Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 02:00 AM

4,836 posts, read 11,949,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
I've lived in Homestead for over 10 years and have yet to "figure" out what the loud, RUMBLING noises that make everything in your house shake is!! I live 2 minutes from the Homestead Air Force Base and I can tell you what it's not...a fighter jet, commercial plane, private jet, helicopter.

On one occasion I can tell you about, heading North on 137th Ave turning onto 288th street, my son said to me: " Mommy look! What is that?" As I was driving I said to him: "Baby, mommy can't look right now, I need to keep my eyes on the road". My son, " But mommy, what is that?" (he was 9 at the time). I then put my turning signal on and immediately pulled to the side of the road and looked towards the direction my child was exclaiming about.

Okay, all I could do was sit there in awe of what I was seeing! If anyone know 288 street like I do, they would know that the "base" is located right there and takes up a very large area right next to the Homestead Job Corps Center. Yes, the loud, RUMBLING noise was very present at the time. Hovering directly above the AFB was a grayish, metal HUGE disk! Let me say this so you can just throw that thought out of you minds right now...... I am of sound mind and have all my wits about me! I had no clue to what we were seeing at the time,, NONE!

Sitting there for what seem about 3 or 4 minutes, this "thing" for lack of a better word just hovered in the air and suddenly began rising up, up, up, and then ""ZOOM""!! Just shot off up and out of the distance in a split second!! All I did was turn to my boy and said wow!! I had no explanation for my child. To this day I'm not sure what is was, what it is.....though we hear this same RUMBLING noise that shakes our house something awful time and time again. We tend to hear this noise around about 2:00 AM -4:00 AM. I note the times because if my little ones happen to hear it in their sleep, they come running and screaming to my room and jumps in my bed! It's an awful sound, like none other.

I hear the different sound passing over the house on a daily basis. I can identify each craft by the type of noise they make. I know the usual sound of the fighter jets, we often go and watch the shows that are performed here. I know the sound of helicopters and commercial planes that regularly fly over. But let me tell you something, when you hear this loud, RUMBLING, house shaking, awful sound, it is one you will NOT soon forget!
Now thats a funny story.

Anyway the noise is probably fighter jets. Fighter jets are very loud and sometimes they will even break the sound barried creating a sonic boom.

Oh it could be the compressors at turkey point. One of those two sounds right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 02:31 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,855,587 times
its prob an f-18 or 22 .

Old 09-28-2010, 08:29 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,407,096 times
Again...I regularly attend the air shows and I can assure you...it's none of the above. I think I already said that......

Old 09-29-2010, 11:37 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,461,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Again...I regularly attend the air shows and I can assure you...it's none of the above. I think I already said that......
Well...it's a UFO spaceship then .

Old 10-01-2010, 12:11 AM

810 posts, read 1,571,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
Well...it's a UFO spaceship then .
well I have footage, let's see if you believe us now

I taped the following in homestead close to the airforce base:

YouTube - Bunny Abduction

Old 10-02-2010, 05:13 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,012,643 times
They are probably blasting for new construction areas. Happened a lot in West Miramar for a while.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:51 PM

17 posts, read 52,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoMiami View Post
Can someone please tell me about this loud noise. The noise sound like an earthquake. I've heard this noise 3 times and been living in Homestead for 10 months.
used to be huge scoop shovels taking soft limestone for rail car shipping in the old days, sometimes it was canal cutting trenches in that limestone foe cross-county drainage, and sometimes they used blasting of soft quarry limestone-although it used to cause cracks in the plaster-and the courts made them stop. The sounds shaking that you mention is a plate of porous harmonic soft limestone, that can resonate loudly-and yes-even mach speed jets can tremble the ground rock-it is like a lattice chime of bass resonance. ON CERTAIN HAZY AND CLOUD-DREARY DAYS, YOU CAN ALSO GET CLOUD-BOUNCE AMPLIFICATION-AND THUNDER ROLLS LIKE CANNON FIRE IN THOSE CONDITIONS. HOMESTEAD HAS PROLIFIC AND DANGEROUS LIGHTNING DISPLAYS-EQUAL ONLY TO TORNADOES PUTTING OUT BOLTS. THE STORMS BLOW IN OFF THE TIP OF THE MAINLAND-AND ROLL RIGHT IN-WELCOME TO THE NEIGHBORHOOD,AMIGO!

Old 11-05-2010, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 6,709 times
Im hearing the same thing right now. My friend works at Turkey Point so Ill ask him if its coming from there. Its really strange though, that such a loud noise coming from Turkey Point can be heard from my house in Palmetto Bay.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:54 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,031,850 times
It's the fighter jets

wings over Homestead is this weekend They have been practicing more this week. I was there yesterday and the noise level was very high

I also got to see the fighter jets doing those aerobatics yersrerday and it was pretty nice. I won't miss it this weekend.

Last edited by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥; 11-05-2010 at 01:04 PM..

Old 11-05-2010, 01:04 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,408,267 times
i heard they have an air show this weekend. My friend lives by homestead speedway and has been hearing a lot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami