U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-15-2010, 04:32 PM

Location: Downtown Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill,Homestead for now
512 posts, read 518,467 times

Advertisements

Can someone please tell me about this loud noise. The noise sound like an earthquake. I've heard this noise 3 times and been living in Homestead for 10 months.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 04:45 PM

2,743 posts, read 5,718,312 times
I think it has something to do with Turkey Point and they are releasing compressed air or water vapor from reactors...it is "normal" otherwise you would hear a warning siren if something wen really wrong...

Old 07-15-2010, 06:39 PM

4,741 posts, read 4,806,023 times
My house shakes very often

do you live in a rowhome?

Old 07-16-2010, 10:16 AM

3 posts, read 8,093 times
What you are hearing are the fighter jets from the air base.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:52 PM

But I live in Kendall

Old 07-16-2010, 08:29 PM

119 posts, read 49,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
But I live in Kendall
But you are not the OP.

And yes, it's probably just the fighter jets from Homestead Joint Air Reserve Base, they do all kinds of training down there. Occasionally they even have some F/A-22's there too.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:38 PM

op?

Old 07-17-2010, 12:26 AM
r_k

757 posts, read 985,949 times
OP = Original Poster (i.e.person who started the thread)

Old 07-17-2010, 05:49 PM

Location: Downtown Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill,Homestead for now
512 posts, read 518,467 times
Yes it is a TH. Thank you and i thought it was an earthquake ;-)

Old 08-14-2010, 10:10 PM

4,273 posts, read 3,653,932 times
I've lived in Homestead for over 10 years and have yet to "figure" out what the loud, RUMBLING noises that make everything in your house shake is!! I live 2 minutes from the Homestead Air Force Base and I can tell you what it's not...a fighter jet, commercial plane, private jet, helicopter.

On one occasion I can tell you about, heading North on 137th Ave turning onto 288th street, my son said to me: " Mommy look! What is that?" As I was driving I said to him: "Baby, mommy can't look right now, I need to keep my eyes on the road". My son, " But mommy, what is that?" (he was 9 at the time). I then put my turning signal on and immediately pulled to the side of the road and looked towards the direction my child was exclaiming about.

Okay, all I could do was sit there in awe of what I was seeing! If anyone know 288 street like I do, they would know that the "base" is located right there and takes up a very large area right next to the Homestead Job Corps Center. Yes, the loud, RUMBLING noise was very present at the time. Hovering directly above the AFB was a grayish, metal HUGE disk! Let me say this so you can just throw that thought out of you minds right now...... I am of sound mind and have all my wits about me! I had no clue to what we were seeing at the time,, NONE!

Sitting there for what seem about 3 or 4 minutes, this "thing" for lack of a better word just hovered in the air and suddenly began rising up, up, up, and then ""ZOOM""!! Just shot off up and out of the distance in a split second!! All I did was turn to my boy and said wow!! I had no explanation for my child. To this day I'm not sure what is was, what it is.....though we hear this same RUMBLING noise that shakes our house something awful time and time again. We tend to hear this noise around about 2:00 AM -4:00 AM. I note the times because if my little ones happen to hear it in their sleep, they come running and screaming to my room and jumps in my bed! It's an awful sound, like none other.

I hear the different sound passing over the house on a daily basis. I can identify each craft by the type of noise they make. I know the usual sound of the fighter jets, we often go and watch the shows that are performed here. I know the sound of helicopters and commercial planes that regularly fly over. But let me tell you something, when you hear this loud, RUMBLING, house shaking, awful sound, it is one you will NOT soon forget!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami