U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-24-2010, 06:56 PM
 
Location: QUEENS
447 posts, read 796,427 times
Reputation: 116
Default Is Miami an expensive place to live?

I moving from NY to somewhere. I was born and raised in NY and am leaving because of the high cost of living. Just wondering if Miami is any better.
I am also considering Chicago. How does Miami compare to Chicago in terms of COL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2010, 07:23 PM
r_k
 
Location: Planet Earth
736 posts, read 881,403 times
Reputation: 320
Miami is cheaper than NYC, maybe closer to Chicago, but on average wages are also lower than those places, so in relation to the average wage it is expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2010, 10:03 PM
 
Location: America
6,651 posts, read 10,063,354 times
Reputation: 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
I moving from NY to somewhere. I was born and raised in NY and am leaving because of the high cost of living. Just wondering if Miami is any better.
I am also considering Chicago. How does Miami compare to Chicago in terms of COL?
im from brooklyn. is miami cheaper than new york? umm nope. people who say it is cheaper are not from the city. If your interested i can give you a numbers break down. Also on top of being a high cost of living the pay sucks on average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Status: "Can't wait till its December." (set 9 hours ago)
 
6,303 posts, read 12,124,982 times
Reputation: 2364
My sister lived in Miami and Manhattan, she said the cost of living is about equal overall once you factor in everything for each place. Miami can be cheaper if you give up a few things like a car, but a car in Miami is pretty much a must have to get around easily.
__________________
There's no right answer or wrong answers, there's only popular opinion.
Please take a moment to read the Terms of Service
Florida, Miami, Hurricane Forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 01:01 AM
 
1,863 posts, read 2,780,832 times
Reputation: 723
It's more expensive in terms of housing (though not at the NYC/California levels) and above-average in gas. Food prices don't seem to be more expensive than other places though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 02:08 PM
 
Location: QUEENS
447 posts, read 796,427 times
Reputation: 116
In terms of housing its more expensive?
So you have to $1800 for a decent 1 bedroom apartment?
I doubt its more expensive. Ive seen homes for sale in Miami for $40,000. You will never find that in NY, even in a crappy area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Coconut Grove, Miami
470 posts, read 635,491 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
In terms of housing its more expensive?
So you have to $1800 for a decent 1 bedroom apartment?
I doubt its more expensive. Ive seen homes for sale in Miami for $40,000. You will never find that in NY, even in a crappy area.
***MOD CUT*** If you say NYC or any northeast cities, a lot of cities in California. or a lot of other cities for that matter, are cheaper than Miami, well you are dead wrong and don't know what you are talking about. Everything in Miami is cheaper than those places. You get paid more in some of those cities and well that's obvious because everything is more expensive, but even after you average everything out Miami is still cheaper even with a car. And if you add a car in NYC, forget about it.

Last edited by doggiebus; 07-25-2010 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: Flaming - Just answer the Ops question without flaming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 10:30 PM
 
Location: Miami Beach, FL
1,877 posts, read 1,503,858 times
Reputation: 619
OP: When you say NY, do you mean just Manhattan, or do you include far out in Queens or Staten Island or Bronx? When you say Miami, do you mean just downtown/brickell and South Beach, or greater Miami/Fort Laurderdale?

My perception is that downtown/South Beach is similar COL as the outer buroughs and far uptown parts of NYC, but if you include other areas of greater Miami/Fort Laurderdale, Miami would still be cheaper, even with the car, hands down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 10:49 PM
 
Location: McKeesport, PA
2,241 posts, read 4,380,251 times
Reputation: 1205
The cost of living is not outrageous in Miami; especially when you compare it to cities in California, New York or even Washington, D.C. However salaries and pay tend to be lower than the cost of living calls for. In my humble opinion, this is because Miami has a lot of immigrants who just don't know any better in regards to what a particular profession SHOULD be making (i.e. bus drivers, police officers, teachers, etc.). Or maybe it is just a southern thing...who knows.

If you are able to snag a job with a decent livable wage (so in my opinion $50K is livable...as a single person or couple w/no kids, living modestly) you should have no problem getting by. You could not say this is you lived in many places. Just don't get caught up in 'Miami hype' and start living a lifestyle you can't support. Driving that Mercedes and snagging that beachfront condo is what has a lot of Miami residents hurting and one step away from the poor house. Truth is, if people lived within their means; they would be a lot better off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 11:54 PM
 
Location: America
6,651 posts, read 10,063,354 times
Reputation: 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
My sister lived in Miami and Manhattan, she said the cost of living is about equal overall once you factor in everything for each place. Miami can be cheaper if you give up a few things like a car, but a car in Miami is pretty much a must have to get around easily.
this is exactly it. To be honest Manhattan can be cheaper to if you are willing to live in certain areas. Its all relative. I think it really boils down to what each individual is willing to put up with and what quality of life factors impact his/her life the most.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
In terms of housing its more expensive?
So you have to $1800 for a decent 1 bedroom apartment?
I doubt its more expensive. Ive seen homes for sale in Miami for $40,000. You will never find that in NY, even in a crappy area.
this is a bit much. You can get two bedrooms for 1400 in astoria, gunhill (in the bronx), bushwick, flatbush, bed stuy and the list goes on and on. to say you can not find decent housing in NYC is outside of the scope of reality. However you wont get the same amenities you can get down here for the same amount. Oh and P.S. trust me, a home for 40,000 in Miami is a place i doubt you are gonna want to live in. Well I take that back, it depends on what you consider to be quality of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
The cost of living is not outrageous in Miami; especially when you compare it to cities in California, New York or even Washington, D.C. However salaries and pay tend to be lower than the cost of living calls for. In my humble opinion, this is because Miami has a lot of immigrants who just don't know any better in regards to what a particular profession SHOULD be making (i.e. bus drivers, police officers, teachers, etc.). Or maybe it is just a southern thing...who knows.

If you are able to snag a job with a decent livable wage (so in my opinion $50K is livable...as a single person or couple w/no kids, living modestly) you should have no problem getting by. You could not say this is you lived in many places. Just don't get caught up in 'Miami hype' and start living a lifestyle you can't support. Driving that Mercedes and snagging that beachfront condo is what has a lot of Miami residents hurting and one step away from the poor house. Truth is, if people lived within their means; they would be a lot better off.
The same can be said for NYC as well. I am from Brooklyn and trust me you can live there just fine on one persons salary. Millions are doing it every day. What causes a problem is when out of towners watch sex and the city and think they are supposed to live like that. Everything is relative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top