U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which is better tolerated by you ? Humid heat ( Miami),or dry heat ( Phoenix) ?
Humid heat better ( Miami) 25 46.30%
Dry heat better ( Phoenix) 24 44.44%
Makes no difference to me 5 9.26%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2010, 06:16 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,996,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
I'll take Phoenix's mostly dry desert heat over the humid Miami heat because the heat in Phoenix although hot and like hell in many people's opinion is better because it doesn't last the whole year. I've studied weather and climate long enough to know that even in the months of April, May and June, Phoenix's temperatures cool off at night. It is usually beginning in July that Phoenix heat can start to get uncomfortable according to some people. Miami is too hot and humid for too long. Yes they get thunderstorms there but I'd still say Phoenix is the better option just slightly even though the dry weather will leave your skin and throat dry. But its a tough call. In both places during the summer hydration is a must.

Intense humidity does not last all year in South Florida either .. in fact our weather is quite beautiful down here for five - six months of the year .. I would rather sweat and have bad hair days , then chapped lips , hands and elbows , bloody noses and dry eyes which is what the intense dry heat will do to you
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 01:34 PM

3,732 posts, read 4,530,872 times
^ And actually I think dry heat makes your hair worse than humidity anyway.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:03 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,532,833 times
Yes, the dry heat does make your hair look worse. I've heard about this too. Phoenix dry heat is similar to that of Las Vegas which I've experienced a few times before on my visits there. Yes it is hot when it gets to 110 and above but the difference is you don't sweat as much and you don't feel like having to shower after 20 minutes for the most part. Miami and Phoenix both have high heat in the summer but most people will say Miami is worse than Phoenix. Phoenix just might still be a bit more comfortable even though dry air will cause nosebleeds, chapped lips, dry eyes and throat. At least in the dry heat it is tougher to get heat stroke if you hydrate yourself. In humid heat you have to replace fluids even quicker.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:17 PM

296 posts, read 44,310 times
Humidity is so good for the skin.
Women don't need to spend on hydratant creams,lotions etc...

Old 08-21-2010, 09:11 AM

787 posts, read 1,053,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenge2ful View Post
Humidity is so good for the skin.
Women don't need to spend on hydratant creams,lotions etc...

Yes...but you have to run the AC 24 hours a day. That is more costly than any savings on skin creams.

Again, I'll take Miami's weather over Phoenix for sure....

HOWEVER, if you compare Miami to other southwestern locations like San Diego or even Albuquerque, New Mexico than you'll use the AC MUCH less than in Miami which will SAVE you money.

Agreed..humidity is BETTER for the skin than dry heat.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:47 PM

The all - american ceiling fan helps the a/c & creates pleasant coolness...

Speaking strictly about climate,Miami may not emerge as a clear winner by comparison.

If you add climate-related factors,like warmth of the sea,Miami beats San Diego...

Old 08-21-2010, 07:08 PM

919 posts, read 1,213,663 times
I rather be in the humid heat in Miami at 90 degrees then 110 in Phoenix. Hot is Hot no matter how you look at it. At least in Miami you sweat when you are hot, probably more than I would like when it is very humid. However, in Phoenix or Las Vegas when it reaches 110 and above, it feels very strange because you feel like you are burning, you can easily get dehydrated without noticing it because you do not sweat, or sweat very little. However, I would take 100 degrees in Phoenix over 90 degrees in Miami. From 100 to 110 is a big difference.

Yes, Miami is hot for about 6 months of the year with intense heat in the middle of those six months. May and October is generally hot, but for the most part 90-93 degrees for most of the month is uncommon. Last October was the exception as it was very hot well into late October. When I state hot I refer to temperatures consistently in the mid to upper 80s which we usually get in May with days in the lower 90's like this past year. Now July, August, and most of September are extremely hot and humid in Miami. Even most of June.

I like it in Miami from Nov.-March, especially Jan. and Feb. Last year April temps were nice lower than usual.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:52 AM

787 posts, read 1,053,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenge2ful View Post
The all - american ceiling fan helps the a/c & creates pleasant coolness...

Speaking strictly about climate,Miami may not emerge as a clear winner by comparison.

If you add climate-related factors,like warmth of the sea,Miami beats San Diego...

It's all a matter of taste....6 months of intense humidity for a warm ocean is a tough trade off. Nothing against Miami as I really do like it a lot!

But most people would take San Diego's climate over Miami (even with the cold Pacific in the equation).

That said, Honolulu/Hawaii is better than Miami (or San Diego):
1) warm ocean water year round; 2) more consisently warm winters than So.Fla.; 3) great surf; 4) MUCH LESS RAIN in Honolulu (20 inches) than Miami (58 inches); 5) and trade winds which make it pleasant year round, even in the middle of summer.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:20 AM

Yes,but if you want the perfect lawn,Miami's rains do wonders...

Old 08-22-2010, 06:39 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,532,833 times
Another major difference between PHX and Miami is that even at night in the summer while PHX is still warm, it is a dry warmth which makes a big difference. In Miami at night in the summer its most probably still humid which means you will sweat more. Phoenix is the winner here in this scenario
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami