Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better tolerated by you ? Humid heat ( Miami),or dry heat ( Phoenix) ?
Humid heat better ( Miami) 25 46.30%
Dry heat better ( Phoenix) 24 44.44%
Makes no difference to me 5 9.26%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 01:16 PM

6,479 posts, read 6,114,019 times

Advertisements

Probably Miami because it's so much cooler. But they're both awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 04:33 PM

4 posts, read 15,190 times
I haven't been to Phoenix and have only been to Miami a few times but, I personally prefer the dry heat. I've been doing labor work since I was a kid (yard work for the parents and what not) and as an adult I do a/c work, so I've spent a lot of time outdoors most of my life. I'm more commercial so its less seasonal for me than it is for residential guys in case anyone was wondering how that worked out lol. For residential guys there is that job security but, I'm just sick of it after all these years. When its dry outside I tend to notice that I feel more energized and motivated to get stuff done, which I'm sure is all psychological but, if the dry weather makes me feel that way than I can't complain. I also notice people's attitudes tend to change with the difference between humid and dry. More people around here, including myself, feel more lively if that makes sense (I guess that's where the energy/motivation part comes in). I can open my doors and windows which is way more refreshing imo than constantly running the a/c. I can check my mail without having to sit under a fan to dry out. People will disagree but I wish FL was more dry!

Old 09-16-2012, 08:46 PM

2,266 posts, read 1,555,795 times
Quote:
I was responding to this, btw:
Even if you leave out Chicago, 7 of the 10 largest cities in the US have no or relatively minor humidity. Claiming high humidity levels have some relation to population levels is absurd.
What I meant was *NOT* high humidity levels. I meant to say a normal humidity level of 30 and above.

NY, including the tri-state areas does have humidity in the summer
LA - humidity levels of 30 and above - except Fall months when it is drier.
Chicago - some summer months can be humid
Houston
Phila -
PHX -

You have 37 million people living in CA, normal humidity levels
You have 25 million in Texas, normal to high humidity levels
You have 19 million in FLA - high humidity levels
You have 9 million each in GA, NC, NJ also have normal to high humidity levels in the summers. ( from 1st hand experience in jersey.)

In terms of populated states, Arizona is 16th on w...pedia , 33rd out of 50 states in terns of density. [ source: worldatlas]

If more people preferred extreme dry heat regions, dont'cha think AZ would be heavily populated by now? The demand for housing would be non-stop. It is just not the case. There is so much sprawling land builders just develop o the outskirts of PHX. Then your water bill is $100 for no usage at all due to the new cities utilities pipes in the ground. Phx and Vegas are the driest places in the states. Well, sure no ***, it is in the desert. They are nice to visit (kind of like the Kalahari desert in Africa). Your skin does change quickly in the dry heat. It will just wilt up and dry out w/o constant water and moisturizing.
It's all genetics I guess, some people sweat more and some don't.

Since my skin felt & looked better in the humidity and the scenery is better, I'd choose that over desert dry Phx. Don't get me wrong. I do like the amenities of Phoenix. It is not some boring hole in the wall city. I just wish it were more green and less dry.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:47 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,146,996 times
Miami. Let's not forget, Phoenix can have humid, stormy summer days from monsoonal moisture, with which it can be 114F AND humid! And Miami can have some chilly, dry weather for a few days in winter. But I'll pick Miami, humid heat feels better than desert heat, plus you get the ocean and breezes.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:07 PM

563 posts, read 1,778,563 times
I've visited both Miami and phoenix area both about a dozen times each. Hands down for me, dry heat. With the humidity I have to shower like three times a day. Being sticky nonstop is something I cannot stand.

the only time I'd pick Miami over phoenix is the beaches. Otherwise I'll take 110 & dry heat over 90 and 75% humidity.

if I need a sweat to cool down, I'll just eat spicy food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami