Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 11:42 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,922,211 times

Advertisements

Er...Overtown is on the same side of the river as Downtown, and since the 7th ave bridge was taken out of use, access from Overtown to Little Havana is probably insignificant.

I find that those newer buildings on SW1st/Flagler are similarly priced as Loft I, II right across from Bayside. The older buildings with lower rents (but still inflated, IMO) don't look like they're in good shape to me. As far as houses, there are some architectural gems, small Spanish mission style houses, for example. But unless you're willing to pay downtown high-rise prices, the rental housing stock doesn't really offer much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 02:01 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,371,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
------------

Gringo

The area around Miami River Inn, 4th Ave and 1st St SW, is packed with big buildings that weren't there when I lived close to that area. The buildings look new, some with swimming pools. Those buldings are not roach palaces.

That area used to be very safe. You only have to cross the river to be in Dowtown, but I wouldn't live across the river, Overtown is too close for comfort.
Just to clarify...is this the area the OP was talking about? There is some new development going on there and indeed has some newer buildings.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:07 PM

535 posts, read 1,407,044 times
That area is skanky, poor and dirty... move a few blocks ahead and rent on downtown...

Old 08-10-2010, 06:29 AM

888 posts, read 881,692 times
Hey Gringo72,
Broward or Tampa...

Old 10-05-2010, 08:21 PM

11 posts, read 24,238 times
I moved to Brickell, which I like so far...

Old 10-06-2010, 01:48 PM

535 posts, read 1,407,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo72 View Post
I moved to Brickell, which I like so far...
You made a good choice A thousand times better than Lil Havana...

Old 10-06-2010, 03:39 PM

139 posts, read 382,810 times
Brickell is full of snobs, so I prefer Little Havana.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:59 PM

202 posts, read 684,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebsosaurus View Post
i really feel that this whole "quality of life" thing is subjective. if you want to live a very suburban, cookie-cutter life, shopping at the "nice walmart" and stuff like that, don't live in that area. if you're an artist, any kind of political or social upstart with a taste for the city life in this great melting pot that is little havana, please do live here. i suppose the lack of higher quality of life, if we must use this term, may be attributed to a higher crime rate than usual, congestion, higher traffic, high hustle area. however, little havana is one of the few areas in miami that has kept its old world charm in a rustic and non elitist way (hard to find here), and this is precisely what i like about it. seriously? i live near the gables and am perpetually charmed every time i'm in little havana. it's a gorgeous architectural and historical place. and just because i'm a hater, i'd like to add that i'm really not crazy about all the snooty, upturned-nosed jerks i deal with in the gables scene, much prefer little havana dealings, however kooky and nuanced they may sometimes be.

nothing generic about little havana, and it will be exciting to live there to say the very least. don't let certain xenophobes deter you, i admire you for even considering this. also, there are some very nice blocks in this area that are a bit less congested, that have nicer multi-units...etc.

good luck!
The quality of life seems to be below average. Especially in East Little Havana. Most people are relatively poor. Most are 1st or 2nd generation immigrants from Cuba. I personally wouldn't live there, it doesn't seem to offer much..

Old 10-11-2010, 02:29 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,161,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatitdo? View Post
The quality of life seems to be below average. Especially in East Little Havana. Most people are relatively poor. Most are 1st or 2nd generation immigrants from Cuba. I personally wouldn't live there, it doesn't seem to offer much..
Cubans in Little Havana? ORLY?

Old 10-11-2010, 03:17 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,249,605 times
Well, it would be okay, especially if you work downtown. But, for the price, you could probably live in South Miami, there are alot of nice apts in that area, and a better quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami