Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:38 AM

361 posts, read 1,087,691 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious if the typical unemployment rate only tracks people with degrees looking for work in the their profession, or people with or without degrees looking for any type of job that is available? To people who currently hold degrees, what type of jobs have you been looking for? Are you sticking to areas within your major? Or are you looking for jobs like Walgreens, Publix, certain Hotels, warehouse/shipping/receiving or Wal-Mart for instance- or are those jobs just not hiring in Miami-Dade neither?

I'm just wondering because maybe the unemployment would be just a little lower if people still didn't view certain jobs as "below them". But I don't know, I can't say for sure because I don't know if these jobs in South Florida are hiring necessarily either. I guess you can say I am just wondering if lower class jobs are hiring in Dade. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 12:22 PM

787 posts, read 1,942,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkShiner View Post
I'm just curious if the typical unemployment rate only tracks people with degrees looking for work in the their profession, or people with or without degrees looking for any type of job that is available?

To people who currently hold degrees, what type of jobs have you been looking for? Are you sticking to areas within your major? Or are you looking for jobs like Walgreens, Publix, certain Hotels, warehouse/shipping/receiving or Wal-Mart for instance- or are those jobs just not hiring in Miami-Dade neither?

I'm just wondering because maybe the unemployment would be just a little lower if people still didn't view certain jobs as "below them". But I don't know, I can't say for sure because I don't know if these jobs in South Florida are hiring necessarily either. I guess you can say I am just wondering if lower class jobs are hiring in Dade. Thanks.
The official unemployment rate published by the govt. (currently 9.5% nationally) includes ALL workers (both with college degrees and without a degree).

They also publish the unemployment rate by educational attainment: no high school diploma, high school diploma, college degree or higher.

See link here for National figures.

Table A-4. Employment status of the civilian population 25 years and over by educational attainment

As indicated by the data, people 25 or older with a college degree or higher have an unemployment rate of only 4.5%...much less than the national average of 9.5% (which tracks all workers, age 16 or older I believe).

Old 08-24-2010, 06:26 AM

810 posts, read 1,578,285 times
Quote:
I'm just curious if the typical unemployment rate only tracks people with degrees looking for work in the their profession, or people with or without degrees looking for any type of job that is available? To people who currently hold degrees, what type of jobs have you been looking for? Are you sticking to areas within your major? Or are you looking for jobs like Walgreens, Publix, certain Hotels, warehouse/shipping/receiving or Wal-Mart for instance- or are those jobs just not hiring in Miami-Dade neither?

If i had to take a job beneath me I would relocate where no one knows me. i would never let my coworkers see me working a low paying job. My coworkers would feel pity and others would be happy to see my downfall. All the people that judge those who wont take low paying jobs are just a bunch of hypocrites. They wouldn't do it themselves if they had to.
Obviously many professionals can work in retail, retail hires anybody even overqualifed people if they have a business need.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:02 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
Quote:
I'm just wondering because maybe the unemployment would be just a little lower if people still didn't view certain jobs as "below them".
Sometimes it is not pride that keeps people from taking lower-paying jobs; it is economic reasons. Unemployment compensation is based on how much you were earning before you lost your job (up to a max limit). There have been stories in the news of how people with previous hig-paying jobs took lesser work just to get back in the workforce and then lost their new job too. Then their new unemployment was recalculated off of the most recent job and they ended up getting almost nothing. The systems is not set up to reward those who take any job that they can find and smart people realize that and don't take work that would hurt them economically.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Sometimes it is not pride that keeps people from taking lower-paying jobs; it is economic reasons. Unemployment compensation is based on how much you were earning before you lost your job (up to a max limit). There have been stories in the news of how people with previous hig-paying jobs took lesser work just to get back in the workforce and then lost their new job too. Then their new unemployment was recalculated off of the most recent job and they ended up getting almost nothing. The systems is not set up to reward those who take any job that they can find and smart people realize that and don't take work that would hurt them economically.
True, I didn't think of that. I have yet to be on unemployment (knock on wood), so something like that hadn't occurred to me. I would do the same thing.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:20 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
True, I didn't think of that. I have yet to be on unemployment (knock on wood), so something like that hadn't occurred to me. I would do the same thing.
I hope its something you never have to experience. I have friends now dealing with chronic unemployment through no fault of their own. It is really a demoralizing experience.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I hope its something you never have to experience. I have friends now dealing with chronic unemployment through no fault of their own. It is really a demoralizing experience.
Oh I know, I've been unemployed and struggled, even worse so because at the time I had just graduated high school while living at my friends house and was unable to find a job for a year and a half, and no previous job experience behind me to qualify me for unemployment benefits (or to help get me a job for that matter). Luckily (or unluckily), I found some under the table type deal at a warehouse, grueling work, $60 a day for a whole 12 hours work or so. I made it work, but when that business went under, I was unemployed again and still with no benefits/job experience because it was all under the table work. It is a terrible experience I wouldn't wish on anybody. And yeah, I know how demoralizing it is when you get rejected and see you don't qualify for some stupid cashier job at Target. Good luck to your friends though. Luckily with the job I have now, I would qualify for unemployment money just in case, but I hope I'll never have to go down that road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: