Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2010, 06:14 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Imagine if you made comments like that concerning other groups?

I see nothing wrong in Miami Rob's comments ..... lets not be so overly sensitive .... do you go to Mexico and see the realities ... I go to Mexico City twice a year on business and there are definitely serious class distinctions in Mexico based on race and wealth .... yes the 20% white "elites" run the country with an iron grip ... see the PRI , PAN and traditional ruling parties and their leadership .. yes white Mexicans .. the same who love to own homes in Miami on Brickell or Key Biscayne ... they are very elitist and snobby .... I much prefer the indigenous Mexican people .

Old 09-06-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
----

The conversion from a Poke County Sherifdom and Haven for Senior Jews to a world class Financial and Business center. It all happened way before you arrived to Southern Florida. In other words, Cubans (and Federal Funds, CIA, Latin American capital and Money laundering by local banks) created modern Miami. There's a hyperabondance of books about the subject.

If it weren't by the massive arrival of Cubans during the 60's and 70's, Dade would be now a Afro-American city so Miami would not exist. It would be a large Liberty City with isolated islands, and perhaps Miami Beach.

Calle Ocho does not represent Cuban power in Miami, the same way that Little Italy does not represent Italian power in NY.

Your comments here on on other posts seem to imply that Cubans are somehow superior than other Hispanic groups in some way ... I can assure you that if 800,000 educated professionals in other words the elites had come to Miami from Argentina , Mexico , Colombia , Brazil , Venezuela , Korea or Belgium in the 1960's they would all be crowing about how they "made Miami " .... as far as I know much of the construction growth in Miami during the 80's was fueled by cocaine and narcotics money from Colombia for which many local Cuban American bankers and others were more than happy to accept in their vaults ... much of the resurgence of South Beach , Brickell and Key Biscayne .. was capital from the North East , Colombia , Venezuela , Mexico and Europe ... again you need to convince me how Cubans made Miami ..... note that question also has a down side .... Miami is not the paradise you seem to believe it is .... many could suggest that it is a third world city in many respects ... so be careful that Cubans do not get too much credit for that . I have Cuban American family from my wifes side and they are terrific loving people as many or most Cubans are ... but some Cubans have this arrogant its all about me side and that we are better than other groups that rubs the wrong way .... not just my observations ... but that of others including Cuban American friends .

Old 09-06-2010, 07:40 AM

199 posts, read 475,722 times
Cubans have helped make Miami a more metropolitan city. I do not doubt that. The fact that Hispanics are dominant here (not just Cubans, all Hispanics) and make up all classes is something I do like about this city. It is quite unlike any other city in the U.S. The first wave of Cubans was mostly professional, but like Rock says, a large number of professionals from any other Latin American country would have done the same. They are not some type of special super-Latino group that arrived here. Cubans have been quite successful here but let's not forget the mega help gotten from the U.S. government. One can be successful and humble/well-mannered at the same time. Colombians can be quite successful and mostly keep their manners with them. I prefer the humble "manito" personality around me than the arrogant "I deserve everything" attitude. Success with manners would be the ideal combination.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggerhead Shrike View Post
Cubans have helped make Miami a more metropolitan city. I do not doubt that. The fact that Hispanics are dominant here (not just Cubans, all Hispanics) and make up all classes is something I do like about this city. It is quite unlike any other city in the U.S. The first wave of Cubans was mostly professional, but like Rock says, a large number of professionals from any other Latin American country would have done the same. They are not some type of special super-Latino group that arrived here. Cubans have been quite successful here but let's not forget the mega help gotten from the U.S. government. One can be successful and humble/well-mannered at the same time. Colombians can be quite successful and mostly keep their manners with them. I prefer the humble "manito" personality around me than the arrogant "I deserve everything" attitude. Success with manners would be the ideal combination.
Excellent post .... yes Cubans can be high powered dynamic professionals and no doubt have helped Miami grow ... but some have this the world revolves around me attitude that puts people off ..I see it in my wifes family ... most are great people .. all or most went to college and are now successful .. but there is always the cousin Pepe or uncle Raulito that is a wind bag at family gatherings and talks about the all the lands they owned in Cuba and how they had color TV in 1918 .. etc , etc and how Miami would be a cow town with out them bla , bla .... anyhow I believe that we are on the same page ... again nice post

Old 09-06-2010, 01:21 PM

433 posts, read 952,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Excellent post .... yes Cubans can be high powered dynamic professionals and no doubt have helped Miami grow ... but some have this the world revolves around me attitude that puts people off ..I see it in my wifes family ... most are great people .. all or most went to college and are now successful .. but there is always the cousin Pepe or uncle Raulito that is a wind bag at family gatherings and talks about the all the lands they owned in Cuba and how they had color TV in 1918 .. etc , etc and how Miami would be a cow town with out them bla , bla .... anyhow I believe that we are on the same page ... again nice post

Sorry Rock, we cannot lie. We are the best people in the world, just look at the Pew Hispanic Center' data (Link below), we are at the top in the Hispanics food chain. . LOL, Joking aside, the stereotype you see is typical in all cultures, one more than others. In Britain there are still many people that believe in the superiority of the English man. In Mexico and Argentina, well, the levels of nationalism there are astonishing. The reason you see this trait so often in the Cuban community is because you are not only in the second city in the world with the largest Cuban population but you are marry to an American of Cuban heritage, LOL. In Miami, you have Cubans or American of Cuban heritage from all the backgrounds and social classes, from a candidate for the US senate to a Medicare thief. This fact does not happen to the other predominant Hispanics groups in Miami; Colombians and Venezuelans, where the majority are/were upper-middle class in their countries, it is not the case for Cubans who are not even allowed to have PRIVATE PROPERTY.

PD: It is a fact the education and income levels of the Cuban community are the highest of all the Hispanics groups. Although, it is not a lie that the quality or success measured in terms of income and education of Cubans as a groups is diminishing with the new arrivals.

http://pewhispanic.org/files/factsheets/23.pdf

Old 09-06-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggerhead Shrike View Post
Manitos? The majority are just acting that way because these manitos are here illegaly which translates into they better behave accordingly. Just go to their home countries and you will see their true personalities. Just go to Mexico and you will see how the upper class acts over there. Like RACIST PIGS.

When you say arrogant and I-deserve-everything attitude, are you talking about the typical American? I have almost the entire 3rd World countries’ population to back up my statement. It is about perception and personal experiences my boy.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
-----

Yes, that's why many outsiders hate Miami. Latinos command the whip and they are not the "sí, manito" types.
You see that's a real fact. I always enjoy to heard people saying that there is a difference between the Cubans in and out the island. People generally say that Cubans in the island are nicer. BS, they are just acting that way because the misery there is so much that in order to get food on the table they have to act like servant to the almighty foreingner who generally is a fat Canadian that sees himself as a the savior of a beutiful underage mulata.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I see nothing wrong in Miami Rob's comments ..... lets not be so overly sensitive .... do you go to Mexico and see the realities ... I go to Mexico City twice a year on business and there are definitely serious class distinctions in Mexico based on race and wealth .... yes the 20% white "elites" run the country with an iron grip ... see the PRI , PAN and traditional ruling parties and their leadership .. yes white Mexicans .. the same who love to own homes in Miami on Brickell or Key Biscayne ... they are very elitist and snobby .... I much prefer the indigenous Mexican people .
Unbelievable and disgusting eh? But think? If those indigenous Mexican people were the ones with power and money, would they be any different? According to the history of Mayan empire something is telling me that they would be as lousy and arrogant as American/Whites/Muzungos/Europeans are considered in many parts of the world. So, enjoy you ride because Americans can be the next Africans/Indigenous of the world of tomorrow

Old 09-07-2010, 02:52 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
Sorry Rock, we cannot lie. We are the best people in the world, just look at the Pew Hispanic Center' data (Link below), we are at the top in the Hispanics food chain. . LOL, Joking aside, the stereotype you see is typical in all cultures, one more than others. In Britain there are still many people that believe in the superiority of the English man. In Mexico and Argentina, well, the levels of nationalism there are astonishing. The reason you see this trait so often in the Cuban community is because you are not only in the second city in the world with the largest Cuban population but you are marry to an American of Cuban heritage, LOL. In Miami, you have Cubans or American of Cuban heritage from all the backgrounds and social classes, from a candidate for the US senate to a Medicare thief. This fact does not happen to the other predominant Hispanics groups in Miami; Colombians and Venezuelans, where the majority are/were upper-middle class in their countries, it is not the case for Cubans who are not even allowed to have PRIVATE PROPERTY.

PD: It is a fact the education and income levels of the Cuban community are the highest of all the Hispanics groups. Although, it is not a lie that the quality or success measured in terms of income and education of Cubans as a groups is diminishing with the new arrivals.

http://pewhispanic.org/files/factsheets/23.pdf

----

Thomas

They just can't swallow it. Hell, back during the 70's Miami was already a International city on his way up and Hispanics that complain so much about Cubans weren't even around.

Hope the Immigration Law helps solve the situation.

Oh, yes, Cubans are proud of Miami.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:03 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
You see that's a real fact. I always enjoy to heard people saying that there is a difference between the Cubans in and out the island. People generally say that Cubans in the island are nicer. BS, they are just acting that way because the misery there is so much that in order to get food on the table they have to act like servant to the almighty foreingner who generally is a fat Canadian that sees himself as a the savior of a beutiful underage mulata.

---

Well, Cubans in the island act like poodles when they see hard currency, they behave like "manitos". Not only Canadians, last time I was there a few months ago I visited Guantanamo, I found a guy from Hialeah that worked as a barber, he was a "mula", he brought things from flea markets, he was surrounded by beautiful women. The only Cubans from Miami you find there are new arrivals, they dress in a ridiculous manner and are loud.

Havana is nice, but palestinians gremlins have taken a large part of the city. The western part remains the same.

Last edited by Manolón; 09-07-2010 at 03:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami