Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 02:14 PM

56 posts, read 94,604 times

Advertisements

Tans are overrated,who needs skin cancer,the tropics can keep their more vibrant tans as the OP states it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 02:52 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,134,209 times
I think you are getting at the zenith of the sun, in other words, the angle at which is shines down. Miami is only two degrees of latitude north of the Tropic of Cancer, which is why it is not considered the true tropics.

Now, with such a direct sun angle, virtually 90 degrees for several months, this is the same as is seen in the tropics depending on the time of year. Obiosuly if you are here April to September you will gat the rich tan you would find in the tropics. The rest of the year you might have to lay out a little bit longer to achieve that due to a slightly less direct sun angle. But it is all splitting hairs....and isn't the Jersey Shore fake tan look kind of tacky?? Well to each his own, but think about how your skin will be in 30 years...

Old 08-28-2010, 04:27 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
The tint to the skin is absolutely not the same in the tropics as the temperate zone. Someone who lays out all day in PR will have a different look than a person who stays in NY

If you have so much experience in residing in different places around the world, and knowledge of sun exposure; why did you create this thread to ask the question you did?

I gave you the answer, direct from personal experience, you did not accept it because it counters what you want the answer to be.

So here is the answer you want:

"No, Miami will not give you as good of a tan as PR, Central America, Brazil, or any other area at or near the equater. Miami is not worth the darn for getting a tan, and is really not worth a darn to live in despite the numerous amount of immigrants who flee to Miami each year.

The best tan in the world comes from PR and the DR, no other place can beat it. I wake up everyday to this fact and my life is miserable because of it".

There, is that the answer you are looking for? Happy now?

Old 08-28-2010, 04:35 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times
Actually, you won't get a tan in Brazil, unless you are near the coast; the sun there turns your skin yellow, not reddish-brown/olive like in the caribbean or north africa/southern europe.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:33 PM

796 posts, read 1,843,196 times
I don't tan anywhere...I just burn.

Besides...it's bad for your skin...but I am sure you already knew that!

Old 08-28-2010, 05:39 PM

787 posts, read 1,942,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
If you have so much experience in residing in different places around the world, and knowledge of sun exposure; why did you create this thread to ask the question you did?

I gave you the answer, direct from personal experience, you did not accept it because it counters what you want the answer to be.

So here is the answer you want:

"No, Miami will not give you as good of a tan as PR, Central America, Brazil, or any other area at or near the equater. Miami is not worth the darn for getting a tan, and is really not worth a darn to live in despite the numerous amount of immigrants who flee to Miami each year.

The best tan in the world comes from PR and the DR, no other place can beat it. I wake up everyday to this fact and my life is miserable because of it".

There, is that the answer you are looking for? Happy now?
Great post....very funny! You had me laughing hard.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:22 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Santo Domingo VS Miami (Dec, Jan, Feb)

Highs: 85/76 , 84/74, 84/75

Lows: 68/64, 67/61, 67/63

Santo Domingo is the very definition of a tropical city. It makes Miami look like Alaska.

In fact, Santo Domingo is hotter in January than Miami is in May.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:11 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
You know you can probably get the best tan in the rockies. (Higher altitude)

Anyway, not sure why you are asking this question. But yes, it may take 30mins longer but yes you can. The difference is not huge. I could probably get a good tan standing outside in England too if I stood outside all day.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:49 PM

613 posts, read 759,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post

Santo Domingo is the very definition of a tropical city. It makes Miami look like Alaska.

Barrow, Alaska

........................Avg High...............Avg Low
December............-4.9F..................-16.6F
January...............-7.8F..................-21.7F
February............-10.2F..................-23.1F

Old 09-29-2011, 08:13 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post

The definition of a tropical climate is an area with a mean temperature of 64 degrees F 12 months a year, in which Miami does. heck, the link on another thread I gave even listed Miami as an example of a place with a tropical climate.

If you do not like the definition of tropical climate, than please submit your report to the powers to be to change the definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami