Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 12:04 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,856,675 times

Advertisements

And those are only the ones that are reported... although i dont live in west kendall i myself have had my car broken into twice and much $$ worth of items was stolen and i did not report it... people just underestimate the **** that happens out there its not all flowers and rainbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
If you want to know about reported crimes in any area, just go to the Dade website and put in the address, or a cross street and whatever date range you want and you can see what's going on in any particular area

My Neighborhood: Crime Incident

I put in 137th Ave and Kendall Dr From Jan 1 of this year, til 8/19/2010, here's the following reported crimes in a 1.5 mile range:

Search Results:
10 crime incident type(s) found in 1.50 square mile around
SW 137TH AVE and SW 88TH ST

Summary Report:No. Crime Type 69Burglary Vehicle 47Burglary 27Burglary Residential 19Auto Theft Stolen 10Burglary Commercia l9Auto Theft 5Robbery 2Auto Theft Foreign Stolen 2No Description 1Auto Theft Attemp t191All Incidents

For my home, I did a .5 mile range, was surprised there were as many incidents as there were:

Summary Report:No. Crime Type 10Burglary Vehicle7Burglary5Burglary Residential1Auto Theft1Auto Theft Stolen1Robbery25All Incidents

I'm sure there are more crimes that are not included as there is nothing listed for battery, murder, sexual crimes, etc.

As Doom101 mentioned about the area near Walmart, it's not a good area at all. There's a lot of low income residents in the area. Years ago we would deliver food and after a while we stopped delivering there due to the crime, it just wasn't worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 01:30 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,366,714 times
I think the anonymous gang member at the end said it best--most of these gangs are wannabes who don't hold a candle to some of the rougher gangs out there. Unfortunately, a couple of them do seem to be willing to take it to the next level, grab a gun, and try and shoot at someone. I think it's a bit ridiculous to paint West Kendall as being out of control, though I do agree that some incidents are inclined to happen in the plethora of lower-rent apartment complexes in the area. Considering West Kendall has generally been considered a safe area, just a few incidents are enough to cause some shockwaves.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:10 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,856,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
I think the anonymous gang member at the end said it best--most of these gangs are wannabes who don't hold a candle to some of the rougher gangs out there. Unfortunately, a couple of them do seem to be willing to take it to the next level, grab a gun, and try and shoot at someone. I think it's a bit ridiculous to paint West Kendall as being out of control, though I do agree that some incidents are inclined to happen in the plethora of lower-rent apartment complexes in the area. Considering West Kendall has generally been considered a safe area, just a few incidents are enough to cause some shockwaves.

Umm hello... the anonymous gang member said its only going to get worse... it was the officer who said they are wannabe.. which is my point of this thread this stuff has been happening and it will continue to happen until people take these things seriously whether they are wannabe or not.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:24 AM

242 posts, read 313,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
Umm hello... the anonymous gang member said its only going to get worse... it was the officer who said they are wannabe.. which is my point of this thread this stuff has been happening and it will continue to happen until people take these things seriously whether they are wannabe or not.
Exactly!

I also agree that driving in Kendall is very dangerous, especially at night when Kendall Drive becomes an often deadly racetrack. I always wonder where the police are. I seldom see then pulling these idiots over and throwing the proverbial book at them.

Oh and for a SUBURB, Kendall has far too much crime.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:54 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,151,082 times
No, it's not!!! (i'm very upset now lol)

West Kendall is a very safe place. ; __ ;

Old 09-01-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
No, it's not!!! (i'm very upset now lol)

West Kendall is a very safe place. ; __ ;
It's safe as in you are not likely to get shot for no reason, but in terms of car crime (my car was broken into twice in just 10 months) and in terms of being hit by a reckless idiot behind the wheel of a Honda Civic, I wouldn't call it safe.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:35 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,151,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Your.Decision View Post
It's safe as in you are not likely to get shot for no reason, but in terms of car crime (my car was broken into twice in just 10 months) and in terms of being hit by a reckless idiot behind the wheel of a Honda Civic, I wouldn't call it safe.
Crossing the street is always a dilemma, believe me, I still can't overcome my fears. I don't have a car and I've been doing that for years, maybe I have some kind of anxiety disorder.

Are you sure you didn't have enemies when you lived here? Cuz car breakings, here in West Kendall, are usually "friend" to "friend" related; punks just don't go and break into a random car. I know my hood very well, and that's not how we roll here.

Maybe the person who broke into your car was not from this area.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Crossing the street is always a dilemma, believe me, I still can't overcome my fears. I don't have a car and I've been doing that for years, maybe I have some kind of anxiety disorder.

Are you sure you didn't have enemies when you lived here? Cuz car breakings, here in West Kendall, are usually "friend" to "friend" related; punks just don't go and break into a random car. I know my hood very well, and that's not how we roll here.

No enemies (few friends either lol). The cops weren't too interested and I moved out of that area some time ago. I probably would have stayed longer, had it not been for the traffic. I liked the apartment I had at the time...top floor corner unit, no noise.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
Whoops, that was the cop that said it. I do agree with you that this needs to be addressed though--and if it's a lot of 17-18 year old kids doing this stuff, that starts at home. If the parents are aloof about what is going on though it's going to be tougher to combat.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:

I suppose it depends on one's personal experience--less expensive apartment complexes (I'm referring to <$1000/month in rent or so) can often be rife with break-ins because while most people who live there aren't criminals some of them keep shady company that are. I've personally never had my car broken into, but I've lived in apartment complexes where it has been a problem. I think that's just a general issue with apartment complexes though--and because West Kendall has a lot of them, it's going to be something the community deals with more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami