Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 03:30 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,868,251 times

Advertisements

Drive-by shootings on the rise in West Kendall - West Kendall - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/30/1798859/drive-by-shootings-on-the-rise.html?pageNum=1&&&&&&mi_pluck_action=page_nav# Comments_Container - broken link)

... Hmm i dunno where to start... i guess ill start with the comments ive read in that article....since i see similar ones here..

First of a gang is a gang i dont care if they come from rich families these kids feel like they got something to prove and they glorify thug life just because they come from west kendall does not mean they should be laughed off and ignored.... which is proven by the officers comment about referencing them to LA gangs.. sure LA gangs may be more hardcore but we arent in LA were in Miami these kids are reckless...everytime i say that **** happens in kendall people dont want to believe it..ive been to highschool in sunset and braddock there are "gangs" and people glorifying thug life... in those schools you have two main groups of kids 1- the rich preppy kids 2 - The poor ghetto thuggish kids from trailor parks and low income apartments... sure these gangs arent HUGE and organized like LA but they are about and doing activities and before anyone gets any ideas ive lived in areas populated with zoe pound members so dont think im just hyping this **** up

WAKE UP People there is a reversal going on of what we saw in the early 1900's rich educated people are moving to the city and poor people are moving to the suburbs... granted there are some million dollar houses in kendall there are also a lot of low income apartments and cheap housing.... and naranja!?!?? dont even get me started a little off topic but im trying to make a point. Right across the street from the projects in naranja you have HUGE Homes selling for 50k to thugs

ugh i had soo much more on my mind but i forget it the moment another thought comes in cause i have soo much to say about this.... but my main point is .. there are gangs and criminal activity in the suburbs this is a new day and age the suburbs are no longer only for the rich and wealthy im tired of people saying "oh lol wanna be gang members from the suburbs " **** does get real out there and to me the term "innercity" is worthless because i know for a fact id rather live in some city ghettos over a suburb ghetto anyday ...

and just for clarification yes some of these "thugs" are "wannabe" ive seen it first hand a kid who thinks he is a thug and having a hard life and his parents buy him a brand new car for his birthday even if he is failing school its sad but this is the day we live in .... cant say what the future holds =-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 04:12 PM

242 posts, read 315,398 times
I've always said that Kendall is a very deceptive place. At face value, it looks like a wannabe version of the LA suburbs, with similar cookie cutter type homes, but a lot more apartment complexes. But the reality is that Kendall is nowhere near as "safe" as many claim that it is, particularly West Kendall. You have a lot of very bored kids and 20 somethings and an odd mix of middle class / wealthy and poor. Kendall is basically a wolf in sheeps' clothing - a ghetto masquerading itself as a nice suburban type place, even though it has few parks or amenities like most suburbs.

Kendall could have been a nice place to live had it been better planned, with more emphasis on making it walkable and accessible by mass transit. Too many "chains" to shop and eat at and not enough family owned businesses. It's like Kendall grew and grew, but never developed a heart, soul or a sense of community.

BTW, I lived in West Kendall 6 years ago and still have a couple of friends there. The place has gone downhill fast and something needs to be done about the drive by shootings and also the low level crime that plagues the area and isn't too hard to see for your own eyes.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:11 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,192,944 times
Say what? Kendall is not going downhills, it is now safer than it used to be 10 years ago. This is nothing but pure media exploitation, it's up to you if you want to believe it or not.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Say what? Kendall is not going downhills, it is now safer than it used to be 10 years ago. This is nothing but pure media exploitation, it's up to you if you want to believe it or not.

umm do you live there??... ill admit the dadeland area is improving greatly but i dunno bout the rest... how exactly is it safer than 10 years ago!? lmao

Old 08-31-2010, 08:14 PM

Yeah, I live in the West Kendall area.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:38 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,895,549 times
I lived in the houses behind Wal-Mart until like 1999 and parts of West Kendall are now resembling sections of Hialeah,there's no way it's improving,It's not a ghetto by any means but the whole area,actually most of Miami as a whole is on a big downward slope.Crime wise,you basically have to be careful and alert everywhere you go,I can't say I've ever felt really unsafe but things happen.When I lived over in West Kendall the only thing that happened was someone got in our backyard and stole a bicycle.I'm now closer to the Country Walk area in a pretty decent area and just a few days ago I get in my car in the morning and someone apparently got inside the car looking for something to steal,luckily I had nothing of worth inside and that I still use a club that's like 15 years old.I'm actually more worried about the driving,I think the drivers have gotten much worse over the years than the crime,it feels like every day you have to worry about the next psycho that's going to cut you off driving 20 mph faster than everyone else.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:17 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times
these are wanna be thugs and that's all. Didn't the article state that there have been 8 drive bys in the area this year? The Herald likes to sensationalize a lot of things.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
these are wanna be thugs and that's all. Didn't the article state that there have been 8 drive bys in the area this year? The Herald likes to sensationalize a lot of things.

Yea wannabe THUG ... i dont care if they have reason to act this way or not they are still glorifying thug life and doing criminal behavior and if they have reached the stage where they are willing to shoot at someone in hopes of killing them i think we have something to be worried about....these arent the wannabe thugs that will run off if you yell at them these are the ones that will pull out a piece and shoot you....

my point of making this thread is to prove the point that PEOPLE ARE SHRUGGING THIS OFF SAYING "OH WANNABE JUST WANNABE's" IT DOESNT MATTER THIS IS A PROBLEM AND ITS NOT GOING TO STOP UNTIL PEOPLE TAKE IT SERIOUSLY!!! .. and just because they are from a suburb doesnt mean they cant be REAL thugs not everyone in the suburbs is rich.. just like not everyone in the city is poor

yesmad lmao

Old 08-31-2010, 09:56 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,178,365 times
If you want to know about reported crimes in any area, just go to the Dade website and put in the address, or a cross street and whatever date range you want and you can see what's going on in any particular area

My Neighborhood: Crime Incident

I put in 137th Ave and Kendall Dr From Jan 1 of this year, til 8/19/2010, here's the following reported crimes in a 1.5 mile range:

Search Results:
10 crime incident type(s) found in 1.50 square mile around
SW 137TH AVE and SW 88TH ST

Summary Report:No. Crime Type 69Burglary Vehicle 47Burglary 27Burglary Residential 19Auto Theft Stolen 10Burglary Commercia l9Auto Theft 5Robbery 2Auto Theft Foreign Stolen 2No Description 1Auto Theft Attemp t191All Incidents

For my home, I did a .5 mile range, was surprised there were as many incidents as there were:

Summary Report:No. Crime Type 10Burglary Vehicle7Burglary5Burglary Residential1Auto Theft1Auto Theft Stolen1Robbery25All Incidents

I'm sure there are more crimes that are not included as there is nothing listed for battery, murder, sexual crimes, etc.

As Doom101 mentioned about the area near Walmart, it's not a good area at all. There's a lot of low income residents in the area. Years ago we would deliver food and after a while we stopped delivering there due to the crime, it just wasn't worth it.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:43 PM

What what???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami