Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2007, 11:07 PM

58 posts, read 228,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibcy98 View Post
I grew up in the Miami area, moved to Ohio for work for a few years, gladly moved back to Miami. Sorry but hearing complete strangers tell me please or thank you didn't make up for losing the beach, the sunny days, or being away from friends and relatives. Guess what, plenty of rude fast food service and drivers there as well, wait til you spend 5+ years living elsewhere, the thrill of newness will wear off and you'll find that underneath it all people are still people. I'm white, don't much care for Spanish, but fact is 21st Century America is becoming a bilingual nation, like it or not. And if you do find yourself getting beef from the majority of people in Miami, just maybe you should look in the mirror for the cause. They can't all be a-holes, at some point you gotta examine how you're carrying yourself.
My feelings exactly. Notice how your comment was completely blown off. I think people here enjoy wallowing in their self-pity. Misery has lots of good company on these boards. I can't imagine living in Arkansas or Iowa. I would be miserable.

The complaints are always the same: the driving, the Spanish, the lack of courtesy, the cost of living.

If you think driving here is bad, go to Italy and see how it is. There, people flash their brights at you consistently. Other times, they pass you and the guy in the lane next to yours by literally speeding ahead along the median, forcing you and the other guy to split into the left and right emergency lanes.

I am half European, and I will never forget the nasty looks I got from Midwesterners when I spoke to my friend in my native tongue. As far as I am concerned, I am glad there is a place where people are free to speak what they want. By the way, I have NEVER been mistreated in Miami for speaking English.

If you think there is a lack of courtesy here, go to Germany or Italy and enjoy. In cities in Germany, they will literally stare at you in disgust if you don't bag your groceries fast enough. In stores in Italy, you can forget even touching any merchandise, since their goods are not insured. If the shirt you buy is not the right size, tough luck for you.

Finally, the cost of living here is not worse than it is in Europe or other U.S. cities. Most of the Western world lives the way people here do. What do you expect: a mansion? If you want a big house, then move to Iowa. If you think Miami lacks culture, just wait until you get to Arkansas.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:53 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,213,281 times
"By the way, I have NEVER been mistreated in Miami for speaking English."

above is a quote, i'm sorry, i just couldnt help myself, but does anyone realize how rediculous this sounds? we are in america, you know?

Old 07-21-2007, 05:22 PM

Most of you claim that the Hispanics down here treat you badly when you speak to them in English. There is nothing "ridiculous" about what I am saying, since all I am doing is objecting to that claim. I suggest you re-read the prior statements made on the subject.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:19 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,489 times
I was reading this thread and can not understand why people won't believe south Florida has changed. I think Sergio said it best as denial and misery. Its very sad !

Old 07-21-2007, 09:28 PM

no, i guess you dont get what i'm saying. the fact that anyone has to mention the fact that, and i quote, "By the way, I have NEVER been mistreated in Miami for speaking English" is rediculous. nobody should feel like they should be mistreated for speaking english in the united states.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:34 PM

31 posts, read 119,257 times
Sergio's description of Miami is exactly what we experienced six months after we left Miami and decided to visit our family. We moved from Miami Dec/06, we did not have to go as far though to experience a totally different world. We had lived all our lives in Miami, and approximately 2 years ago decided it was time to move somewhere else, we did our research and made a decision based on our values and what was best for our family(we have 2 kids). We also left family behind and wish they would do the same as we did, but I guess everyone overthere is too caught up on everything else to have time to really look around and see the real picture. It's a third world country. Many people living in one home just to cover expenses, even people whom are not related, and you see many cars parked infront of one single family home. Many people are stuck there due to employment/family and other reasons, but we were in the same boat as so many people over there and made the decision to move for the sake of our children. Just look around, Miami is not a place for kids anymore. If you let them out, they can be abducted by your friendly neighborhood child predator which there are allot of, just look into the fdle web site and see for yourself. And those are the legal caught ones can you imagine the illegal ones! Please people open your eyes. We did, and we are enjoying life much better.

Also if you look around all you see are angry faces and no smiles. Too many people= too many problems and too many illegals= much more problems.

Miami=

Old 07-22-2007, 09:19 AM

94 posts, read 134,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Even years ago this was the case. A good friend of mine, Rob came from Iowa in 1992 for work after hurricane Andrew. He started out with an exciting view of Miami but by the time he left in October 1993 he was so glad to get out it was amazing. That was my first experience with someone who hated Miami and one of so many to come. He's one of those "nice" farm guys with blond hair, blue eyes and friendly who got a hard lesson in Miami attitude. Between customers who try not to pay to workers who do as little as possible, to women who only care about money, he learned that Miami was not the place to be. The result? He moved back to Iowa and eventually started his own company , got married, had kids who are growing up with a quality of life they would never have had in Miami. I always thought it was funny that such a good looking guy had so much trouble finding a girlfriend in Miami. No bit loss, as he did get the family he wanted. The alternative would have been to remain single as I have.

Remember that was in 1993, Miami has only gotten worse. The city is so bad that no matter when you live there, any time in the past was the "good old days". So many industries have left Miami, on the news last night they mentioned how the marine industries have all but left for places like North Carolina. Every waterfront property is a candatate for a condo, so why bother with a business.

You would be an angry person and a rude driver if you lived in a place where you have no future. No matter how hard you work honestly, you will never have the "American dream" in Miami. The liars and criminals make sure you have to be one of them to get anywhere.

I disagree completely infact Real estate is growing in Miami more so than many places not just for "average" people but for the very rich who have realized the American dream in Miami . Have you ever been to Coral Cables or Golden Beach just to name a few many here make it big.
The angry drivers are because the Mayor is as close to useless as you can get and people are stuck in traffic with never ending construction thats not planned,supervised correctly not to mention traffic laws arent enforced .
Put aside angry drivers most of the problems in Miami are due to this particular Miami not doing his job its that simple. I find Miami has unreal potential but not with this mayor and MOST of the useless bunch in Miami regardless of party.
Its sad Cubans of which I am have blind loyalty to someone because he to is Cuban . Look at New Orleans probably the most useless Mayor in America who gets elected because of blind ethnic stupid loyalty.
However Miami offers the same chance if not more as many places to make lots money .

Old 07-22-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
no, i guess you dont get what i'm saying. the fact that anyone has to mention the fact that, and i quote, "By the way, I have NEVER been mistreated in Miami for speaking English" is rediculous. nobody should feel like they should be mistreated for speaking english in the united states.
Please spell ridiculous with an i, as it should be. I do get what you are saying, but the fact of the matter is that Miami is a place with a heavy Latin influence and immigrant population, take it or leave it. Not all places in this county or city force people to speak in Spanish. I would venture that those who do not speak English are not the most well educated. Moreover, as the poster above stated, this country will soon have a Latin majority, which means Spanish will become more and more a part of the current spoken word. I do believe it is ridiculous to keep stressing how badly people here are treated if they don't speak Spanish, when in my six years in Miami it has never happened. So yet again, re-read my sentence, as I don't "feel like" I should be anything.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:32 PM

i am so sorry for the spelling error. i didnt know this was a spelling bee. before correcting someone's spelling, and being rude about it, you should probably make sure your spelling it correct too, comprende?

Old 07-22-2007, 02:54 PM

I typically write on a word processor before pasting, so the chances of me making a mistake are very small. If you thought I was rude, then I apologize. Unlike other others (not you) I know on these boards, I don't put people down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami