Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2007, 05:20 PM

113 posts, read 468,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valwpcc9w6 View Post
Moreover, as the poster above stated, this country will soon have a Latin majority, which means Spanish will become more and more a part of the current spoken word.
You're joking right? You do realize that Hispanics make up less than 14% of the total US population. I know it might "feel" like there is a huge Latin movement to Miamians, but even with immigration and high Hispanic birth rates, the concept of a Latin majority in the USA as a whole anytime "soon" is absurd.

If anything, I think the (illegal) immigration influx is coming to an end as the American people have showed this is an extremely important issue now.

What do you think is going to happen to the Latin population in the USA when the borders are secure, there is a National ID card, and enforced employment laws?

I know these are all fictitious, but SOMETHING is going to happen, and my guess is any future laws/policies that get passed are NOT going to favor immigrants.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:05 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,211,940 times
no prob, val

Old 07-22-2007, 06:07 PM

975 posts, read 3,730,190 times
The country as a whole, no, but I bet the large metro areas on the coasts will reach 50% sooner rather than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixpilot View Post
You're joking right? You do realize that Hispanics make up less than 14% of the total US population. I know it might "feel" like there is a huge Latin movement to Miamians, but even with immigration and high Hispanic birth rates, the concept of a Latin majority in the USA as a whole anytime "soon" is absurd.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:15 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
The country as a whole, no, but I bet the large metro areas on the coasts will reach 50% sooner rather than later.
This country will never become a Hispanic majority, but it will become a minority majority (where non Hispanic Whites become a plurality of the country, rather than a majority, and fall under 50 percent of a share between Blacks, Asians, and Latin groups dominating over non Hispanic whites.).

Old 07-22-2007, 07:04 PM

58 posts, read 228,748 times
Quote:

If anything, I think the (illegal) immigration influx is coming to an end as the American people have showed this is an extremely important issue now.

What do you think is going to happen to the Latin population in the USA when the borders are secure, there is a National ID card, and enforced employment laws?

I know these are all fictitious, but SOMETHING is going to happen, and my guess is any future laws/policies that get passed are NOT going to favor immigrants.
Please don't kill the messenger. This is what I read, and it's based on demographic studies looking forward to the middle of the century. That's soon enough for me. For sure, certain States will have an Hispanic majority.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valwpcc9w6 View Post
Please don't kill the messenger. This is what I read, and it's based on demographic studies looking forward to the middle of the century. That's soon enough for me. For sure, certain States will have an Hispanic majority.
Read above. At most,those states states will become Hispanic plurality.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:41 PM

58 posts, read 228,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Read above. At most,those states states will become Hispanic plurality.
Read below. Not in all cases. From the Frisco Chronicle:

CALIFORNIA
Hispanics expected to be state's majority by 2042
Alameda County to have top proportion of Asian Americans
Meredith May, Chronicle Staff Writer

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Hispanics will make up a majority of California's population by 2042, while the state's highest percentage of Asian Americans will live in Alameda County and Pacific Islanders will concentrate in Santa Clara County, according to projections released Monday by the state Department of Finance....

By midcentury, it's estimated that Hispanics will comprise 52 percent of California's 59.5 million residents. Imperial County in Southern California will have the largest percentage of Hispanics.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:13 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times
Quote:

Actually, it is estimated that the country will have a Hispanic majority by as soon as 2029.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Actually, it is estimated that the country will have a Hispanic majority by as soon as 2029.
It will be a nationwide White plurality, not a Hispanic majority.Whites will continue to be the largest single "race" but "hispanics" will constitute over 25 percent of the population, dropping to share of non-"hispanic" whites down below 50 percent. If we SHUT DOWN our borders, we would still become a "white" pularity nation, because the birth rate among Hispanics is about three children per family. Compare with about 1 for whites. "Whites" are aging, and will eventually have negative growth. This aging process is similar to what is happening in Japan and other post-industrial nations, except those nations are not experiencing much immigration. Our population will continue to grow due to high fertility rates among existing Hispanics and the continuous stream of immigration from Europe and Asia.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:52 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
Hispanics constitute the majority of children under 5 years old in this country so even without immigration those children will become the majority at some point in their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami