Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 04:27 AM

23 posts, read 65,323 times

Advertisements

alex978- he works for the USDA. Good site for government jobs is usajobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 12:36 AM

17 posts, read 52,854 times
Default Bottomless pit-most going on unemployment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your.Decision View Post
I'm not going to sugar coat it -- it's going to be tough. Unemployment here is pretty bad and the job market is extremely competitive. Just be prepared for it to take a while to find a job (hopefully you can both survive on your husband's salary for a while, or have sufficient funds saved).
if you go the traditional corporate route-very tough. if you have a lucrative travel trade like leather-crafting ( they have lost cultural crafts here), or gun-smithing ( MANY GUNS OWNED) or a wedge industry that emerges to suit a need-like in the computer laptop associated ideas---other then that, office and production jobs are dying off.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:42 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,101,939 times
It´s going to be tough to find something within a reasonable commute of where you live and that offers the hours you are looking for. I am not saying there aren't jobs out there, but they may be at a Burger King in Miami Lakes and you might start work during rush hour and have a 4 hour shift every other day. That is the most likely scenario...although with Xmas coming soon, I have heard many retailers are going to be bringing on seasonal help. With that said, you could hit Aventura Mall and start at the department stores there. Maybe if you do well they will keep you on after the holidays...otherwise be prepared to be looking for work for a while so you aren't discouraged a month down the road with no leads. Also, craigslist has a lot of temporary jobs that can help tide you over until something better pans out. Don't worry about the lack of Spanish, just focus yor search on areas like NE Miami Dade, where Spanish is less common or SE Broward County.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:29 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,232,187 times
Hmm, I think that there are a lot ot jobs in this area, but the key to finding a good job, is networking, and going to less traditional places, for example, look at senior lliving places, there are openings for sales, management, recreation...and chat with people when you are out looking, talk to secretaries, last job I got, was because I was chatting with the receptionist at a place where I was interviewing, I left her my card, and called her a few days later, she told me about an opening at a place where her friend works, that had not even been posted any place yet. Make some cards up with your name, and phone number.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:15 PM

242 posts, read 313,709 times
Remember that in Miami, who you know is 1,000 times more important than what you know, hence the idiots you find here that have no problem finding work.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:17 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,288,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Your.Decision View Post
Remember that in Miami, who you know is 1,000 times more important than what you know, hence the idiots you find here that have no problem finding work.
I think you mean "that in the US"

It's not just Miami, wherever you go it's always who you know, not how much you know.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:56 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,130,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjiepants View Post
My husband and I are moving to the Miami area in a few weeks (Aventura), he has a government job and will be employed when we get there. I am concerned about being able to find a job, I have experience in retail, call centers, and banking. How tough is it to find jobs right now in the area? One downside is that I am NOT billingual- I only speak English. Thanks in advance for any helpful info!

Good luck! Born and raised here, only speak English and unless you decide to open your own business and be self employed, it's going to be hard. NOW, if you only spoke SPANISH, no problem getting a job Major companies will hire you if you don't speak a lick of English, imagine that I've experienced this at Publix, CVS, defunked Eckerd Drugs, Winn Dixie, Whole Foods (yep, even them) and other national/regional companies.

And here's a little story told to me by an older friend...He saw a sign for help wanted at a store, sign said MUST BE BLILINGUAL. He walked in and said he wanted to apply. Store manager said, "I'm sorry, we're looking for someone Biligual." Our friend told him, "But I am Bilingual, I speak English and Yiddish!" and he walked out.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:59 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,157,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
And here's a little story told to me by an older friend...He saw a sign for help wanted at a store, sign said MUST BE BLILINGUAL. He walked in and said he wanted to apply. Store manager said, "I'm sorry, we're looking for someone Biligual." Our friend told him, "But I am Bilingual, I speak English and Yiddish!" and he walked out.
Can you please specify where that happened?

Old 10-05-2010, 07:18 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,038,029 times
Most Customer service employees in the wholefoods by Pinecrest are blacks and then Caucasians. They have the worst attitude so apparently being bilingual is not the only thing that is not required to get a job there.

The Publix around my house has plenty of employees that are not bilingual and most customers are Hispanic.

I know many large employers that hire non bilingual people for customer service jobs.

Thera always north Miami and broward if things don't work out.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:38 AM

139 posts, read 382,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Most Customer service employees in the wholefoods by Pinecrest are blacks and then Caucasians. They have the worst attitude so apparently being bilingual is not the only thing that is not required to get a job there.

The Publix around my house has plenty of employees that are not bilingual and most customers are Hispanic.

I know many large employers that hire non bilingual people for customer service jobs.

Thera always north Miami and broward if things don't work out.
Unfortunately this Whole Foods is this way because the Store Team Leader is a Northern Black American guy. Trust me, I tried applying and also noticed the rude employees. Kinda glad I didn't get hired, which was only because I lied about having done a no call no show at a Tampa Whole Foods when I worked there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami